Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 06:23 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,899 times

Advertisements

Southern Italians, Sicilians and Greeks are somewhat genetically similar to western Turkey. Not the east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:10 AM

42 posts, read 67,343 times
Because some western anatolians have absorbed greek blood.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I strongly disagree. I can't tell Sicilians from Greeks that easily, whereas I can tell Sicilians from north and central Italians, as well as from French and Spaniards.

Some Sicilians are very light, and pan-Italian looking but most can much more easily be mistaken for Greek than anything Western European. Keep in mind some parts of Sicily, like Messina and Catania, have remained very isolated.

I also have a very Greek appearance myself. Sometimes people even think I am Lebanese. But once I say I am Sicilian, people say they know at least one other who looks just like me, either a cousin or a Sicilian-American friend.
"Pan-Italian" looking is that supposed to be light? Ha!Ha!Ha! Only 30% of Italians have light eyes compared to 45% of the French, 72% of the Dutch for example.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,625 times
what a disturbing pattern

mention skin color and the thread will get full of people who are not even European telling you they are lebanese but they have a sicilian friend from NY who looks like typical italians, and then other non-europeans posting counterarguments about how Sicilians look like turkish but greeks look like spaniards but spaniards are not white but mexican but mexicans are half spaniard so california and la reconquista but then the moorish but the amount of blue eyes in the french is 35% versus the dutch who have 40% purple eyes and the germans who are white but the turkish are mixing in because the poles who are slavic didn't go to germany but to hungary who are magyars who are not sicilians but who look like estonians who are the cousins of the irish who are celtic because the belgians are not latin because only latin are puerto ricans!!!

SERIOUSLY YOU ARE EMBARRASSINGLY MENTAL

WHAT A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHS A LOT OF YOU ARE.....

what I find disturbing is that a lot of the posters who are like this are Americans, or people from other countries who have lived, or live in America.

It says a lot about the US, it makes me wonder about all the shootings in high schools in the US and the ultra PC attitude of Americans

The more I learn about the US the less I would like to live there!!!

Old 05-10-2015, 03:01 AM

319 posts, read 395,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
"Pan-Italian" looking is that supposed to be light? Ha!Ha!Ha! Only 30% of Italians have light eyes compared to 45% of the French, 72% of the Dutch for example.
Well, Italy is a country of 60 million...so if 30% of them have light eyes, then that means a lot of Italians have light eyes (something like 18 million).

Why would you even bother to remember these percentages though...that is kind of odd

Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,625 times
Does anyone know any resource that can tell specific names of families Lombard or other that migrated to Sicily?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 PM

90 posts, read 111,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
what a disturbing pattern

mention skin color and the thread will get full of people who are not even European telling you they are lebanese but they have a sicilian friend from NY who looks like typical italians, and then other non-europeans posting counterarguments about how Sicilians look like turkish but greeks look like spaniards but spaniards are not white but mexican but mexicans are half spaniard so california and la reconquista but then the moorish but the amount of blue eyes in the french is 35% versus the dutch who have 40% purple eyes and the germans who are white but the turkish are mixing in because the poles who are slavic didn't go to germany but to hungary who are magyars who are not sicilians but who look like estonians who are the cousins of the irish who are celtic because the belgians are not latin because only latin are puerto ricans!!!

SERIOUSLY YOU ARE EMBARRASSINGLY MENTAL

WHAT A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHS A LOT OF YOU ARE.....

what I find disturbing is that a lot of the posters who are like this are Americans, or people from other countries who have lived, or live in America.

It says a lot about the US, it makes me wonder about all the shootings in high schools in the US and the ultra PC attitude of American

The more I learn about the US the less I would like to live there!!!
What made up B.S are you making up. no body said anything that you said. Americans on here are of European ancestry so they can talk about their ancestry. You are an indian that lived in europe using their resources and you are jealous of european phenotypes. :

Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM

90 posts, read 111,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Well, Italy is a country of 60 million...so if 30% of them have light eyes, then that means a lot of Italians have light eyes (something like 18 million).

Why would you even bother to remember these percentages though...that is kind of odd
I for some reason wonder if saxon is a person that is a liar and since this the internet you can make up any story you want and people will believe it and thats what he does.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 PM

142 posts, read 242,279 times
No..not much, but sometimes you could tell if a person is from southern Italy in origins (but this happens few times)

Old 05-10-2015, 09:04 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjKarmin View Post
Actually these are the languages spoken in Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
we are more used to do an even more complicated classification, but i don't know exactly which of those are classified as dialect and which as a separate language by linguistics.
(the picture is under spoiler because it's really big)

Spoiler

I know Lombard, Piedmontese, and Sicilian are different languages from standard Italian, rather than dialects.

As an aside, Milanese is a dialect of Lombard, not Standard Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Sicilians are close to island Greeks genetically, as are other southern Italians.
Some Sicilians are ethnically closer to Lombards than than they are to other Sicilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe