Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 AM

319 posts, read 395,166 times

Advertisements

In my opinion the country doesn't look nor feel like eastern Europe at all! It definitely felt more similar to Germany than Ukraine or Belarus to me.

What makes it cool i'd say is that while it is doing better than the rest of the ex-communist states, it's still not fully westernized. Thus, being at that happy-medium stage. It's not fully modernized and some remote areas can look a bit rough, but at the same time, the central parts of the cities are lovely and very charming. I kind of like the contrast between old and new, but am not sure for how long it's going to remain like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
In my opinion the country doesn't look nor feel like eastern Europe at all! It definitely felt more similar to Germany than Ukraine or Belarus to me.
Having just went around to all of Czech Rep's neighboring countries and a few more...(Germany, Austria, Poland, the Baltics).

I definitely felt that Czech Republic seemed way different and unique from Baltics/Poland. It didn't seem much like Germany/Austria either. I also wouldn't say it was something inbetween, but it just seemed like something altogether different entirely.

I really liked the feel!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
For those of you who love the Czech Republic and the other central European countries, you may like this music (I bought this CD when I was in Brno one Christmas and even though it's Christmas music technically, it doesn't sound like Western Christmas music so it doesn't feel weird to listen to it throughout the year). This music perfectly captured the feel of the small, medieval villages throughout the Czech Republic and Slovakia to me:

One of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nC2ISAiYQ

My very favorite!

Another good one:

Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I honestly can't tell if you're that ignorant, or are just so deprived for attention that you need to annoy people... Czech Republic is as much an eastern European country as US is a south American country. Well actually thats also a horrible lie, since culturally and demographically and pretty much any other aspect US and Southern America have much more in common than Czech Republic and eastern Europe.
I totally agree. They are something between French, German people. To talk about Czech Republic as about the Eastern country is really stupid. I think they're more like the west.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
...and a follow-up on this, OLOMOUC looks like another very interesting town to visit in the Czech Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe