Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 PM

38 posts, read 58,098 times

Advertisements

I have to become fluent in a foreign language at my university, and am basically debating between German and French (these two primarily compose my heritage), but I'm quite torn!
The primary deciding factor for me will be which culture I feel most "congruent" with- for the sake of visits, literature, music, etc, or maybe even future residency. And so, I am wondering how I may best go about investigating the culture of both countries, so I can contrast them.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
It depends on your personality, job, interests,of course. I have tried both and like French very much. Many people will say learn German - some even think it is easier!- esp,as their economy's the stronger. If you are in the technical or scientific fields , classical music and the opers, then German would be better. You must seriously consider the GENERAL characteristics, the Germans can be uptight and serious people. Are you a take-it-on-the-fly sort, like to laugh, a loner, moody?

I found French easier but some find German spelling less of a challenge. You need to tell us much more of yourself we can offer useful tips. The better advice would be from somone who isn't a native-speaker or who didn't grow up in either countries. Ask your seniors or lecturers.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM

38 posts, read 58,098 times
Quote:
It depends on your personality, job, interests,of course. I have tried both and like French very much. Many people will say learn German - some even think it is easier!- esp,as their economy's the stronger. If you are in the technical or scientific fields , classical music and the opers, then German would be better. You must seriously consider the GENERAL characteristics, the Germans can be uptight and serious people. Are you a take-it-on-the-fly sort, like to laugh, a loner, moody?

I found French easier but some find German spelling less of a challenge. You need to tell us much more of yourself we can offer useful tips. The better advice would be from somone who isn't a native-speaker or who didn't grow up in either countries. Ask your seniors or lecturers.
Hmm, I think I present more of an extreme dichotomy than most between a very merry, unrestrained side (I am known for my laughter), and a serious, contemplative side, though I'd say I typically err more towards the former outwardly. I am artistic, and have associated interests; I appreciate food, music, writing, paintings, beauty. I also have a strong philosophical bent, and am interested in intellectual pursuits. I love conversation from the silly and frivolous to the serious and multi-faceted; only if the vibe is particularly arrogant, naive, or one-dimensional is this pursuit lost on me. Perhaps it's worth noting that I pay the most minimal respect to conventional "social laws" here in the US (and I'm sometimes openly defiant of them). I don't imagine this would translate strongly into a disrespect for the "social laws" of another culture, but if the culture is particularly strict in such manners then perhaps this could be an issue. Outside of this particular idiosyncrasy, I have a very open and gentle disposition, and socialize with relative ease in most situations. I can sometimes come off as neurotic and/or detached.
What personality characteristics would you say are most important to "meshing" with either culture?
The relevance to my occupation is low on my list of concerns, but if it helps, I am going in the direction of Counseling.

Thanks!

Last edited by MyDogRulesTheUniverse; 01-02-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 02:46 PM

70 posts, read 106,753 times
That is easy , try with :

Music:
Raphaël
Alizée
Monogrenade
M. Pokora
In-Grid

Films:
Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amélie Poulain
L'Auberge Espagnole
Parlez moi de la pluie
Le Papillon
Mauvaise foi
Lila dit ça

Magazines:
Le Nouvel Observateur
Manière de voir
Courrier International

Newspapers:
Le monde
Le Figaro
Liberation

Tv channels:
TV5 Monde
TF-1
France 24

Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM

OP, sory for the late reply, didn't quite know what to say without coming off as cynical. Well, the Germans and Austrians can be neurotic so there's a ready market out there. You sound like a very thoughtful and intellectual which 's good but am not so sure about the laughter part. I'm a laugher myself but have had difficulties with the lack of humour ( laughing at people's misfortunes doesn't count) and kindness. My being open and friendly doesn't work here.

What particular laws are you referring to?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM

What laws are you referring to ? Lots of neurotic and arrogant (though it will be denied) people here so you will have a ready market! You sound like a very rounded person but let me gently warn you that my being open , friendly and smiling DOESN"T work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe