U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM

10,417 posts, read 12,371,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Well, you've put all of ex-Yugoslavia except Slovenia (and Macedonia close to the top) so I was wondering.. But I was more interested about your idea of the definition.
"Patriotic" imo just means showing love for your country, being proud of it and willing to defend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,832,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Actually he was right. "Nationality" as we think about it know didn't exist back then. There is no way you could give up your nationality because there wasn't one in the first place.
But what the explorer did was saying something like " from this day I am not a Portuguese any more ". That is also like giving up the nationality right ?

Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 AM

321 posts, read 521,672 times
Of what I've observed of Eastern Europeans (especially at sporting events like the UEFA Euros or FIFA World Cup), they seem to be the most patriotic Europeans.

I've always thought the Italians were a patriotic bunch, but maybe it's just the younger generations who were born to Italian immigrants who moved out of Europe, who partake in this patriotic feeling for Italy.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,787 times
I'd go for Germany, France, and the U.K., in that order.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,592,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
go to northern Ireland , union jacks are all over the shop , especially at this time of year
I don't care what is happening there, I am referring to what I see within England (can't comment on Scotland or Wales). NI is a small part of the UK.

So, again, I disagree completely, I do not think the UK is the most patriotic country in Europe, from observations as a person living here (and having lived here all of my life). We are probably the most self-deprecating country in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Teh funny thing is that many french young people have union jacks in many to appear "cool" or "fashion". Isn't it the case in the UK? Or do young British have french flags on thei items to appear cool and fashion (I will be surpised if it was the case! ...
No -- but we do have stars and stripes on a lot of apparel here. I see clothing with union jacks on it too, but that isn't a sign of pride or nationalism. It's merely a fashion statement.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,057,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No -- but we do have stars and stripes on a lot of apparel here. I see clothing with union jacks on it too, but that isn't a sign of pride or nationalism. It's merely a fashion statement.
Yes, but would you think that the french flag could become a fashion statement in the UK?? I don't think it could be. I don't think union jacks can be fashion in an Anglophobic country.

Is Francophobia still strong in the UK? When I was teenager, in the 90's, I even saw in the gate of a shop "no dogs, no french", and having had insults from English youngs because of my nationality (I must look french, since they recoginsed I was without speaking). Obviously this is due to a small margin, I also recieved welcomes while there.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,069,589 times
Get over yourself!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,592,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Yes, but would you think that the french flag could become a fashion statement in the UK?? I don't think it could be. I don't think union jacks can be fashion in an Anglophobic country.

Is Francophobia still strong in the UK? When I was teenager, in the 90's, I even saw in the gate of a shop "no dogs, no french", and having had insults from English youngs because of my nationality (I must look french, since they recoginsed I was without speaking). Obviously this is due to a small margin, I also recieved welcomes while there.
What are you talking about? I don't think France is an Anglophobic country. You must have me confused with someone else.

Could the French flag become a fashion statement in the UK? Probably not - it's a fairly plain tricolour flag.

As for Francophobia - well, I hear groups of French students talking in French when walking around my city, and nobody shouts at them or attacks them, and I have never seen a shop sign saying ' no French', so I am inclined to think no, and I doubt such a thing ever existed.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,943,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't care what is happening there, I am referring to what I see within England (can't comment on Scotland or Wales). NI is a small part of the UK.

So, again, I disagree completely, I do not think the UK is the most patriotic country in Europe, from observations as a person living here (and having lived here all of my life). We are probably the most self-deprecating country in Europe.

I love the british self depreciating humour , no reason one cant be both patriotic and self depreciating

Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,818,757 times
This English house really likes flying their flag:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Westm...,,0,-3.29&z=14

A lot of flags even for North American standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or