Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM

158 posts, read 382,691 times

Advertisements

Odessa is a great city, Constanta not that much; if you happen upon Romania's coastline, forget about Constanta, there is nothing to see there, visit the resorts: Mamai (luxury hotels, expensive services), Costinesti (some great clubs), 2 Mai (it's village sized and very quiet), Vama Veche (more laid back and free spirited) etc...
Bulgaria's tourism has had a huge german investment the last few years; their prices are very low, almost everything is all inclusive and they are learning to respect their tourists more and more every day - it is not an easy job, since they lack the education (as in tradition) for this, but they are getting there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Impressions are that they're not that wonderful...

Bulgaria has poverty that looks like Africa, I'm not exaggerating.

You are exaggerating just a little, though

Or it depends what parts of Bulgaria you've seen.
Keep in mind that what some people consider luxury, others see as barely livable situation...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
Odessa is a great city, Constanta not that much; if you happen upon Romania's coastline, forget about Constanta, there is nothing to see there, visit the resorts: Mamai (luxury hotels, expensive services), Costinesti (some great clubs), 2 Mai (it's village sized and very quiet), Vama Veche (more laid back and free spirited) etc...
Bulgaria's tourism has had a huge german investment the last few years; their prices are very low, almost everything is all inclusive and they are learning to respect their tourists more and more every day - it is not an easy job, since they lack the education (as in tradition) for this, but they are getting there
Great response. Sounds like 2 Mai, Vama Veche, and Cistinesti would be most interesting to me. Anything like that in Bulgaria?

Where would Varna and Burgas fit on the spectrum?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Great response. Sounds like 2 Mai, Vama Veche, and Cistinesti would be most interesting to me. Anything like that in Bulgaria?

Where would Varna and Burgas fit on the spectrum?
I am sorry, I don't have an answer for you, because I have only once been to Bulgaria and stayed for a few hours. But I did visit almost all the romanian resorts and if you have a western budget, you will be just fine, money wise.
Maybe someone native can give you more insight.
What I can tell you is that in Bulgaria you might find a nice, 3 stars, all inclusive hotel for a very low price. Romania is more expensive, but not because they have better services, as far as I can tell.
Online you can find plenty of offers and the prices are so low you will think it is a scam; it is not, it's just the East

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,269 times
Constanța is Romania's worst city (dirty, ruined old buildings), you'll be very dissapointed, except for the beauty of the sea and archaeological vestiges (was the most important city at Black Sea in antiquity).

On the other hand, Bucharest, cities in Transylania, or Iași, are very modern, clean, looking better than many parts of Western Europe. And countryside too is very beautiful.

Varna and Burgas, like Constanța too, are rather industrial cities but coastline is far more beautiful in Bulgaria, because is high, not flat. But the roads are bad in Bulgaria and is poorer than Romania.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Constanța is Romania's worst city (dirty, ruined old buildings), you'll be very dissapointed, except for the beauty of the sea and archaeological vestiges (was the most important city at Black Sea in antiquity).

On the other hand, Bucharest, cities in Transylania, or Iași, are very modern, clean, looking better than many parts of Western Europe. And countryside too is very beautiful.

Varna and Burgas, like Constanța too, are rather industrial cities but coastline is far more beautiful in Bulgaria, because is high, not flat. But the roads are bad in Bulgaria and is poorer than Romania.
Great information! That's the kind of stuff that's interesting to hear. Welcome to the forum as well, and great photos of Bucharest.

I didn't realize that the Bulgaria coastline was more rugged and less flat. Also interesting to know that most of those bigger cities are basically just industrial. Sounds better to bypass the cities, and try to focus on the smaller towns than.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 AM

39 posts, read 90,352 times
Quote:

As a fellow (former) Romanian I second this 100%. I lived in Sibiu, so much nicer than Constanța, just the general environment is a huge improvement. Parts of Constanța just feel too grimy and backwards.. run down flats and thick traffic everywhere. Even the "historical" areas feel like they're still trapped in communist romania. I can see how tourists would get a bad impression of Romania from visiting Constanța, it's unfortunate that's all we have to offer on the coastline.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Great information! That's the kind of stuff that's interesting to hear. Welcome to the forum as well, and great photos of Bucharest. I didn't realize that the Bulgaria coastline was more rugged and less flat. Also interesting to know that most of those bigger cities are basically just industrial. Sounds better to bypass the cities, and try to focus on the smaller towns than.

Bulgarian coast, while not mountainous, is some tens to a hundred meters high, with other flat parts too. Unfortunately, the road along the coast is relatively far from sea and you don't have much panoramic views for most of it.

The most interesting towns on Bulgarian coast are Nesebar and Sozopol, both having the historical core on peninsulas (Nesebar was initially an island, later linked to land by a road) with Greek and Roman vestiges, Byzantine churches and traditional Balkan houses.

Also Varna has a rich archaeological museum, with faboulous gold treasures of Thracian princes (Thracians were the people inhabiting Bulgaria in antiquity).

In Romania, on the coast I would recommend Mangalia (a town with some historical vestiges) and the resorts just north of it (Neptun, Saturn, there are several at small distance one to another) as especially Mamaia which is a continuation of Constanța and has a very lively nightlife if you go in July-August.

Also, part of the coastline is Danube Delta, a kind of Europe's Amazonia or Everglades, a labyrinth of countless water channels, floating vegetation islands and lakes (some 4,000 sq km) with an incredible rich bird and other fauna, as well particular culture (villages with houses covered in reed inhabited by a Russian religious minority). Is Europe's best preserved natural area but visiting a part of it (which equals a safari in some respects) takes from 3 days to as much you want. There are no roads (except inside villages), because the localities are isolated by water and marshlands and the access is made only by boats and ferries:

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

It sounds like I should focus more inland and away from the Black Sea, at least as far as Bulgaria and Romania go. I google mapped them, and they don't look all that interesting as far as cities go.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It sounds like I should focus more inland and away from the Black Sea, at least as far as Bulgaria and Romania go. I google mapped them, and they don't look all that interesting as far as cities go.
Constanța has seen a major improvement last months, the rehabilitation of central square, called Ovidiu Square was finished, some of the old houses have been restored, the streets are filled with foreign tourists.

I would say, don't miss it, mostly because north of it starts Mamaia (there is not unbuilt space between them), Romania's main resort, which in 2012 was labeled
World’s Most Fashionable Party Destination by Monaco International Clubbing Show.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe