Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:46 AM

233 posts, read 449,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ireland is part of the british isles

agree with the choice of the netherlands

Irish, that's sad...
Irish should use Hibernia to distinguish themselves from the UK.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Yawn

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
True, the countryside of Normandy is very similar to southern England (but not at all the northern UK); and the English kingdom was born in the Scandinavian nobility that ruled Normandy.
Thats because southern england has the same rock type. Southern england was connected to europe. Ireland and scotland were part of newfoundland and france and england were part of europe. Thats why they are different. Dont believe me compare rocks in ireland and newfoundland or greenland.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats because southern england has the same rock type. Southern england was connected to europe. Ireland and scotland were part of newfoundland and france and england were part of europe. Thats why they are different. Dont believe me compare rocks in ireland and newfoundland or greenland.
What no Ireland was connected to Britain Or less your talking about 100 millions of years ago maybe?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Irish, that's sad...
Irish should use Hibernia to distinguish themselves from the UK.

its a relativley informal geographical description , nothing more , never heard of anyone here complaining about it tbh

Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What no Ireland was connected to Britain Or less your talking about 100 millions of years ago maybe?
the giant of scotland built a path ( causeway ) from scotland to ireland , he had planned to come over and fight irish giant " fionn mc cool " , the mc cools tricked him into believing that fionn was ten times as big and the ( much bigger giant ) from scotland scurried home , leaving the giants causeway behind him

thats what i learned in school and who am i to doubt it

Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

It was more eastern Britain (as far north as about Newcastle) that was connected to northern Europe then southern England.
When the England was connected to continental Europe it was to the rest of northern Europe thru the north sea (doogerland), not with what is now the Channel. England, Netherlands and northern Germany were actually the same land until about 6000 years ago. This area was already populated by gather-hunters.
But this land (Britain+ret of northern Europe) was disconnected to what is now France by the Channel; which was a sort of giant river mouth in which the thames, Rhine and other rivers connected themselves.

For about 400 000 years, with some interruption due to the glacial periods; the Channel used to be a huge river. There have been evidences that this has been subjects to huge floods. That it the reason why we found similar cliffs on both sides of the channel, in a distance of somtimes more than 150km (let's imagine how wide this river had been during those floods!)

Cliffs in Normandy
http://www.horizon-virtuel.com/europ...t/falaises.jpg

Cliffs in southern England
http://jakeandheatherabroad.files.wo...2-07-57-10.jpg

During the maximum last ice age (-25 000); the British isles were connected to Scandinavia thru the doggerland (wich was largely coverd by ice back then); and the giant channel river runned into what is now the sea "channel".
http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2010/0...52d466742b.jpg
http://www.geographical.co.uk/vnoffi...55,255/Map.jpg
http://craies.crihan.fr/wp-content/u...Manche25ka.jpg

later, the the ice melted, the doggerland still was there until a relatively recent period (some say about -4000), before it has been changed into a sea.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_td_WuF7CsdY/TDrZVrsY_kI/AAAAAAAAA-Q/RBfbppCksb8/s1600/348px-Doggerland.svg.png
http://nextnature.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2007_dogger_re-engineered_satelite_photo_530.jpg

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 AM

599 posts, read 2,592,195 times
Besides obviously Ireland that would be North-western france followed by wallonia (belgium) the Flemish and Specially dutch are way too germanic, in attitudes, character and appearance to resemble the british people. The british look more celtic/brythonic to me, they have ruder attitudes, and behave more agressive as a group of peoples, you only see that in UK and Ireland, people in scandinavia, netherlands, germany are more civilized.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Besides obviously Ireland that would be North-western france followed by wallonia (belgium) the Flemish and Specially dutch are way too germanic, in attitudes, character and appearance to resemble the british people. The british look more celtic/brythonic to me, they have ruder attitudes, and behave more agressive as a group of peoples, you only see that in UK and Ireland, people in scandinavia, netherlands, germany are more civilized.
You are wrong. The British are a germanic people. All the "celtic stuff" is just mythology. Netherlands, Flanders are much more similar to England than any part of France. There are nothing "celtic" about north-western France (btw, on the west part of Britanny was "celtic" (it is not anymore since more than a century), that is far to be "northwestern France" as a whole.

I don't think at all that British have "rude attitudes". The British stereotype is inversely that of fair play and respectful people (I agree that it does not always fit the reality, that this is also the case with Germans or Dutch).

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
You are wrong. The British are a germanic people. All the "celtic stuff" is just mythology. Netherlands, Flanders are much more similar to England than any part of France. There are nothing "celtic" about north-western France (btw, on the west part of Britanny was "celtic" (it is not anymore since more than a century), that is far to be "northwestern France" as a whole.

I don't think at all that British have "rude attitudes". The British stereotype is inversely that of fair play and respectful people (I agree that it does not always fit the reality, that this is also the case with Germans or Dutch).
You are obsessed with the ethnic makeup of the British! You seem terrified of the thought of being 'lumped in' with them too lol, as previously stated the British are not particularly Germanic, they are not particularly Celtic either! And let's be honest because of proximity and the intertwined history of our nation I'm afraid a percentage of Britain's are going to be closely related to some French!! You are going to have to get used to the idea!! Actually I can see you've embraced the idea a little by learning the lingo already! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe