U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,835,439 times

Advertisements

It might be the fact that they generally came from the south with only limited input in the east. There's probably parts of Yorkshire and East Anglia that are predominantly Germanic in origin but for the most stock I think the stock of the British Isles is more closely aligned to Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria and even northern Italy.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

541 posts, read 1,237,604 times
If you take a look at this Wikipedia picture showing a typical British beach with typical British people on it, I really can't see any major differences to other "Northwestern Europeans" like the Dutch etc.
Just because there are a lot of black-haired and "tanned" Brits it doesn't mean that they are "Southern European".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...m_the_Pier.jpg

Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times
I ask myself the same question. I'm fully southern European and look like I'm from the British Isles, as you call them. I've heard it more times than I can remember. Maybe that's why I have a love-hate relationship with the Brits.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,441,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It might be the fact that they generally came from the south with only limited input in the east. There's probably parts of Yorkshire and East Anglia that are predominantly Germanic in origin but for the most stock I think the stock of the British Isles is more closely aligned to Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Austria and even northern Italy.
I'm sorry what?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
If you take a look at this Wikipedia picture showing a typical British beach with typical British people on it, I really can't see any major differences to other "Northwestern Europeans" like the Dutch etc.
Just because there are a lot of black-haired and "tanned" Brits it doesn't mean that they are "Southern European".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...m_the_Pier.jpg
As you can see most of them are pure white. Almost bleached. Nothing like the Spaniards.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM

618 posts, read 2,626,739 times
It's not that Brits look Southern Euro.. it's that most Spaniards don't. Spaniards are not dark and Med looking like Sicilians and Greeks.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,131,512 times
The Welsh, Northern English and Scots Irish, as well as the Black Irish and Northern Irish do have very dark hair and eyes. They seem to have medium complexions, with some more fair and other light skinned.

Some even seem to look Asian - my sister is partially of this ancestry and has slanted eyes. As did the late John Lennon.

In fact, all of the Beatles have dark hair and eyes. They seem to be perfect examples of this appearance.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
It's not that Brits look Southern Euro.. it's that most Spaniards don't. Spaniards are not dark and Med looking like Sicilians and Greeks.
The Spaniards vary. In Bilbao, they can look Celtic. In Barcelona, they can look Gallic. In Sevilla, they can almost look Moorish.

Same goes for Greece and Sicily. Northern Greece has features which more closely resemble those of the former Yugoslavia. As for Sicilians, we've all contributed to a lengthy thread on this. Olive skinned Sicilians are far less common than light skinned Sicilians. That's my heritage, and English/Irish is the first nationality I'm assumed to be, whether in Europe or the U.S./Canada. I should move to Argentina or Uruguay. They're the only places they assume I'm a local, or ancestrally from there.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-13-2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Welsh, Northern English and Scots Irish, as well as the Black Irish and Northern Irish do have very dark hair and eyes. They seem to have medium complexions, with some more fair and other light skinned.

Some even seem to look Asian - my sister is partially of this ancestry and has slanted eyes. As did the late John Lennon.

In fact, all of the Beatles have dark hair and eyes. They seem to be perfect examples of this appearance.
What lol?

I think americans have very warped views of other countries!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

What lol?

I think americans have very warped views of other countries! Blue eyes are very common! My whole fathers family have blue eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or