U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 16,363,931 times

Advertisements

Anybody thats every had a knacker knock on the front door to distract them while a few go into your back garden wouldnt speak favourably of them at all. Everything Irish Bob says about them is true. That TLC program they show over here is complete rubbish and full of actors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM

8,821 posts, read 6,352,521 times
You can't believe everything you see in these programs. Just like all reality shows, they're far from reality...
The word skank comes to mind when you see the females, at a very young age they are trained to be skanky and dress the part. The males learn from the men.. To be travelling in style like they do, takes lots of cash and they seem to have it. But then why would you trust someone you have no references from to fix your roof or whatever part of your house? And some pay them in advance, that's asking to be ripped off! They apparently give such low quotes and that's how hey get people to fall for it!
But if it sounds to good to be true...it's up to people on the mainland to smarten up. In the summer we get the girls who come to steal purses and wallets, especially from tourists..One "gang" approached me with a clipboard saying she was collecting money for the homeless, she needed my name and address and could I spare ten euros?? when I said no she started to curse me out..a bunch of people were there and we all told them what we thought of them..the oldest was about 12 and the littlest one was in diapers..

Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,460,313 times
I think they are romanian gypsies who settled in ireland. (Thankfully they dont really have a foothold in northern ireland) They travel around the island stealing goods and selling them.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 1,994,806 times
The facts are really very clear.
Travellers choose their own itinerant lifestyle, not out following some centuries-old tradition but because it enables them to live outside the confines of laws and behaviour which bind the rest of a civilised society.
They are involved in widespread criminality of every nature and seriousness and in Ireland they are a plague and a menace.
Last summer Irish boxer John Joe Nevin, a Traveller, won an Olympic Silver Medal. Instead of bring pride and joy to Ireland his family and relatives were eventually barred from every pub in his home town of Mullingar because of their behaviour in celebrating his success.
In the UK such behaviour is not tolerated and Travellers are generally confined to legal and well-organised sites funded by local councils. They are obliged, by firm police action, to obey the law like everyone else.
Put simply, a nomadic and lawless lifestyle is an out-dated concept in the modern world.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,945,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The facts are really very clear.
Travellers choose their own itinerant lifestyle, not out following some centuries-old tradition but because it enables them to live outside the confines of laws and behaviour which bind the rest of a civilised society.
They are involved in widespread criminality of every nature and seriousness and in Ireland they are a plague and a menace.
Last summer Irish boxer John Joe Nevin, a Traveller, won an Olympic Silver Medal. Instead of bring pride and joy to Ireland his family and relatives were eventually barred from every pub in his home town of Mullingar because of their behaviour in celebrating his success.
In the UK such behaviour is not tolerated and Travellers are generally confined to legal and well-organised sites funded by local councils. They are obliged, by firm police action, to obey the law like everyone else.
Put simply, a nomadic and lawless lifestyle is an out-dated concept in the modern world.

local authoritys provide halting sites for them here aswell

as for john joe nevin , not sure your being fair to him , i know nothing about him but he conducted himself very well during and after the olympics , the one area where travellers make a possitive contribution is in sport , specifically boxing , which they are naturally suited to

im not talking about bare knuckle boxing btw

Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,554,469 times
10 years ago I visited Ireland for the first time as a tourist and the headlines in the local newspapers read there were laws being considered to ban Travellers from pubs. Not knowing at first what Travellers actually were, I assumed Ireland was thinking of banning tourists from the Irish pubs which I thought was appalling, and only after reading deeper into the article of the Irish Times did I realize they weren't talking about tourists. I was relieved to know I would still be welcomed into the Irish pubs as an American tourist.
I did see a few of those Travellers when I was there in Dublin. They didn't look native Irish to me, and were dark skinned with black eyes and black hair. I remember one young woman was stunning, if rather oddly dressed.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM

15,890 posts, read 15,264,442 times
We have groups of them in the US. About 10 years ago there was a clan in a suburb of Ft. Worth, TX and they lived in RVs. A 12 year old boy "borrowed" his uncle's car, loaded it up with other kids from the clan and took a joy ride on the highway. He really did not know how to drive on a highway and he hit another car while going at high speed. All four of the little boys were killed along with the driver of the other car.

There was a very quickly assembled mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral for the 4 kids. It was a closed funeral mass. Then they all picked up and headed out of state.

The Irish Travelers in the US are usually quite sequestered and retain a closed society. They make money doing odd jobs for home owners like replacing a roof or repaving a driveway. They are constantly on the move.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,980,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wonder how many Irish Travellers migrated to the US at that time. I wonder how many assimilated, and how many of their descendents live an updated version of their "traditional" lifestyle.
They have a "colony" in Memphis. It's a trailer park by the airport. The trailers are really nice, many of them are double-wide and most have elborate brick porches. They're infamous in Memphis because they're known to go to fancy restaurants in large groups and cause a commotion and occasionally steal things. I've also heard they steal from stores, but who knows. The women drive nice, brand-new Lexuses, Mercedes, etc SUVs and they seem to be stuck in the 50's with their bouffant hairstyles. They also dress gaudy. A lot of people have learned to spot them in public, even just by their cars. They also have an accent that's kind of distinct. It sounds like a very fast Southern accent

You can seem some towards the end of this video. People in Memphis like to spot them in public like they're exotic creatures

Episode 60: Druken View of Gypsys (On Location In Memphis) - YouTube

Also, they're very Catholic and most send their kids to Catholic schools up to a certain age. I dont think most go to high school.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,945,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They have a "colony" in Memphis. It's a trailer park by the airport. The trailers are really nice, many of them are double-wide and most have elborate brick porches. They're infamous in Memphis because they're known to go to fancy restaurants in large groups and cause a commotion and occasionally steal things. I've also heard they steal from stores, but who knows. The women drive nice, brand-new Lexuses, Mercedes, etc SUVs and they seem to be stuck in the 50's with their bouffant hairstyles. They also dress gaudy. A lot of people have learned to spot them in public, even just by their cars. They also have an accent that's kind of distinct. It sounds like a very fast Southern accent

You can seem some towards the end of this video. People in Memphis like to spot them in public like they're exotic creatures

Episode 60: Druken View of Gypsys (On Location In Memphis) - YouTube

Also, they're very Catholic and most send their kids to Catholic schools up to a certain age. I dont think most go to high school.

travellers are indeed very catholic and superstitious

Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM

9,497 posts, read 9,367,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
travellers are indeed very catholic and superstitious

Maybe so, but if a lot of them earn their livings through illegality then that makes them hypocritical.
I don't recall hearing how those Travellers in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding made their livings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or