Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Owen I am not trying to 'upset people', and I am genuinly sorry if I am upsetting you I am not being hysterical or trying to be confrontational but you must see that WE ALL have ancestors from another continent, thats my point!!!! I am afraid British natives have all sorts of different backgrounds, your ideologies are outdated, I am now beginning to understand why there is so much civil unrest in Northern Ireland if its populace are so adamant on some kind of non-existant racial and cultural purity. I bet there are ancestors of yours that would suprise you somewhat, if you have say an Italian in your family from 3 generations ago would that make you any less British? Think of my girls they may be darker skinned but they have a side of their family that is British for god knows how many generations are they to discount that side of their family totally just because of their colour? I am not suggesting things these days are as bad as say the ridiculous Nazi views on 'racial purity' but to think that Britains are somehow different to French, Germans Italians or Austrians is however rather an old fashioned way of thinking.
I'm not talking about British Nationality i'm talking about British Heritage and blood. People from Africa are not British native! End of discussion.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I'm not talking about British Nationality i'm talking about British Heritage and blood. People from Africa are not British native! End of discussion.
My kids ARE NOT from Africa, why can't you understand? There is only one lineage of their historical family from Africa, I don't think there is one single person in Britain that does not have immigrants blood in their past family somewhere, you just cannot base a Britain's 'British' purity just on the colour of their skin!!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
My kids ARE NOT from Africa, why can't you understand? There is only one lineage of their historical family from Africa, I don't think there is one single person in Britain that does not have immigrants blood in their past family somewhere, you just cannot base a Britain's 'British' purity just on the colour of their skin!!
No they aren't from Africa and they are British it is just that they do have recent ancestry from outside of Britain and Europe. There is nothing wrong with this but when people are talking about British looks they are talking about people that have all their known ancestry there. If someone is British like Ben Kingsley but with some Indian ancestry he is not a good representative of what people think of as British looks.

Phil Lynott is a great Irishman and I'm really proud to call him that but you wouldn't put him up as an example of what an Irishman looks like. There is nothing wrong with having ancestry from many countries but someone that does have mixed ancestry doesn't look like a person who has no known ancestry from outside that country.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
No they aren't from Africa and they are British it is just that they do have recent ancestry from outside of Britain and Europe. There is nothing wrong with this but when people are talking about British looks they are talking about people that have all their known ancestry there. If someone is British like Ben Kingsley but with some Indian ancestry he is not a good representative of what people think of as British looks.

Phil Lynott is a great Irishman and I'm really proud to call him that but you wouldn't put him up as an example of what an Irishman looks like. There is nothing wrong with having ancestry from many countries but someone that does have mixed ancestry doesn't look like a person who has no known ancestry from outside that country.
I can see what you are saying, the point I make is that there is nobody in Britain that doesn't have ancestors from outside the country, in other words how far back does your ancestory have to go before you can categorically say you, and therefore your looks, are 'British'? Also I have a Spanish uncle, my cousins share the rest of their family with me, does it mean that because there is just one Spaniard in their family line amongst possibly dozens of generation of British forebears that they cannot count themselves as having 'British' looks? Like I said before we all have 'foreign' forefathers at some point down the line. Its because of this 'heritage' I believe that Britain's can't be said to have 'a look', it is impossible to distinguish modern Britain's 'heritage' I honestly believe that most of us 'Brits' would be in for a surprise or two if we new all of our 'roots' :-)

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
I don't know about Greeks, Maltese and Cypriots, but if you dress most British with Spanish made clothes, let them live under a sunny weather during 4 or 5 years and subject them to a very strict diet, they could pass for Spanish, perhaps not Mediterranean Spanish. Of course, you always find extremes both among Spanish and British.
That's one of the greatest lies. Spaniards look nothing like the British. How many Spaniards you know look like Rooney or Keane? British people have been in sunnier weather than Spain, in Australia, South Africa,etc... However they're still fair since Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer. Spaniards look more like Argentinians, Uruguayans, Cubans,etc...[/quote]

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
No offence but theres tan folk in my school and you can tell by looking at them taht they are from here. So that makes your theory wrong.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:

If your kids are half Black as you claim, then they have African ancestry. It might not directly from Africa(e.g. Nigeria/Cameroon), but the from the West Indies. Africans unfortunately were brought as slaves in the New World. Whether you like them or not, facts are facts. Black people are indigenous to Africa, not Britain. Are you making fun of Black people? We all know they came from Africa. The question here concerns White Britons.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
They might have dark hair but they are not dark enough to be Southern European. Southern Europeans have dark feautures and their look is really different.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
If your kids are half Black as you claim, then they have African ancestry. It might not directly from Africa(e.g. Nigeria/Cameroon), but the from the West Indies. Africans unfortunately were brought as slaves in the New World. Whether you like them or not, facts are facts. Black people are indigenous to Africa, not Britain. Are you making fun of Black people? We all know they came from Africa. The question here concerns White Britons.
Am I making fun!!! Is that supposed to be a joke?? They are my kids for gods sake!!, they have just as much 'white' ancestory as black but you completely ignore one whole family lineage - all you can see is the 'African' side to them, like I said before somebodies colour DOES NOT tell the full story of their heritage, all of this is besides the point I am trying to make - you cannot claim that somebody has a pure 'British' heritage just because they are white, or blond, or blue eyed, or brown eyed or whatever - there is NO British look because Britains are a people 'morphed' from (originally) people from all over Europe and (more recently) people from all over the world - why is this being so difficult for you to understand?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Am I making fun!!! Is that supposed to be a joke?? They are my kids for gods sake!!, they have just as much 'white' ancestory as black but you completely ignore one whole family lineage - all you can see is the 'African' side to them, like I said before somebodies colour DOES NOT tell the full story of their heritage, all of this is besides the point I am trying to make - you cannot claim that somebody has a pure 'British' heritage just because they are white, or blond, or blue eyed, or brown eyed or whatever - there is NO British look because Britains are a people 'morphed' from (originally) people from all over Europe and (more recently) people from all over the world - why is this being so difficult for you to understand?

What do you mean by colour doesn't tell the whole story? Don't you know dark skin colour is very beneficial in climates such as that equatorial Africa/southern India and pale skin is beneficiary to climates such as that cloudy Northern Europe? Among pure-bred Africans, a person of mixed ancestry would be obvious, the same would be among Whites.You did not comprehend what I said. Today we know there are immigrants from all over the world that could be found all over Europe not just in Britain. There are actually more Black people in France and Portugal from former colonial territories than in Britain. Here it's concerning the descendants of the original/indigenous inhabitants of the British Isles who are similar to their neighboring nations in North-West Europe. The British look is drawn from the vast majority of the indigenous people of the Isles, do you get it now? I understand you feel for your children as any parent, but you're being out of context. What you said of Britain, could be said of every country in Europe, but particularly western Europe which are Europe's wealthiest nations thus many people immigrate there for better opportunities and became citizens of those nations. Britain is no exception to the rule as you trying to show. There are Black people in Sweden too. However this concerns indigenous British. To make you understand , there are White people of Anglo-Saxon descent who are born in Africa in places such as Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana,etc... Can they say that they have the typical African look? How do you think indigenous Africans will take that? Think about it. I'm not denying that your kids have British ancestry, but it's not in the sense of the question! [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe