U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM

9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
they say they were once regular folk but round the time of the famine , lost thier footing ( so to speak ) and ended up becoming nomads
I wonder how many Irish Travellers migrated to the US at that time. I wonder how many assimilated, and how many of their descendents live an updated version of their "traditional" lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,967,760 times
I thought Irish travellers don't take money.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,981,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You often see them on the ferries between Ireland and Wales - rumour has it it's so they can scam the welfare system in both countries.
their are as many travellers in the uk as in ireland , they travel over and back , familys are huge and extended , they do shabby work like tarring driveways across europe , easier to get away with it in another country

Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder how many Irish Travellers migrated to the US at that time. I wonder how many assimilated, and how many of their descendents live an updated version of their "traditional" lifestyle.
never really heard of them continuing their culture in the u.s

Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p london View Post
i thought irish travellers don't take money.

:d

Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Quote:
never really heard of them continuing their culture in the u.s
There's a neighborhood near North Augusta, South Carolina called "Murphy Village" that is populated by Travellers:

North Augusta episode of 'My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding' was most 'revelatory,' producer says | The Augusta Chronicle

Note: I'm NOT endorsing this TV show. All reallity shows have people who put on the required act to make some money.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,395,221 times
Quote:
thier a cultural sub group , they are identical to the rest of the population from a racial and ethnic POV , the only people who try and claim otherwise are looney liberals ( who never had any real dealings with them but who find them exotic for some reason ) and travellers themselves as they see it as a way of scamming more money out of the state

travellers are trouble for the most part , majority of them are involved in criminal activity of some kind or other
That's not what scientific studies say:

Quote:
The historical origins of Irish Travellers as an ethnic group has been a subject of academic and popular debate. Such discussions have been difficult as Irish Travellers left no written records of their own.[9][10] In 2011 an analysis of DNA from 40 Travellers was undertaken at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and the University of Edinburgh. The study provided evidence that Irish Travellers are a distinct Irish ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago; the claim was made that they are distinct from the settled community as Icelanders are from Norwegians.[11] Even though all families claim ancient origins, not all families of Irish Travellers date back to the same point in time; some families adopted Traveller customs centuries ago, while others did so more recently.[12] It is unclear how many Irish Travellers would be included in this distinct ethnic group at least from a genetic perspective.
A wide range of theories also speculated they were descended from ancestors who were made homeless by Oliver Cromwell's military campaign in Ireland, in the 1840s famine; or the descendants of aristocratic nomads the Clan Murtagh O'Connors in the Late Middle Ages. Their nomadism was based on cattle-herds or 'creaghts'.
There is evidence by the 12th century the name Tynkler and Tynker emerged in reference to a group of nomads who maintained a separate identity, social organization, and dialect.[9] The genetic evidence indicates Irish Travellers have been a distinct ethnic group in Ireland for at least a millennium.
Source: Irish Travellers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's an interesting article. The part about health was shocking to me: half of all Travellers do not live past the age of 39, 80% die before they're 65, Traveller children are ten times more likely to die before the age of 2 and 15 times more likely to die before the age of 25 compared to the general population I wonder what causes this?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 AM

190 posts, read 463,649 times
Irish

We have a similar group here in Spain called "quinquis", from quincalleros or "tinkers". Here, they are indeed genetically different to the general population. Quinquis are a large conglomerate of people that had to flee for generations "town hopping" from authorities and the Holy Inquisition. Quinquis are a mix of Gypsies, Jews, people accused of being Protestant or practising withcraft, criminals, etc.

Quinquis, as far as I know, are not disfunctional since they control flea markets, town fairs, etc. In fact, some are quite rich.

There are about 7 sub-groups, at least, but most are just regular people that became separated from the rest because of their trade (vaqueiros, agotes and maragatos), other because their supposed ethnic origin (Juetes in Mallorca, Jewish origin).

In the feature above, some call Irish Travellers a separate ethnic group existing during the last 1000 years. There are no ethnic groups in Europe with just 1000 years, if that were the case, every town in the mountain or secluded region would be an ethnic group.

Last edited by Montpensier; 01-03-2013 at 03:09 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,510,527 times
Default Wow

Quote:
their lifestyle requires almost complete subsidisation by the state ( 90% of travellers are on unemployment benefits ) , thier is also the added cost of cleaning up after their short term stays in various randomly chosen parking spots , not to mention their regular rampage through bars which involves mass brawling and general mayhem

they are an utterly dysfunctional and destructive bunch

unfortunatley they are almost lauded by our liberal media overhere who like to present the idea that its the settled majority who simply need to learn to be more tollerant
The TLC series about travellers seem to paint they are rich or at least well off since they put so much into their kids first communion wardrobe and then those crazy extravagant wedding dresses. I guess I would feel ruffled to see a bunch of people in an empty lot. especially if they bring crime. Is there like an RV lot they could rent out or a /lot they could all rent so they won't infringe but they won't feel penalized and ostracized??

Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's not what scientific studies say:

Source: Irish Travellers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's an interesting article. The part about health was shocking to me: half of all Travellers do not live past the age of 39, 80% die before they're 65, Traveller children are ten times more likely to die before the age of 2 and 15 times more likely to die before the age of 25 compared to the general population I wonder what causes this?

myriad of reasons but the main ones are

lets just say they fish from a pretty shallow gene pool when it comes to matching up for life

poor lifestyle , nomadism is not compatible with a stable and healthy life , moving around the country in a caravan , no central heating , damp enviroment , low value placed on education which leads to women marrying young and having a lot of children , men involving themselves in anti social behaviour , 10% of travellers are in prison at any given time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or