U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

177 posts, read 351,129 times

Advertisements

My understanding from seeing undercover programs on 'travelers' is that they do indeed travel, and take advantage of people who may think they are legitimate workmen, although when someone in a brand new pickup truck shows up at your door out of the blue, telling you that your roof needs to be repaired/replaced or that your driveway needs to be sealed, you should slam the door and call the local police. I really don't know how Irish they are, I don't think that's relevant. They appear to be scam artists, and reading the above posts indicating that the majority of them are collecting unemployment, they are just leeching off our tax dollars to support their mansions, covert community and unconventional lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM

9,995 posts, read 11,668,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Considering the small number of Travellers within the population of Ireland and UK and their high rate of endogamy, couldn't that lead to problems of inbreeding?

I would think so. It has been proven the Ashkenazi Jewish population of Europe, which due to vississitudes and a selection for cognitively demanding tasks,became an unusually intelligent group, also suffers a disproportionate number of physical health issues from their inbreeding.

It would be interesting to see if the travelers have similar issues. I suspect the illiteracy of the travelers is largely cultural, as they don't allow their kids to complete school, marry and have children young, and perpetuate the cycle. I recall reading somewhere that they are 100% Irish genetically, meaning they are an indigenous population (at least in Ireland), but that does not mean they are identical to the larger population. I also don't think they have been separate for that long (1-200 years?), but I could be wrong.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,963,075 times
Quote:
Considering the small number of Travellers within the population of Ireland and UK and their high rate of endogamy, couldn't that lead to problems of inbreeding?
that problem has long existed

Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 AM

9,518 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I would think so. It has been proven the Ashkenazi Jewish population of Europe, which due to vississitudes and a selection for cognitively demanding tasks,became an unusually intelligent group, also suffers a disproportionate number of physical health issues from their inbreeding.
You may be thinking of some small ultra-Orthodox sects who tend to marry within their own kind.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,739,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
that problem has long existed
Well what's good for the mother goose.....

Royal intermarriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,342 times
Quote:
Do they have the same DNA as other Irish or are they descended from the Rom people like the "gypsies" on the Continent?
My research tells me they have genetic markers separate from the general Irish population that have actually resulted in some health deficiencies in their DNA although nothing as debilitating as Tay-Sachs in the Jewish community or Sickle Cell Anemia in the African-American culture. Two recessive genes matching up in a small gene pool create a dominant gene, beneficial or detrimental. That having been said? Irish Travellers are still solidly core to the greater Irish tribe and in my opinion, horribly misunderstood and abused...makes the Irish in me boil, it does...

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,342 times
Give me a break. All Irish Travellers no matter where they are located speak English probably far more than they speak Shelta/Gammon known as 'the Cant'. The Cant is generally used when speaking among one another so outsiders don't know what they are talking about or planning. Go to some of the forums at 'Pavee Point' if you wish to see an example of it in action. By the way, the ITs in Murphy Village, SC have no problem communicating with the ITs in Rathkeale, Ireland. Speaking Shelta/Gammon is universal among all ITs globally so they can communicate and make plans without any nosy outsiders getting all up in their business.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,963,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzwitchy View Post
My research tells me they have genetic markers separate from the general Irish population that have actually resulted in some health deficiencies in their DNA although nothing as debilitating as Tay-Sachs in the Jewish community or Sickle Cell Anemia in the African-American culture. Two recessive genes matching up in a small gene pool create a dominant gene, beneficial or detrimental. That having been said? Irish Travellers are still solidly core to the greater Irish tribe and in my opinion, horribly misunderstood and abused...makes the Irish in me boil, it does...
how are travellers misunderstood ?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,733,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzwitchy View Post
Misunderstood and abused? Um, you don't seem to have any real knowledge of them, do you now?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,589,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyMom View Post
My understanding from seeing undercover programs on 'travelers' is that they do indeed travel, and take advantage of people who may think they are legitimate workmen, although when someone in a brand new pickup truck shows up at your door out of the blue, telling you that your roof needs to be repaired/replaced or that your driveway needs to be sealed, you should slam the door and call the local police. I really don't know how Irish they are, I don't think that's relevant. They appear to be scam artists, and reading the above posts indicating that the majority of them are collecting unemployment, they are just leeching off our tax dollars to support their mansions, covert community and unconventional lifestyle.
They are in fact very Irish(Gaelic) and are no different from the Northern European Irish people. They are in no way related to the Roms of continental Europe. All they are, is Celtic wanderers! Nothing out of the ordinary.

A classic 1957 picture of Irish Tinkers.

http://www.antiquaprintgallery.com/e...--133301-p.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or