Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

Intermarriage.
And a huge population from Southern/ Southeastern Europe / south of the Mediterranean
- From Gibraltar, Cyprus, Malta, former Empire strongholds
- a lot of Spaniards, Spanish, quite many Greeks, Israelis, Lybians, Egyptians, you name it
- more recently, Turks , Algerians, Romanian and Bulgarians

The days of the red haired green eyed John Bull are , I fear, over....

Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM

200 posts, read 274,003 times
Celts are Meditteranean people plus the original Britons were darker too.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Celts are Meditteranean people plus the original Britons were darker too.
Celts were a culture, not a 'people'. And celtic culture was from central Europe, an area that is separated to mediterranean region by the Alps.

Again on person that want British to be dark, celts or 'mediterranean' ! 'don caballero' you are discovered!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM

200 posts, read 274,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Celts were a culture, not a 'people'. And celtic culture was from central Europe, an area that is separated to mediterranean region by the Alps.

Again on person that want British to be dark, celts or 'mediterranean' ! 'don caballero' you are discovered!
Celts were an ethnic group and a culture (cultures form around ethnic groups for the most part) and they descend from the people who migrated from Anatolia through the Balkans eventually settling in central Europe.

The Italics also descend from the same people.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM

614 posts, read 3,212,123 times
Quote:
Celts were an ethnic group and a culture (cultures form around ethnic groups for the most part) and they descend from the people who migrated from Anatolia through the Balkans eventually settling in central Europe.

Well except some southerners who have other ancient links like Phoenician, Greek, and whatnot.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Welsh are said to be one of the 'purest' original Briton/Brythonic populations in the Isles. Many Welsh have very dark hair, e.g. Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta- Jones. There's also the 'Black Irish' in Ireland. Dark brown almost black hair and grey eyes seems to be an Irish look.

Are you Irish American? Because my Irish American relatives who have dark skin, brown hair and maybe blue or brown eyes are called "the dark Irish" due to the color of their skin being almost olive, not the hair color. One side of my family has several members who are like that (and others are fair with dark hair, or brown hair). And they come from the most ancient parts of Ireland where Irish is still spoken and have old Irish names.

There are many Irish, also, who have very dark hair, the extremely fair skin and blue eyes.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:

OMG, does that make me part Turkish <g>?

I have a Greek immigrant neighbor and he looks SO Celtic and in fact, when he learned I was of Irish ancestry, he said to me, "You know, I am told I look very Irish" and I told him that indeed he does, very much so.

And the Greeks are near Turkey, of course.

Now, for the first time, I am wondering if this Greek man is of very ancient Celt origins.

Is this possible? He was, without a doubt, someone who had the looks of a Celt.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I have a Greek immigrant neighbor and he looks SO Celtic and in fact, when he learned I was of Irish ancestry, he said to me, "You know, I am told I look very Irish" and I told him that indeed he does, very much so.
The wave of migration that brought the Greek language, in ancient times, was from southern Russia/Ukraine area and also branched off into Armenian. Greeks also have some Slavic ancestry from the Slavic migration into the Balkans, so if anything it is possible that your neighbor has some sort of "Slavic" type influence.

I've seen some Greeks who looked very much Russian. Given their location it is surprising how many Greeks are so light. I've seen a few who do look "Celtic" indeed, as well. I can show you pictures if you'd like.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
The wave of migration that brought the Greek language, in ancient times, was from southern Russia/Ukraine area and also branched off into Armenian. Greeks also have some Slavic ancestry from the Slavic migration into the Balkans, so if anything it is possible that your neighbor has some sort of "Slavic" type influence.

I've seen some Greeks who looked very much Russian. Given their location it is surprising how many Greeks are so light. I've seen a few who do look "Celtic" indeed, as well. I can show you pictures if you'd like.
I had a Greek friend who once told me that Greeks are big into wrestling and that this came from the Russian heritage that they have in part. He spoke of physical strength being a valued quality that is shared with the Russians by the Greeks. Does that make sense to you? He told me that the Greeks are very much influenced by a Russian heritage. Interesting.

Yes, I would like to see the photos.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I had a Greek friend who once told me that Greeks are big into wrestling and that this came from the Russian heritage that they have in part. He spoke of physical strength being a valued quality that is shared with the Russians by the Greeks. Does that make sense to you? He told me that the Greeks are very much influenced by a Russian heritage. Interesting.

Yes, I would like to see the photos.
I can message them to you. It's not that Greeks are directly "Russian" but the ancestral group that brought the Greek language into the Balkans, called the Ionians, came south from Eastern Europe and may have been similar to modern day people from those regions not to mention all of the Balkans including Greece has some Slavic heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe