Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,891,082 times

Advertisements

I'm all for immigration; I think it's one of the best growth prospects a country has.
However, immigrants should: 1) Follow the laws of the country they emigrate to; 2) Learn the language of the country they go to (at least at a conversant level); 3) Be employable (or get employable through education/training); and 4) Respect the culture they choose move to. It is this last one that really chaps my hide. Why on earth would you choose to emigrate to a country where you dislike the culture? It's just absurd.
I have held residency in four different countries, and I have always followed these four rules.
Of course, I was never a strain on the countries I lived in, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,980,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Talking about immigrants is not politically correct; don't even think to raise a question if this insane recent immigration is sustainable cause you'll immediately be labeled as "racist".

I read today that there are 26 million unemployed in EU.

I'm not an optimist about this.
I dont think it's racism. The Western Europeans were complaining about the poorer Eastern Europeans too.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 AM

567 posts, read 1,114,862 times
Racism isn't the same over here (Europe). It's better described as "nationalism." I've seen Romanians whiter than Casper's backside get harassed needlessly by Carabinieri. Not me though, I look Italian (and have a US passport). Albeit southern Italian. I could not expect to get the same 'pass' in Arizona, apparently.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,811,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Racism isn't the same over here (Europe). It's better described as "nationalism." I've seen Romanians whiter than Casper's backside get harassed needlessly by Carabinieri. Not me though, I look Italian (and have a US passport). Albeit southern Italian. I could not expect to get the same 'pass' in Arizona, apparently.
You and I would have the same problem then. We're not "real whites" (I'm Spanish btw, as in European background, not the ignorant Spanish/Hispanic/Latino concoction that Americans have come up with), I've been treated differently before because of it, but in the UK and Germany, I'm just another white guy but here I'm a "minority"

Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM

190 posts, read 568,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post

Wrong. Romanian Gypsies are harassed because they are a pest. Problem is that Romanian Gypsies do not look very diferently from non-Gypsie Romanian for untrained eyes. Bosnians and Kosovars are also a problem.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM

190 posts, read 568,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You and I would have the same problem then. We're not "real whites" (I'm Spanish btw, as in European background, not the ignorant Spanish/Hispanic/Latino concoction that Americans have come up with), I've been treated differently before because of it, but in the UK and Germany, I'm just another white guy but here I'm a "minority"

Most Hispanic in the US are not white except in pockets of NY and South Florida, I'd say only 5 percent are white, that's why American dropouts and the Census Bureau states that Spanish are not white.

As to people of true Spanish background, they are hardly considered a minority since most are northeners and look like Irish or Northern Italians. Most marry Irish, Italian and Jews. In fact, most pockets of Spanish immigrants in the US that arrived many generations ago are practically dissolved among other Catholic minorities, some are Cajun.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

2,233 posts, read 5,466,180 times
Quote:
I don't think you even believe this yourself. White doesn't mean blond and blue-eyed. They come in all kinds of shades.

To the poster above. Anybody with a Spanish name is a minority in the U.S. nowadays.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,811,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I don't think you even believe this yourself. White doesn't mean blond and blue-eyed. They come in all kinds of shades.

To the poster above. Anybody with a Spanish name is a minority in the U.S. nowadays.
No not these days, but I have experienced discrimination and harassment in the past because I used to have a Spanish accent and because of my name. Didn't matter that I have a European face or white skin. To everyone, I was the "Mexican *******" that needed to go back to Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montpensier View Post
Most Hispanic in the US are not white except in pockets of NY and South Florida, I'd say only 5 percent are white, that's why American dropouts and the Census Bureau states that Spanish are not white.

As to people of true Spanish background, they are hardly considered a minority since most are northeners and look like Irish or Northern Italians. Most marry Irish, Italian and Jews. In fact, most pockets of Spanish immigrants in the US that arrived many generations ago are practically dissolved among other Catholic minorities, some are Cajun.
Well then, guess I'm the unlucky 5% that aren't "real whites"
What is true Spanish background? My ancestors are from Galicia and Andalucía and I don't look Irish or northern Italian. I'm not of true Spanish background then (despite the fact I'm 1/4 German too)?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM

2,233 posts, read 5,466,180 times
Quote:
No not these days, but I have experienced discrimination and harassment in the past because I used to have a Spanish accent and because of my name. Didn't matter that I have a European face or white skin. To everyone, I was the "Mexican *******" that needed to go back to Mexico.

And how you know they "discriminated" against you? Because you felt treated unfairly?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

114 posts, read 352,461 times
Quote:
Wrong. Romanian Gypsies are harassed because they are a pest. Problem is that Romanian Gypsies do not look very diferently from non-Gypsie Romanian for untrained eyes. Bosnians and Kosovars are also a problem.
On one hand Montpensier advocates immigration but on the other hand posts comments which should get him banned.

Reminds me of the hypocritism of French government, which dismantles illegal worker camps and harrasses Gypsies, with an intense what I would call racist comments in the media about them from even people in the highest level of state (about eastern Europeans in general by the way).

But when it comes to former colonial population (Black or North African maghrebis), French are preeetty silent.

Not a personal attack, but when someone on this forum calls a people a pest, I take it rather seriously.

Quote:

Never heard so much baloney in my life.
51% of hispanic Americans are considered white, you call that a minority among hispanics?

Thats 8.7% of the United States population by the way. 27 million people.

Quote:
Spaniards are whites.
White doesn't really mean anything. Arabs are even considered white in the USA.
Europeans are a very varied group with varied phenotypes and skin color.

Nordic-Germanic people, or even Celts, are not the only part of European people. This is absurd.
Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, they are all Europeans but simply not Germanic or Celtic.

But not calling them white, or what is synonymous to me as "ethnically European" is preposterous.
Mind you I am talking about ethnic spaniards, not the ones that descend from moors or other immigrants.

By the way, noticed the obsession about race on this forum, I don't find this normal on a European section. Europeans should not talk about race.

Last edited by anondragon; 01-10-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe