Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of flags in Montenegro, Albania, Croatia. I know when people get married in Montenegro, there's a lead car waving the flag. I've even seen an American flag waving over here and in Albania!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Bumping my thread.....

Lets say if you had to generalize.... you have a neighbor who always flies the french flag, would you assume he/she is a supporter of the far right national front party?

For an individual, Waving a french flag outside of any sport competition would badly seen (excepted for official manifestations) I personally never seen this anywhere in France. Here you can see many people with union jacks on T- shirts, as a sort a fashion, this canno't be done with french flags, this would be seen as outragously over patriotic, and it is possuble that people would think such a person to be member of FN.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 AM

101 posts, read 320,993 times
Just like in Spain.
Waving the Spanish flag means you are Francoist and kitsch, or a follower of Real Madrid.
I personally think that waiving a flag is a rather corny gesture.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
For an individual, Waving a french flag outside of any sport competition would badly seen (excepted for official manifestations) I personally never seen this anywhere in France. Here you can see many people with union jacks on T- shirts, as a sort a fashion, this canno't be done with french flags, this would be seen as outragously over patriotic, and it is possuble that people would think such a person to be member of FN.
At some point the Star Spangled Banner was popular among young people as a fashion accessory too, though it seems to have dwindled in favor of the Union Jack. At high school, I had a classmate that had a "God bless America" t-shirt with a giant flag on it as well as a bald eagle.

About the French flag, once in a blue moon I see one in front of a house (always in rural areas in traditionally right-wing regions like Alsace, Provence or Vendée), but it is extremely rare. Once, noticing a farmer flying it on his tractor, a relative said that he wouldn't need to show him his Front National member card to prove he's a fascist (sic). So yes, it seems frowned upon among a big part of the population.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
The situation in the UK is similar to France, you will occasionally see a flag outside someone's house, but it is very rare, and they will probably be branded a racist BNP supporter. Within a 2 mile radius of this area, I would say only one house has a a flag outside of it, and you only see more flags appearing during sporting events or maybe national events (they were more common during the Olympics and the Jubilee).

Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Most to Least Patriotic European Countries:

Serbia
Croatia
Bosnia
Montenegro
Albania
Italy
Portugal
Greece
Macedonia
Scotland
Ireland
Northern Ireland
Wales
England
Spain
France
Belarus
Poland
Ukraine
Bulgaria
Romania
Hungary
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Netherlands
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Austria
Slovenia
Moldova
Belgium
Germany
San Marino
Andorra
Malta
Iceland
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Switzerland

Which countries do you think are way to high/low on my list?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I would agree with England during sporting events, but not at all otherwise.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The situation in the UK is similar to France, you will occasionally see a flag outside someone's house, but it is very rare, and they will probably be branded a racist BNP supporter. Within a 2 mile radius of this area, I would say only one house has a a flag outside of it, and you only see more flags appearing during sporting events or maybe national events (they were more common during the Olympics and the Jubilee).
Teh funny thing is that many french young people have union jacks in many to appear "cool" or "fashion". Isn't it the case in the UK? Or do young British have french flags on thei items to appear cool and fashion (I will be surpised if it was the case! ...

Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 10,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Most to Least Patriotic European Countries:

Which countries do you think are way to high/low on my list?
I think Slovakia might be to high. We did not want the national anthem played in schools after all.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
I remember my sis in law would cover her sofa with a cloth that had a big name of Portugal on it even if no foreign person would see it so for me Portuguese are the most Patriotic people.

Once I also had an argument with a Portuguese friend in his 50's because I told him
Portuguese famous explorer Ferdinand Magellan renounced his Portuguese nationality when his proposed expedition to Asia was rejected by the Portuguese King. This friend of mine got so angry and said " how can he do it when at that time there were still no passports ? " of couse I knew he knew that what he said was stupid but he just got so pissed.

Most Portuguese do not want to buy foreign products in the grocery, they always try to buy their own products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe