Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Please tell me what it is about my 'appearance' that means you will spot me as being 'British' straight away??
Again you are missing the point. A single Briton might or might not be identified "straight away," depending on the type. Some types in Gr. Br. as it has been already said here are unique to the area and some are common for few regions/countries.
However when you see a group of five-six people, then they are already identifiable, because they represent the variation of few types that are common for each and every country.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Again you are missing the point. A single Briton might or might not be identified "straight away," depending on the type. Some types in Gr. Br. as it has been already said here are unique to the area and some are common for few regions/countries.
However when you see a group of five-six people, then they are already identifiable, because they represent the variation of few types that are common for each and every country.
Obviously. Why is that so hard to understand for some people. We had repeated this thousands of times...

Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I think you havn't read my post. Read it again and try to answer to it.
I have read your post - you still seem to 'claim' that Britains all have a certain 'skin tone' or 'hair colour' or they all have certain shaped 'faces', I am still waiting for you to prove this ridiculous claim, you also tell me you know this because you have visited the island and you see some tourists in France yet chose to ignore the fact that I LIVE here and see thousands of Britians EVERY DAY. Listen - Britains DO NOT have a certain type of 'skin tone', Britains DO NOT have a certain type of hair colouring, Britains DO NOT have the same facial features, they are NOT all the same size, the same can be said of the French or Germans. Let me tell you something else, there IS NOT a law in Britain that says Britains are forbidden to 'mate' with anybody who does not have at least 100 generations of ancestors living on the island, believe it or not Britains have been 'mating' with people from 'other' parts of Europe and other parts of the world for thousands of years, what percentage of Britains do you think have nothing but British Isles people in their historical family tree? Saxonwwold may THINK that he has nothing but 'Anglo-Saxon' blood running throught his veins but I am telling you that this is EXTREMELY unlikely! Once and for all Britains are not inbreds, Britains are not all the same colour, height or shape and Britains do not all have identical features if you have proof that shows these island dwellers are all some kind of 'British clone' then please do show it to me?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Rubbish, and nobody is telling me what this supposed 'British' variation in looks is exactly?? Please, if you know what it is about Britains that make them distinguishable from either the French, Germans or Dutch then please tell me what it is?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I have read your post - you still seem to 'claim' that Britains all have a certain 'skin tone' or 'hair colour' or they all have certain shaped 'faces',
Are you serious?? (I really hope you are joking) Are are you really that much unable to understand you OWN language???
If you don't understand the meaning of the word "average" or the meaning of "statistically" I can't reslly do nothing more for you... You want that I translate my post in french?

Do you know what is a coktail? Do you think there are no difference between Pina Colada or a Cuba Libre... Some same ingredients in various proportions mixing together to not create the same result. That is not a difficult thing to understand. In a country, everyone has a different height, that doesn't help the fact that some countries have a higher population on average.
In each country there are people of various ages... that doesn't help that geographers considers that some countries have a younger population than others, etc.

All the things in the universe are made of the same elements... An elephant and a mousse are made of the same atoms... but the result of the combinations give a specific result.
All syphonies are made of different notes... but as a whole the results are completly different: the 5th symphony of Beethoven is not the same thing as the 40th of Mozart...
We could give you millions of exemples, but I'm not even sure that you want to understand, because you seem to be afraid of the conclusion.

For the last time, We don't care about individuals... we speak about populations.

Last edited by french user; 06-13-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Brits are lighter than french but darker than germans in my opinion. some areas of northern france are quite similar to british pigmentation tho. Although typical english faces hardly exist in continental europe, some belgian wallons and northern french can come close at times.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM

12 posts, read 19,238 times
French

I guess that easthome pretends to say that all English are mixed, and a lot with extracommunitaries, which is not the case at all.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Are you serious?? (I really hope you are joking) Are are you really that much unable to understand you OWN language???
If you don't understand the meaning of the word "average" or the meaning of "statistically" I can't reslly do nothing more for you... You want that I translate my post in french?

Do you know what is a coktail? Do you think there are no difference between Pina Colada or a Cuba Libre... Some same ingredients in various proportions mixing together to not create the same result. That is not a difficult thing to understand. In a country, everyone has a different height, that doesn't help the fact that some countries have a higher population on average.
In each country there are people of various ages... that doesn't help that geographers considers that some countries have a younger population than others, etc.

All the things in the universe are made of the same elements... An elephant and a mousse are made of the same atoms... but the result of the combinations give a specific result.
All syphonies are made of different notes... but as a whole the results are completly different: the 5th symphony of Beethoven is not the same thing as the 40th of Mozart...
We could give you millions of exemples, but I'm not even sure that you want to understand, because you seem to be afraid of the conclusion.

For the last time, We don't care about individuals... we speak about populations.
Then I ask again WHAT IS THIS MYTHICAL LOOK THAT IS UNIQUE TO THE 'AVERAGE' BRITISH PERSON? How is it that only a Britain is able to have this 'look'. How can you honestly believe that the British do not have 'genes' inherited from other Europeans considering that Britain is an island that has been inhabited by different waves of immigrants over thousands of years, do you honestly believe that when immigrants settled in Britain there was a 'no mating with the locals' policy every time! Do you actually believe that Britains are all of 'Anglo-Saxon' stock and that we can all trace our ancesters back to the builders of Stonehenge!!! Maybe we need to add another racial group to the Biology books, I suggest the following:-

1. Caucasian/white
2. Mongoloid/Asian,
3. Negroid/Black,
4. Australoid/Black
now also to include
5. Britishoid/luminous white

I would like to announce formal recognition of this new 'race', Britishoids.

Britishoids reside on an island off the coast of Europe, easily recognisable by their wild bright orange hair and luminous pasty white skin. The Britishoids are a 'backwards' race and their preferred diet is 'lard', they shy away from civilisation and shun the fine foods (legs of frogs, snails and horses) of their caucasian neighbours. During daylight hours Britishoids can be found clustered together under the shades of trees avoiding contact with direct sunlight as they are highly allergic to it and it tends to make them go a very bright red and will of course eventually kill them. Of an evening Britishoids can be found clustered together in pubs, where they avoid avidly fine wine and instead drink copious amounts of bad lager until they vomit, do not stare at a Britishoids 'pint' as you are liable to get a 'Glasgow kiss' accross your nose. Britishoids share an identical look due to thousands of years of in-breeding on their island, though its impossible to say what the Britishoid 'look' is a good example of this 'look' is 'that bloke from the Harry Potter films' there is however a tiny minority of 'bi-racial' Britishoids (about 59 million of them) that are a racial mix of Britishoids and Caucasions, or Britishoids and Negroids, Britishoids and Mongloids etc, a good example of this 'look' is 'that other bloke from the Harry Potter films', Sean Connery, Catherine Zeta Jones, Mr Bean or Ashley Cole.

Last edited by easthome; 06-14-2013 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 AM

52 posts, read 173,131 times
The answer is very simple. Let's say that you are an Indian that lived in England 25 years.... If you return to your town in India, people that don't know you will say...he's an Indian that lives in a western country. People that know you will call you English. If that person was born in England and studied in an English school, they'll detect it immediately. Now, imagine 2000 or 5000 years. Say that you take a pure Gypsy that arrived from India 500 years ago, and you place him in the place he came from, if he came from France..he will be called the French, etc. If non-English see somebody that looks like Indian, they will assume he's Indian because people don't know any better. An English might, I don't know, distinguish that he's from England.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Then I ask again WHAT IS THIS MYTHICAL LOOK THAT IS UNIQUE TO THE 'AVERAGE' BRITISH PERSON?
Are youreally so much ****** that you are unable to understand this which has been repeated to you billions of times??

We do not speak about everyone british person (=what is called "individuals" in the case that word was not known to you) but about the proportions of a whole population (which means statistical averages.) !

You can be Asian looking and being British, that doesn't help the fact that Chinese people, on average, do do have the same look as British people... You individual case as nothing to see the the proportions of the whole place...

Don't become as mad. Each look that exist in the UK (as in any place in the world) makes part of the coctail that is unique (each human coctail is unique, not only British one!). Can't you just understand this? The same way your individual look it made of the addition of how look each part of yourself (hair, nose, mouth, eyes, etc...). The British look is made of the addition of the various looks that exist in British population. If you can't understand that a population where 50% of the population is "black" (as in Brazil for exemple) is not the same as a population where, say, 5% is black, as in France or maybe Britain, we really can't do nothing more to you for understand these simple facts...
The same way, a population where 50% would be light-featured is not the same thing as a population where only 5% share this features...

British population is statistically much more nordic than French one, the same way Brasil population is "blacker" than France... Why does it bother you? In Brazil there are plenty of people who are not black, that doesn't help Brasil to be much more black than France... will I get mad if a Brasilian told me that Brazil is more black than France? No, because I accepts things as they are, being darker of or lighter is not better nor worse than the other. There are no reasons to be ashamed of this or that specific look as you are of your nordic-looking compatriots.

Quote:
How is it that only a Britain is able to have this 'look'.
Each country is its own cocktail. Where are you getting the Idea that only Britain does.
The nordic phenotypes of Britain that you so ashamed of are present in the other northern European countries. You can find people looking as Richard Branson, sting, Prince William, David Bowie, etc. in Germany (especially in the north), Netherlands, Denmark. But not in France, I'm sorry (which once again if you did not watched a map since our previous discussion is not in northern Europe... )

Quote:
How can you honestly believe that the British do not have 'genes' inherited from other Europeans considering that Britain is an island that has been inhabited by different waves of immigrants over thousands of years, do you honestly believe that when immigrants settled in Britain there was a 'no mating with the locals' policy every time!
Where did you get that crazy idea that British people have been never mixing. that mixings with non-northern European elements did occurs doesn't means that the "northern European genes" ahve been wiped out? Or did the non-northern European imigrants in Britain killed the northern European looking population? I was'nt aware of this event in British history.

Also, most of migrations waves to Britain came from people in the rest of northern Europe... Frankly have you seen on a map where the British isles are situated? Do you really think that it is easyer to go in Britain for mediterranean waves of populations than from other northern European countries??

All countries of northern Europe are mixed; but all have the particularity to have non-negligible specifically nordic looks. Britain is surely not the exception, its northern-Euro population is still existing, and making a big part of the population (if not the majority, depending how we define it) even if its seemed you'd prefer it wasn't there.

Quote:
Do you actually believe that Britains are all of 'Anglo-Saxon' stock and that we can all trace our ancesters back to the builders of Stonehenge!!!
For your information, the builders of Stonehenge were not Anglo-Saxons...

Quote:
Britishoids reside on an island off the coast of Europe, easily recognisable by their wild bright orange hair and luminous pasty white skin. The Britishoids are a 'backwards' race and their preferred diet is 'lard', they shy away from civilisation and shun the fine foods (legs of frogs, snails and horses) of their caucasian neighbours. During daylight hours Britishoids can be found clustered together under the shades of trees avoiding contact with direct sunlight as they are highly allergic to it and it tends to make them go a very bright red and will of course eventually kill them. Of an evening Britishoids can be found clustered together in pubs, where they avoid avidly fine wine and instead drink copious amounts of bad lager until they vomit, do not stare at a Britishoids 'pint' as you are liable to get a 'Glasgow kiss' accross your nose. Britishoids share an identical look due to thousands of years of in-breeding on their island, though its impossible to say what the Britishoid 'look' is a good example of this 'look' is 'that bloke from the Harry Potter films' there is however a tiny minority of 'bi-racial' Britishoids (about 59 million of them) that are a racial mix of Britishoids and Caucasions, or Britishoids and Negroids, Britishoids and Mongloids etc, a good example of this 'look' is 'that other bloke from the Harry Potter films',
You have really a low estime of britain and britain's identity to describe it that way...

Quote:
Sean Connery, Catherine Zeta Jones, Mr Bean
Ha! I was waiting to see here the famous trio "bean, ZetaJones, connery"... haha

Last edited by french user; 06-14-2013 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe