U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 PM
 
3,011 posts, read 3,307,633 times
Reputation: 1684

Advertisements

As if having the national flag displayed in every nook and cranny is some sort of positive thing? A better measurement towards the level of patriotism perhaps would be the level of social care and support given to a particular population, together with the pride induced being a citizen in such a place.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM
 
215 posts, read 285,073 times
Reputation: 151
Germany, France
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
 
599 posts, read 555,018 times
Reputation: 379
France, Russia, Poland and some ex Yugoslavian countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 PM
 
2,705 posts, read 984,510 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
France, Russia, Poland and some ex Yugoslavian countries.
Definitely agree with Russia, Poland and the Yugoslav republics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,201 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
I don't know which countries, but in my view patriotism is a sign of weakness and/or lack of reason/intelligence.
In other words, the more patriotic a country is, the less I like it.
Same as with religion/superstition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM
 
614 posts, read 301,674 times
Reputation: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't know which countries, but in my view patriotism is a sign of weakness and/or lack of reason/intelligence.
In other words, the more patriotic a country is, the less I like it.
Same as with religion/superstition.
No.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,201 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
No.

Well, it is my opinion, and yours is yours...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,147,373 times
Reputation: 2306
Russia by far. Not a bad thing either it is okay to be prideful of your country as long as you do not hate on other countries.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 03:17 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,201 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Russia by far. Not a bad thing either it is okay to be prideful of your country as long as you do not hate on other countries.
That's one of the reasons why I don't like patriotism. When people are proud of other people's achievements, people they don't even know, or people who lived long before them.

And whether people admit it or not, being proud of one's own country automatically means looking down on other countries. Again, most people won't admit it. Why aren't Germans proud of Portugal or Greece and put up the Portuguese or Greek flag in their gardens? At the end of the day because they believe in the illusion that they are related to the few people of their given country who actually achieved something in their lives. Like here in Portugal. People are so proud of their Ronaldo, it is just embarrassing. Mostly people who have never accomplished anything in their lives, people who are not related to Ronaldo in any way. People who merely happen to have the same country printed in their passports.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 PM
 
2,705 posts, read 984,510 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's one of the reasons why I don't like patriotism. When people are proud of other people's achievements, people they don't even know, or people who lived long before them.

And whether people admit it or not, being proud of one's own country automatically means looking down on other countries. Again, most people won't admit it. Why aren't Germans proud of Portugal or Greece and put up the Portuguese or Greek flag in their gardens? At the end of the day because they believe in the illusion that they are related to the few people of their given country who actually achieved something in their lives. Like here in Portugal. People are so proud of their Ronaldo, it is just embarrassing. Mostly people who have never accomplished anything in their lives, people who are not related to Ronaldo in any way. People who merely happen to have the same country printed in their passports.
I see where you are coming from, and I gotta say I agree with most points.
I think it's also important to draw a line between patriotism and nationalism. The former is rather harmless as it celebrates a country's achievements whereas the latter does so with the intent of putting down others.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top