U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:09 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,976,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
The TLC series about travellers seem to paint they are rich or at least well off since they put so much into their kids first communion wardrobe and then those crazy extravagant wedding dresses. I guess I would feel ruffled to see a bunch of people in an empty lot. especially if they bring crime. Is there like an RV lot they could rent out or a /lot they could all rent so they won't infringe but they won't feel penalized and ostracized??

wellfare is very generous in ireland , especially for people who have large familys which travellers do , more or less all travellers are on benefits but the majority of them work in the black market , when i say work i mean they involve themselves in various scams like doing shoddy tar mac or paint jobs , a traveller couldnt go straight if it was in their financial interest

anyway , they like to splash out on bling , their idea of beauty and style is the british glamour model jordan , her equivelent in the usa would be someone like pamela anderson only with less class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM

327 posts, read 862,940 times
To the OP, please read comments by others on this thread, notably Irish Bob, as a example of the extreme prejudice that is directed towards the Irish Traveller community in the UK and Ireland itself. In the UK today, it is totally culturally unacceptable (and rightly so!) to be publically homophobic or racist to any form of minority in public. However, this does not apply to Gypsies (or Irish Travellers) – it is still completely acceptable in polite middle class conversation to make extremely bigoted and in some cases violent comments about them. The other day I was having a chat with an acquaintance and this topic came up, and he quite nonchalantly said "all Gypsies should be rounded up and shot". Imagine saying that about Britain's Black minority, or about Polish immigrants.

If you can get beyond the discourse of prejudice and bigoted stereotypes such as the notion that they are all thieves or milking the benefits system, you will discover that Irish Travellers are a distinct ethnic and social minority of the British Isles that have possibly a history of over 1000 years. They are distinct from other travelling peoples of the British Isles, such as English Romanies, or the less numerous Scottish or Welsh Travellers. They have their own very distinct culture and dialect – they actually used to even have their own language called "Shelta" but they tend to speak a heavily-accented version of Irish English now. They are spread throughout the British Isles but with particular concentrations in Ireland itself obviously and rural areas of the south east of the England – such as Essex or Cambridgeshire. Nearly everyone who lives in rural England or Ireland will have come into contact with them at some stage.

There has been a spate of media interest in the community recently so Google some of these shows to get an idea of their lifestyle. "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" was very famous and a bit populist as it focuses exclusively on a particular subset of quite garish, relatively affluent Travellers who had developed a culture for showy, gaudy weddings. They are by no means all like this. Another good documentary to Google and watch is "Gypsy Blood". Brad Pitt's depiction of an Irish Traveller squatter camp on the outskirts of London in "Snatch" was quite fun but the accent was a bit dodgy.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
To the OP, please read comments by others on this thread, notably Irish Bob, as a example of the extreme prejudice that is directed towards the Irish Traveller community in the UK and Ireland itself. In the UK today, it is totally culturally unacceptable (and rightly so!) to be publically homophobic or racist to any form of minority in public. However, this does not apply to Gypsies (or Irish Travellers) – it is still completely acceptable in polite middle class conversation to make extremely bigoted and in some cases violent comments about them. The other day I was having a chat with an acquaintance and this topic came up, and he quite nonchalantly said "all Gypsies should be rounded up and shot". Imagine saying that about Britain's Black minority, or about Polish immigrants.

If you can get beyond the discourse of prejudice and bigoted stereotypes such as the notion that they are all thieves or milking the benefits system, you will discover that Irish Travellers are a distinct ethnic and social minority of the British Isles that have possibly a history of over 1000 years. They are distinct from other travelling peoples of the British Isles, such as English Romanies, or the less numerous Scottish or Welsh Travellers. They have their own very distinct culture and dialect – they actually used to even have their own language called "Shelta" but they tend to speak a heavily-accented version of Irish English now. They are spread throughout the British Isles but with particular concentrations in Ireland itself obviously and rural areas of the south east of the England – such as Essex or Cambridgeshire. Nearly everyone who lives in rural England or Ireland will have come into contact with them at some stage.

There has been a spate of media interest in the community recently so Google some of these shows to get an idea of their lifestyle. "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" was very famous and a bit populist as it focuses exclusively on a particular subset of quite garish, relatively affluent Travellers who had developed a culture for showy, gaudy weddings. They are by no means all like this. Another good documentary to Google and watch is "Gypsy Blood". Brad Pitt's depiction of an Irish Traveller squatter camp on the outskirts of London in "Snatch" was quite fun but the accent was a bit dodgy.

the above post is the kind of pc wooly liberal tosh i was refering to earlier , middle class liberal - academic - arty types who never came within a mile of travellers , have decided to anoint them with sacred cow status and villify the settled majority for not tolllerating this groups chronic dysfunctionality , then again anything which is anti establishment will warrant kudos from trendys, the hated middle class are to be derided , their function to provide funding for various liberal projects like the protection of the lifestyle of travellers

throw in inflamatory lanaguage about rounding up people to be shot ( which no one suggested on this thread ) and you see the kind of tactics which are used to silence criticism

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM

9,535 posts, read 9,420,509 times
In modern times, any group that adopts a nomadic lifestyle is certainly at a disadvantage compared to settled groups, except perhaps in the poorest countries. In ancient times, moving from place to place to take advantage of the availability of food and water - the essentials of life - was necessary, but not now.

Britinparis, do you know any Travellers who are college-educated white-collar professionals?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,366,929 times
They come over to mainland Europe now and then to fix things cheap but mosty they either do shoddy work or leave after grabbing a deposit. They've gotten a bad rep over here because of that, even if there are decent ones. Their lifestyle is their business, it's when they suck the system dry and steal from people that I get mad. They all seem to not want for anything tough!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
They come over to mainland Europe now and then to fix things cheap but mosty they either do shoddy work or leave after grabbing a deposit. They've gotten a bad rep over here because of that, even if there are decent ones. Their lifestyle is their business, it's when they suck the system dry and steal from people that I get mad. They all seem to not want for anything tough!

their not to be trusted

Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,681,157 times
I have heard that they are native Irish, who for whatever reason have developed a deviant lifestyle.

We have them here too. A rather distasteful bunch.

Unwelcome Exposure - TIME

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 AM

190 posts, read 463,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their are as many travellers in the uk as in ireland , they travel over and back , familys are huge and extended , they do shabby work like tarring driveways across europe , easier to get away with it in another country

Irish

I bet we have them here in Spain, but I have never heard about them in Spanish media. I guess most people take them for English, not Irish.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montpensier View Post
Irish

I bet we have them here in Spain, but I have never heard about them in Spanish media. I guess most people take them for English, not Irish.

they might well speak with english accents and have been born in england but all travellers in the uk are irish whether they were born there or not

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM

9,535 posts, read 9,420,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
they might well speak with english accents and have been born in england but all travellers in the uk are irish whether they were born there or not

There are also Scottish Travellers.

Scottish Gypsy and Traveller groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or