Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM

153 posts, read 433,779 times

Advertisements

Me and two of my friends are going to Prague and Budapest in the summer.

We will be going to Prague first and then Budapest. Are there any sites where I can find things to do in those cities? Any recommended nightlife places?

If you want me to ask you specific questions then I will do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
I did this exact same trip a few years ago!

There are a million cool things to see in each city. I didn't partake in the nightlife, so I can't really speak on that.

What sorts of activities do you like to do? Are you a big walker? What sorts of things interest you (architecture, wildlife, parks, etc)?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 PM

nightlife

partying

lol we are college aged kids

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
nightlife

partying

lol we are college aged kids
Well... I can't really help with those other than to tell you that there's an absinthe bar in Prague called Absinthe Time. Absinthe Time | Absinthe Time Cafe Club Bar

There are pubs everywhere, and beer is cheap! And good!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM

thank you

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
I heard there are nude beaches in those places, so maybe you guys can hang out in there lol

Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Are you more into clubs or bar scenes? Can't speak to Budapest, never been.

Clubs: Lucerna, Chapeau Rouge, Radost FX, Nebe. There's some more upscale places, but if you're just looking for a raucous drunken good time, those are the best. Karlovy Lazne gets recommended a lot because it's friggin huge, but it's meh. The ice bar (part of the club) is.. unique. That might be worth visiting, and you'll get an idea of why I don't like it and not waste anymore time. Since it's right across from the Charles Bridge, I can guarantee you'll be near there anyway.

Bars: Way, way too many to list. Just a few that are worth a look U Sudu, looks like a tiny little wine bar that happens to have room for a few hundred and two more bars in the basement levels. The Globe - more low key, open mics, great food and decent coffee, good for off nights. U Fleku, beer hall. It's an overpriced tourist trap but also an iconic landmark and probably worth visiting once... or go to Plzenska and pay the same price for better food. Propaganda, small good prices usually bustling. U Cerneho vola is a ways out, more authentic Czech bar. Cheap bear, cheap food, cheap decor. Uvoka (Google should find the actual name which is gibberish to anyone who doesn't speak Czech) - in Zizkov, rock bar that gets rowdy with a more local crowd. It and U Hopa are probably the best two bars in Zizkov, which is chalk full of bars. There's also a bunch of theme bars, most are pretty pricey but a nice change of pace.

Bars | Prague-Stay.com
Hemingway and Dubliner would probably be my favorites. Dubliner is almost always taken over by at least one stag (bachelor) party, however. American Bar (located in the Municipal House) is obscenely expensive but an experience. Plzenska beer hall is also located in the basement and is (somewhat) reasonably priced. U Vejvodou, U Medvidku, and Pivovarsk dum are the less touristy beer halls, U Medvidku would be my preference. Also the beer hall at the Strahov Monastery. Czech style food should run around 150 CZK up to 300 for foreigner-fare, pivos around 30 CZK, which is good for Old Town.

Do see some of the obvious (Castle (and surroundings, there's some great restaurants in the area right on the river), Jewish Quarter, Old Town Square etc). There's an awesome thrift store in the main train station, exploring the communist era areas is interesting if you have the time. Lots of good museums, churches. Spend some time just getting lost on transit if you're going to be there a while in the more authentic areas rather than just the touristy ones.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
More on Prague's bar scene from a couple of knowledgeable beer bloggers.

The Beer Nut: Search results for Prague

Pete Brown's Beer Blog: Search results for Prague

Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
Me and two of my friends are going to Prague and Budapest in the summer.

We will be going to Prague first and then Budapest. Are there any sites where I can find things to do in those cities? Any recommended nightlife places?

If you want me to ask you specific questions then I will do that.

hungarians are unfriendly and in the main very gruff , they also try and rip you off at every turn

budapest is a nice city to look at and the transport system is excellent for a middle income country

Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Are you more into clubs or bar scenes? Can't speak to Budapest, never been.

Clubs: Lucerna, Chapeau Rouge, Radost FX, Nebe. There's some more upscale places, but if you're just looking for a raucous drunken good time, those are the best. Karlovy Lazne gets recommended a lot because it's friggin huge, but it's meh. The ice bar (part of the club) is.. unique. That might be worth visiting, and you'll get an idea of why I don't like it and not waste anymore time. Since it's right across from the Charles Bridge, I can guarantee you'll be near there anyway.

Bars: Way, way too many to list. Just a few that are worth a look U Sudu, looks like a tiny little wine bar that happens to have room for a few hundred and two more bars in the basement levels. The Globe - more low key, open mics, great food and decent coffee, good for off nights. U Fleku, beer hall. It's an overpriced tourist trap but also an iconic landmark and probably worth visiting once... or go to Plzenska and pay the same price for better food. Propaganda, small good prices usually bustling. U Cerneho vola is a ways out, more authentic Czech bar. Cheap bear, cheap food, cheap decor. Uvoka (Google should find the actual name which is gibberish to anyone who doesn't speak Czech) - in Zizkov, rock bar that gets rowdy with a more local crowd. It and U Hopa are probably the best two bars in Zizkov, which is chalk full of bars. There's also a bunch of theme bars, most are pretty pricey but a nice change of pace.

Bars | Prague-Stay.com
Hemingway and Dubliner would probably be my favorites. Dubliner is almost always taken over by at least one stag (bachelor) party, however. American Bar (located in the Municipal House) is obscenely expensive but an experience. Plzenska beer hall is also located in the basement and is (somewhat) reasonably priced. U Vejvodou, U Medvidku, and Pivovarsk dum are the less touristy beer halls, U Medvidku would be my preference. Also the beer hall at the Strahov Monastery. Czech style food should run around 150 CZK up to 300 for foreigner-fare, pivos around 30 CZK, which is good for Old Town.

Do see some of the obvious (Castle (and surroundings, there's some great restaurants in the area right on the river), Jewish Quarter, Old Town Square etc). There's an awesome thrift store in the main train station, exploring the communist era areas is interesting if you have the time. Lots of good museums, churches. Spend some time just getting lost on transit if you're going to be there a while in the more authentic areas rather than just the touristy ones.
have you been to those countries before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe