U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 AM

10,778 posts, read 8,833,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Native English men of English stock aren't hairy. Maybe when compared to Asians they are. Compared to Mediterranean types they might as well be hairless.

Oh and to the guy who said the Portuguese are more hairy than Spaniards, it depends what part. Someone from say Almeria (in Andalusia) is gonna be much more hairy than someone from Tras- os-Montes.

I have heard it said that body hair is actually *an* adaptation (but not the only and not universal) to UV index, which the Mediterranean has very high levels of and explains why people closer to the Mediterranean sea have some of the most hairy bodies.

An androgenic hair distribution map shows the Iberian peninsula along with the Levant as the hairiest area of the world. Also the Ainu in Japan are hairy for some odd reason but apparently they're not ethnically Japanese.
Who are these 'Native English men of Native stock' exactly? I have hair on my chest, I am a 'Native English man of Native Stock', well as far as I know I am, perhaps you could tell me otherwise?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 05:02 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,671,431 times
Italians/Greeks are certainly up at the top!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Who are these 'Native English men of Native stock' exactly? I have hair on my chest, I am a 'Native English man of Native Stock', well as far as I know I am, perhaps you could tell me otherwise?
Caucasian people born in England, who's ancestral heritage goes back thousand + years in the same region. Pretty self explanatory.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've traveled around the world and my observations sometimes contradict the popular stereotypes of the degrees of hairiness in men concerning different ethnic groups. In regards to the misconception that blond Scandinavians are relatively hairless I have discovered that is completely untrue. Blond body hair is often not as obvious, but the fuzz is still there. If you visit northern European bathing places and saunas you will see the men are sometimes rather hairy. The dark haired famous Swedish boxer Ingemar Johanssen had an extremely hairy chest.

The hairiest men in the world seem to come from Northern India and Pakistan (the Punjab ... Sikh men are especially hairy), the Middle East especially Iran, Iraq, Syria, eastern Turkey, the eastern Mediterranean such as Greece, Lebanon and Israel and the rest of the Mediterranean, Central and northern Europe.

I believe hirsuteness was a characteristic of the ancient Celts, and that is why you'll encounter a lot of quite hairy men in Ireland and Britain (check out the Kennedy men, or Sean Connery!)

Of course the least hairy men are the Native Americans of both North and South America, East Asians, and Sub-Saharan Africans.

As a rule "white" or "Caucasian" men are the most hirsute of the races.
I'm not sure this is true.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Caucasian people born in England, who's ancestral heritage goes back thousand + years in the same region. Pretty self explanatory.
There's no such thing!!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What an interesting thread.

In Iberia, the level of hairy someone is will vary. I have noticed Iberians as a whole are much more hairy than Romanians, who despite being "Latin" (as in Romanized) are not very hairy and tend to a more Slavic (aka weak) level of hair on the body.

Certain parts of Spain and Portugal have people who have very Mediterranean body hair levels but other parts much less so. They're not very homogeneous. More Atlanto- Mediterranean and small Mediterranean types are hairy but the other lighter types can be not so.

Italians are hit or miss. Northern Italians who are just lighter versions aren't super hairy. Germans are hit or miss. Most aren't but once in a while you get one that is for some odd reason.

I think the British Isles produce the least amount of body and facial hair. I have seen lots of Irish with little body hair and patchy beards.

As an Iberian myself my body hair is very developed and strong.
This is my experience as a native. Anyone that I know of who is predisposed to large amounts of body hair is usually of Mediterranean descent.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
This is my experience as a native. Anyone that I know of who is predisposed to large amounts of body hair is usually of Mediterranean descent.
You talk the biggest load of rubbish on here, and often!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,926,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You talk the biggest load of rubbish on here, and often!
Don't believe it all you want, but there is research proving us right

As you can see the UK has moderate levels of hirsute people. The Western Mediterranean has extreme levels.

For anyone else interested, notice how the Northeastern US (highest concentration of Italians/Dinaric types) is the most hirsute (seems to drop of sharply around Philly/Jersey and about a quarter to a third of Eastern PA) while the South (largest concentration of British Isles ancestry and Blacks) is the least hirsute. Maryland seems to be in the purple region as does most of PA and the Midlands and Great Lakes except New York state.

So once again, showing that Mediterraneans are as a whole much hairier than their British counterparts.

The South isn't even the highest percent of American Indian, either. That is saved for the Western US and still the West ends up being more hairy. Lets consider that Blacks also are a plurality on the Coastal South but never a majority anywhere in the South. Most Southerners are of English, Scot/Ulster, and some Irish stock not of Ulster. AKA the UK/ Ireland contributed most to Southern genes other than Blacks (again not a majority). The Upland South also isn't very Black, either (the "hillbilly" region).

I lived in the Great Lakes (higher concentrations of Germans, Central Europeans, and Slavs), and the hairy people amount was moderate. As in some very hairy and some not. I grew up around a lot of Polish, Irish, and Germans and I was the most hairy, followed by Germans, Polish, and lastly the Irish. I used to go to church with Romanians and they were mostly not hairy and tended to patchier beards as well. Interestingly the Romanians could at times pass for Italians but without the body hair which probably has to do with some Slavic genes in there. Sometimes you did get a really hairy Pakistani looking Romanian but I doubt they were ethnic Romanian and probably Tigani (Gypsy).

I now live in the South and most people who are White are of British Isles descent. Let me tell you the Upland South isn't full of feminine men or men who are into manscaping. That is kind of looked down upon by the good old boys and people look at you as a sissy (I don't agree for the record). Nevertheless it is not common for men here to trim their body hair or wax it. In the hot summer months you can see shirtless men by the pool and they have little to no body hair. Even less than the guys up in the Great Lakes which isn't a super hairy area to begin with.

And again, a map of Europe shows the least hirsute people inhabit the British Isles.

Now are there Mediterranean looking people who are British or Irish? Of course. Tom Cullen, Louise Roe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Colin Farrell, Sean Connery, Steve Kerrigan, and a few others could pass in Spain (not Italy though) and have that darkened Brit look which is pretty much not very common or typical of the British Isles. These aren't good examples to use as Brits or Irish as using some Nordic Spaniard isn't a good example of Spain. Off-looking individuals will always exist. You have to look at the average.

The simple fact that Brits brag about having hair on their chests shows how much the Isles aren't hairy. Hair on the chest is practically standard on most adult men. When we say hirsute we mean back hair, hair on the nape of the neck, shoulder hair, hair on the buttocks, higher than average facial hair (high cheek growth), etc. Growing a beard and hair on your chest/forearms is not considered "hirsute". Like I said before, Brits and Irish aren't hairless by any means but are far from being hairy.

I cannot comment on the hairiness or Nordic people because I haven't met many. They tend to be more "Ap Nort" in Minnesota and the North Central region which I am not super familiar with. Apparently they are as hairy as Mediterraneans but from what I hear it is more of a fine fuzz that is blonde compared to a hairy mess that clogs drains like Mediterraneans. Again, no personal experience and I have never dated a Scandinavian woman either.

Not that this affects anything, but I have noticed the most consistently thick beards are in the Southeast of Europe and getting closer to the Levantine area. Basically the closer to the Middle East or the Caucasus, the stronger the beards and more consistent. They do say Kim Kardashian used to be very hairy before she got famous.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 03-23-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 AM
AFP

7,362 posts, read 5,571,155 times
LoL what's to come next "which Europeans have the biggest ass?"

Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,926,205 times
^Probably correlates to the same tbh. Except Scandinavians. Mediterranean women though...dat ass.

Oh and in regard to the hairy thing, didn't Northern and Eastern England get some Danish influence? Maybe that could have contributed to some hairy Brits whereas the Celtic regions might have neutralized it a bit. Same with the Saxon element via Central Europe. This is why Brits are only moderately hairy. And I do believe the Dutch and some Frisians might have some influence as well in England. They're not super hairy either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe