U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM

78,155 posts, read 70,049,185 times

Advertisements

What happened to Depardieu's brief flirtation with Belgian citizenship? Why did he bolt for Russia? I wonder if there's more to this story, like, possibly, that he could be extradited from Belgium, but that wouldn't be as likely if her settled in Russia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What happened to Depardieu's brief flirtation with Belgian citizenship? Why did he bolt for Russia? I wonder if there's more to this story, like, possibly, that he could be extradited from Belgium, but that wouldn't be as likely if her settled in Russia?
My guess is - but I'm not sure - that the process to obtain Belgian citizenship will go too slow for Mr. Depardieu. Belgian authorities made clear that he won't benefit from any special procedure. He'll have to go and stand in line like anybody else. In Russia, on the other hand, all this goes lightning fast apparently - for him. I guess his next move then will be to become a citizen of Monaco.

I wonder why I'm even writing about this, I couldn't care less for this nonsense .

Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,095,401 times
Provided that Italians, first to express any kind of opinions about other political-situation countries, should get a long time of conscience examination, but I have French cousins ​​so I feel myself qualified to say.. that Obelix will have some difficulties, to return in Paris, without masking his face

Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM

824 posts, read 1,456,092 times
Depardie makes a departurie from France.

Poor guy...should we make a collect to send him some money?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,374,270 times
Depardieu has now stated his support for Putin and the Duma's ban on adoption of Russian orphans by Americans.

What a toady. Wonder if any of M. Depardieu's tax savings will be spent on improving the lot of the hundreds of thousands of children living in Russia's many orphanages and mental institutions??

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,887,742 times
Depardieu just better be sure he stays on Putin and the cronies good side - people with many times his net worth are currently imprisoned in Russia simply for speaking their political minds.

France should have said, "We respect the freedom of all French citizens to express their dissatisfaction with government and do not nor do we plan to restrict citizens from freely moving about or leaving the country".

Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Depardieu has now stated his support for Putin and the Duma's ban on adoption of Russian orphans by Americans.

What a toady. Wonder if any of M. Depardieu's tax savings will be spent on improving the lot of the hundreds of thousands of children living in Russia's many orphanages and mental institutions??
Lol, frenchie is just kissing putins ass.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,709,534 times
Did Depardieu abandon his French passport in the process? He wasn't that stupid, was he?

Alexander Stubb, the Finnish Minister of Europe and Foreign Trade tweeted that Depardieu should apply for a visa at the Finnish embassy in Moscow to aquire access to the Schengen nations. It could take a while if Depardieu suddenly wants to return to the EU. Oh well, money and publicity talks.

Alexander Stubb ‏@alexstubb Cher M. Depardieu, si vous besoin une visa, svp contacter l'Ambassade de la Finlande en Moscou. On donne 1,2 million visas par an en Russie.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM

14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Did Depardieu abandon his French passport in the process? He wasn't that stupid, was he?

Hmm..let's see here;

Naturalization is usually granted if the applicant meets the following requirements:
  • has been a permanent resident of Russia for not less than five years
  • promises lawful behaviour
  • has a legal source of income
  • has applied for termination of another citizenship (though the actual loss of foreign citizenship is not required)
  • speaks Russian
Russian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't question the fluency of Russian of Mr. Depardieu, but what this stuff supposed to mean?
So did he have to give up his French citizenship ( or at least to apply for the termination) or not?

(I have to say though how it works for Russians with dual passports; once they are in Russia, the "other" passport is simply not recognized; they are treated as citizens of Russian Federation. )

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM

78,155 posts, read 70,049,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Alexander Stubb, the Finnish Minister of Europe and Foreign Trade tweeted that Depardieu should apply for a visa at the Finnish embassy in Moscow to aquire access to the Schengen nations. It could take a while if Depardieu suddenly wants to return to the EU. Oh well, money and publicity talks.

Alexander Stubb ‏@alexstubb Cher M. Depardieu, si vous besoin une visa, svp contacter l'Ambassade de la Finlande en Moscou. On donne 1,2 million visas par an en Russie.
This is interesting. Why would Finland want to help him out? And wouldn't he owe Finnish taxes, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe