Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I haven't been there, but heard it's beautiful, has great beer, and the people are very liberal/open-minded.

Curious if you found this to be true? What's your impression of the country and people of the Czech Republic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM

255 posts, read 927,220 times
The country is very well off, it's actually one of the top 20 in quality of life (just search this up, don't want to cite my source every time)

The land is amazing, that general area is. Germany, Austria, Czech Republic. It's just a good country. Plain and simple.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Not exactly sure. I think as a central European country, they have always been a crossroads for cultures and ideas. They seem intellectual, like the French and Germans, without the nationalist, supremacy garbage.

I traveled through there years ago, and I was struck by the beautiful scenery and the stylish, cool people. That is all I can add.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
One of few countries in Central / Eastern Europe that wasn't destroyed to the extent others were in WW2. Prague historically, was North South cross roads of trade and commerce and thus has a very cosmopolitan feel for city of its size with much varied architecture going back 8-9 centuries. The land is varied in topography and very beautiful. Few people (locals) I came into contact with seem open minded across the age ranges - and older people have experienced a wide variety of occupation / oppression (Nazis, Soviet influence, Russian mafia). Oh, and the beautiful women per capita is very high

Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
I have been there, and it is cool because the cities are awesome, like a fairy tale cities, also the landscapes and life is more or less cheap, the negative side is that people are not "very" friendly sometimes, and they can't speak English most of times, even less Spanish, but well they don't need to do it as they are Czech and have their own language, this is just a touristic point of view.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,844 times
I will be returning to the US in a couple of weeks, from Brno. I've lived in Czech Republic for 3 years, and the quality of life is amazing, in comparison to our own, in general. If I had a 20,000 word limit, I wouldn't be able to rave enough about how I feel about the country, especially the South Moravian region. I don't really have the time to write now, anyway. I'm just getting a fresh half-liter of pilsner (just over a buck), and rolling up a j, here in my fave artists cafe'. Yeah, it's that kinda place. 400,000 population in Brno. 80,000 are students, and y'all know what that means.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM

255 posts, read 927,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicLogic View Post
I will be returning to the US in a couple of weeks, from Brno. I've lived in Czech Republic for 3 years, and the quality of life is amazing, in comparison to our own, in general. If I had a 20,000 word limit, I wouldn't be able to rave enough about how I feel about the country, especially the South Moravian region. I don't really have the time to write now, anyway. I'm just getting a fresh half-liter of pilsner (just over a buck), and rolling up a j, here in my fave artists cafe'. Yeah, it's that kinda place. 400,000 population in Brno. 80,000 are students, and y'all know what that means.
Glsd to have you here on the forums - If I may add... Will you be returning to the Czech Republic? Perhaps you could get residency?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Czechs are very laid back compared to other Eastern Europeans. They have a goofy, self-deprecating sense of humor. A lot of Eastern Europeans are still very angry about the wars, the Nazis, the Soviets, etc., and are more chauvinistic and nationalist. Czechs are proud of their culture, but they do it in a gentler way.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM

282 posts, read 962,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Czechs are very laid back compared to other Eastern Europeans. They have a goofy, self-deprecating sense of humor. A lot of Eastern Europeans are still very angry about the wars, the Nazis, the Soviets, etc., and are more chauvinistic and nationalist. Czechs are proud of their culture, but they do it in a gentler way.
I honestly can't tell if you're that ignorant, or are just so deprived for attention that you need to annoy people... Czech Republic is as much an eastern European country as US is a south American country. Well actually thats also a horrible lie, since culturally and demographically and pretty much any other aspect US and Southern America have much more in common than Czech Republic and eastern Europe.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I haven't been there, but heard it's beautiful, has great beer, and the people are very liberal/open-minded.

Curious if you found this to be true? What's your impression of the country and people of the Czech Republic?
Speaking of liberal/open-minded, remember in American Pie the Czech exchange student who just went around everywhere naked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe