Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
The look of some british people like mr bean are pretty common in most parts of the UK(Ireland Included), I havent seen it anywhere else in northern europe.
Do you consider having brown hair and brown eyes a Mediterranean look? I think the reason why is because the population of the British Isles is pretty heterogenous.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Looks all come to migration across the ages and people from wales, Ireland, southwestern Britain have quite alot of Iberian (Northwestern spain) blood in them. People from the west and scotland also are celts - the native people that came to britain during the ice age (I think????) People from the east are anglo saxons decendents places from Denmark, germany etc... Also the viking left I mark... People from all other the place mixed up. Personally some british people do like southern european but with one difference the skin complexsion.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM

599 posts, read 2,592,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
In general it seems to me that people in England look different from Scots and Irish. Can't pinpoint why. Not just colouring but their features. Blue eyes are very common in Scotland.

Yes, English look more horsy, isnt it? at least on average, the welsh and Irish are overall more stocky, the scots probably fall in between.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Do you consider having brown hair and brown eyes a Mediterranean look? I think the reason why is because the population of the British Isles is pretty heterogenous.
Of course pigmentation can make some opinions biased, but so many dark haired brits dont look like a darker haired version of northern european but just different, probably the neolithic european origin of most british peoples explain this.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Yes, English look more horsy, isnt it? at least on average, the welsh and Irish are overall more stocky, the scots probably fall in between.
More likely to see Roman noses with the English. Scots were too tough to let those Romans near their women!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
More likely to see Roman noses with the English. Scots were too tough to let those Romans near their women!
Most of the dark phenotypes found in the British Isles aren't roman derived but rather brythonic, therefore they always were present there.

There were the Picts who inhabitated modern-day northern scotland and were cited by roman emperor tacitus as being short and of darker features.

According to Tacitus's biography of Agricola, the Silures usually had a dark complexion and curly hair. Due to their appearance, Tacitus hinted that they may have crossed over from Spain at an earlier date.
"the swarthy faces of the Silures, the curly quality, in general, of their hair, and the position of Spain opposite their shores, attest to the passage of Iberians in old days and the occupation by them of these districts"
If you want know how the Picts look, you need to visit Scotland where the bulk of their descendants live. There you will see that, despite the fact that there is a higher proportion of red-haired people than anywhere else in the world, the majority of Scots are dark-haired

I have visited Scotland a few times (edinburgh twice and inverness once) and in general they look very much like I've expected, mainly dark-brown to black haired with the odd smidgin of ginger and blond,whom are taller with usually paler complexions.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Not that many do, but some do. Chalk it up to the Roman presence in the British Isles.

A large number of Brits have medium brown to dark brown hair. When in Europe, they either think I'm American (well, yes) or dark Brit (wrong, opposite end of the continent).

Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
The look of some british people like mr bean are pretty common in most parts of the UK(Ireland Included), I havent seen it anywhere else in northern europe.
Yes there are quite a few people who look southern european (skin colour). I know people who are pure protestant and they are pure brown, they obviously have british roots.

I have no idea why this happens. I have no reasoning. I dont think its got anything to do with migration patterns as there really isnt any links between scotland and spain.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
In general it seems to me that people in England look different from Scots and Irish. Can't pinpoint why. Not just colouring but their features. Blue eyes are very common in Scotland.
Cant say ive noticed much difference. The only difference ive noticed is in southern england where theres alot of migrants.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes there are quite a few people who look southern european (skin colour). I know people who are pure protestant and they are pure brown, they obviously have british roots.

I have no idea why this happens. I have no reasoning. I dont think its got anything to do with migration patterns as there really isnt any links between scotland and spain.
I believe Nw spain is a celtic nation so there is a connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe