Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by These Are Words View Post
I am worried about Paris mainly since that is where I want to go to.
There are just a couple of tourists here and there. Not like they're waving the American flag, so you won't know who is American and who's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
You don't need to worry. Everywhere is it's own place. Paris is Paris is Paris. Seeing some Americans there among thousands of other non-French people as well, doesn't make it any less Paris.

I don't know where your hometown is in the U.S., but if there is a college nearby with some Asian students, doesn't automatically make your entire city all 'Asian'. Your city remains what it is, you just happen to have some Asian students there too, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM

24 posts, read 24,109 times
well, in my experience some American tourists make a fool out of themselves and do things like pick fights with people for the heck of it, that gets irritating

one thing I am worried about in that regard

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
well, in my experience some American tourists make a fool out of themselves and do things like pick fights with people for the heck of it, that gets irritating

Don't worry about that. Some parts of Paris have A LOT of tourists from everywhere in the world including the US (Louvre area, Saint-Germain, Champs-Élysées..) while other parts have a lot less. A lot of peoples around the world are fascinated with Paris so it never really feels American anywhere (except I guess a couple of expat bars).

Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never been an expat in France, but I have been an American expat in many other countries. Usually it's the same scenario.

You'll ALWAYS find Americans (or any other nationality) in any foreign city in the world. It's really your choice if you want to search them out and hangout with them all the time (as some do), or if you want to 'go native' and avoid them altogether.

Generally, I find that 'in theory' everyons initially says they want to 'go native' and avoid all others of their same nationality. Than as time goes on, they decide they'd love to find a good Mexican restaurant (American's #1 cuisine of choice), or find some food or product that they enjoyed eating back in the U.S. (tortillas, sour cream, bbq sauce) or something or another. And suddenly find themselves taking the best of both worlds that they find themselves in.
So true. I lived in Central Europe for a few years in the early 90s, and heard my fellow Americans lament the lack of peanut butter, maple syrup, and, rather inexplicably, sushi mats! Sadly, at the time (pre-Tesco) such things were rarely available, and this sometimes drove people tearfully back into the welcoming arms of the Motherland!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:

You have nothing to worry about.

Most Americans actually are senstive to the many negative stereotypes/attributes thrown on them. As an American, If I overheard you saying that stuff from a coffee table, a subway train, or anywhere else, I wouldn't be picking a fight with you about it, I'd be giving you a wide berth, and avoid you entirely.

In an odd way, you'd repel most Americans that live abroad.

The only type of American that would pick a fight with you, would be a small-town uneducated provincial one, but there's no way that type is going to have the money or education to be living it up in Paris.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 AM

256 posts, read 452,571 times
Quote:

Do you realize how big Paris is? The odds of you running into a large concentration of Americans is slim (unless you're at the Eiffel Tower or something). I was in Paris last summer and don't recall running into Americans. Just go , enjoy the experience, and try not to think about what shenangigans your fellow countrymen may or may not be up to.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
Do you realize how big Paris is? The odds of you running into a large concentration of Americans is slim (unless you're at the Eiffel Tower or something). I was in Paris last summer and don't recall running into Americans. Just go , enjoy the experience, and try not to think about what shenangigans your fellow countrymen may or may not be up to.
Paris is a relatively small city.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Try not to worry too much. Go and enjoy yourself. I think you are going to have to share Paris with all different kinds of nationalities from what I have read. I've been trying to brush up on the country myself. Warning though, I'm american and I will be in Paris either the last week of April or between June 15- 30th! Who knows it may be an american that comes in handy when you at least expect it. I'm currently in Europe right now and I absolutely love it when I run into a fellow american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe