Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Your knowledge of European history is next to nihil. England was only invaded by Romans, Barbarians and William the Conqueror in 1066. Countries like Spain, France, Germany or Italy have been invaded dozens of times, they have changed hands many times. The migration of people from other parts of Europe is insignificant compared to countries like France, Spain or Germany.

If you watch films about England during the 40's, there were no non-Europeans there. Great Britain started to receive non-ethnic immigrants during the 50's, before there was none.
A country doesnt have to be 'invaded' to have an immigrant population though does it!!! Have you ever heard of the British Empire?? Dont you think that this might have something to do with it??

Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
A country doesnt have to be 'invaded' to have an immigrant population though does it!!! Have you ever heard of the British Empire?? Dont you think that this might have something to do with it??
Haven't you heard of French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch empires? You seem to think once again that the UK is somehow different to its neighbours for having had ruled an empire. This is the norm of all western European countries.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Haven't you heard of French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch empires? You seem to think once again that the UK is somehow different to its neighbours for having had ruled an empire. This is the norm of all western European countries.
Where have I said that!? Dont forget the question is 'why do so many people from the British Isles look southern European' again I say that 'perhaps' it is because the population of Britain is currently AND historically made up from people from 'other parts of the world' other than just Northern Europeans.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Where have I said that!? Dont forget the question is 'why do so many people from the British Isles look southern European' again I say that 'perhaps' it is because the population of Britain is currently AND historically made up from people from 'other parts of the world' other than just Northern Europeans.
"Population of Britain" and "population of British colonies" (former ones) is not one and the same thing.
You are implying that it's one continuum somehow.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Population of Britain" and "population of British colonies" (former ones) is not one and the same thing.
You are implying that it's one continuum somehow.
No but there is a percentage of people in Britain that have ancestors from 'former British colonies' particularly in the cities. I am just suggesting that this may have had an impact on the 'look' of some Britains which in turn can give the impression that 'people of Britain look southern European' - look it wasnt me that started this thread but I have heard many times before that 'on average' Britains are 'darker' than other northern Europeans and as Britain had an empire that included 1/4 of the worlds population and as Britain it may have something to do with it! Before French User starts I know other European countries had empires but not so much - particularly other northern European countries. Perhaps the same question could be asked about France - why do so many people from France look southern European? and perhaps you could summise the same thing!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
No but there is a percentage of people in Britain that have ancestors from 'former British colonies' particularly in the cities.
Those people went to the UK as immigrants, they were not already British citizens! It doesn't not makes a big difference if they were coming from a country ruled by the UK or not. That fact is that all people that are non-white in the UK have non-British recent origins, which doesn't mean that they are not British, but thay are British of non-british origins.

Quote:
I am just suggesting that this may have had an impact on the 'look' of some Britains which in turn can give the impression that 'people of Britain look southern European'
Most British immigration was made of people coming from south Asia, west indies or Africa. I don't see how one can confuse these looks for southern European.

Quote:
look it wasnt me that started this thread but I have heard many times before that 'on average' Britains are 'darker' than other northern Europeans
I never noticed that British looked more southern Europeans than, say, Germans. It might even be the reverse following my observations. It is just that many people of British ancestry want to make appear their country "less northern" than it is; maybe because they don't want to be lumped with the other Germanic countries, especially with Germany (post WW2 syndrome maybe).

Quote:
nd as Britain had an empire that included 1/4 of the worlds population and as Britain it may have something to do with it! Before French User starts I know other European countries had empires but not so much - particularly other northern European countries.
Netherlands are not northern European ?? non-white people are now in all northern European countries, included Scandinavia.

Quote:
Perhaps the same question could be asked about France - why do so many people from France look southern European? and perhaps you could summise the same thing!!!
Many people in France look southern European because they ARE southern European... In France we don't need to have ancestry from another country to be southern European origin since more than half of the country is IN southern Europe.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Those people went to the UK as immigrants, they were not already British citizens! It doesn't not makes a big difference if they were coming from a country ruled by the UK or not. That fact is that all people that are non-white in the UK have non-British recent origins, which doesn't mean that they are not British, but thay are British of non-british origins.

Most British immigration was made of people coming from south Asia, west indies or Africa. I don't see how one can confuse these looks for southern European.

I never noticed that British looked more southern Europeans than, say, Germans. It might even be the reverse following my observations. It is just that many people of British ancestry want to make appear their country "less northern" than it is; maybe because they don't want to be lumped with the other Germanic countries, especially with Germany (post WW2 syndrome maybe).

Netherlands are not northern European ?? non-white people are now in all northern European countries, included Scandinavia.

Many people in France look southern European because they ARE southern European... In France we don't need to have ancestry from another country to be southern European origin since more than half of the country is IN southern Europe.
You are talking rubbish!! Why on earth wouldn't the British want to be 'lumped in' as you so elegantly put it with the Germans!!! The Germans are just about the most successful nation in Europe!! Do you seriously believe that the British would rather be 'considered as southern European!! Believe me Britain's would rather be German than French, and it doesn't matter how often you harp on about France being southern European it IS NOT! it is Western European, you are the one with the 'fixation about wanting to be southern European not me, and not any other Britain of any col our or creed!!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM

And I say again just because my kids have black skin it DOES NOT make them any less British than somebody white!!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Uk had a much more influential effect than those countries especially the Netherlands.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
London has a English feel to it. London (also New York) to me is a VERY Anglo city. Both APris and London as as much international, on is international in an Anglo way the other in a french way. That's it.
Paris is not International, they do not speak English in Paris.

London is International.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe