Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 PM

92 posts, read 201,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
For whatever reason, here in Chicago, I seem to see a lot of Scandanavian tourists.
From what I hear, there's a lot of German tourist in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I don't get why the city most loved by Europeans would be the most European-like city.

Personally, if I go to Europe, I don't want to be surrounded by Americana.

I would say Orlando, Miami, or Las Vegas.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roe5745 View Post
Favourite city?

Well it has to be New York doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The first and often only place we Europeans visit is usually New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchHerry View Post
I would say New York of course, but like Tiger Bear says If I visit the US again I'm gonna go to the midwest or something like that to see the "real America".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
I am surprised that Chicago has been mentioned a few times. Why would Chicago be one of the favourite US cities for EU visitors? I admit I don't know much about it but it doesn't strike me as an obvious choice. I think top destinations are NYC, Las Vegas and Miami (plus the rest of Florida) as well as San Francisco and maybe LA (Hollywood etc).
Chicago...(more often referred to as Chicagoland) is HUGE and there are not enough words in any language which could adequately describe ALL of the amazing things to see and do here. Truthfully, it has taken me a lifetime and there are still many more places to see, experience, and things to do.

Chicago is a very clean city; full of green and natural spaces (our beaches, parks and lakefront, just to name a few), an open-air museum. Chicagoans are great people; we are friendly, fun, hard-working and best of all, midwestern and genuine.

It is an urban, diverse, chic, hip, sometimes gritty, sophisticated, down to earth...and very fascinating city. I would love to be a private tourist guide to the real Chicago with all of its hidden and not so hidden treasures.

Come see us some time...you won't be sorry!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

The domestic competition for international travelers also is fierce. New York, the top destination, has sales reps in 18 markets, the convention bureau reported. Chicago hopes to have reps in four countries by the end of this year, including Brazil.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-22/news/ct-biz-0322-selling-chicago-20120322_1_chicago-convention-chicago-tourism-officials-nato-summit

As the hub of the Midwest, Chicago is easy to find —its picturesque skyline calls across the waters of huge Lake Michigan, a first impression that soon reveals world-class museums of art and science, miles of sandy beaches, huge parks and public art, and perhaps the finest downtown collection of architecture in the world.

Chicago travel guide - Wikitravel

Chicago Things To Do - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist

Graceland Cemetery - Chicago - Reviews of Graceland Cemetery - TripAdvisor

A Visit to a European Church in Chicago - Review of Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica, Chicago, IL - TripAdvisor

Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I don't get why the city most loved by Europeans would be the most European-like city.

Personally, if I go to Europe, I don't want to be surrounded by Americana.

I would say Orlando, Miami, or Las Vegas.
I think Americas most "European" cities will still fell very "American" to a European tourist.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM

13 posts, read 16,452 times
For me, it's Las Vegas, NV.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
If you are trying to say that Orlando or Las Vegas epitomise America, then god help the US. I have no interest in visiting those places, they are tacky, soulless cities. Boston feels European in many ways, but you can still evidently see that you are in the US.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Was Florida all one trip for you or do you visit it pretty often to get out of winter?
Been there 6 times.

5x with my parents as a kid/teenager (when i was 8, 9, 12, 13 and 18, always in October-November) in Orlando, mainly for the theme parks Disney, Universal etc. and the good weather, had a couple daytrips to Tampa and Daytona Beach.
Always asked my dad to make that drive down to Miami but he said it was to far and that it was overrated/dangerous full of latino and black gangs killing each other over cocaine.

and 1 time by myself, 2 years ago (October-November 2011) when i was 20, i went on a 3-week caribbean cruise, got on in NYC and at the end got off in Ft.Lauderdale spend 1 day there, I checked-in in my hotel in Sunny Isles and took the bus to South Beach, got drunk, high and robbed, stayed there for a weekend but i was kinda disappointed in the place, expected it to be less ghetto and more 24/7.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
when a European (maybe it also works nor any non-American); they would more likly shoose New York for a first trip. Obviously the size and the cultural/architectural attractiveness of that city is unbeatable. This is the REAL capital of the USA (culture, tourism, economy, medias,...), even if Washington is the administrative capital.

Then, other big cities might be on the list, but for later trips; after having seen THE city.
It might be Los Angeles, once again for its size, mediatic image, cinema...
It might be San Francisco, Miami (for its climate), or Boston, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
when a European (maybe it also works nor any non-American); they would more likly shoose New York for a first trip. Obviously the size and the cultural/architectural attractiveness of that city is unbeatable. This is the REAL capital of the USA (culture, tourism, economy, medias,...), even if Washington is the administrative capital.

Then, other big cities might be on the list, but for later trips; after having seen THE city.
It might be Los Angeles, once again for its size, mediatic image, cinema...
It might be San Francisco, Miami (for its climate), or Boston, etc.
². Exactly the same attitude prevails here. First trip to the US = New York. Afterwards you go and visit other cities/regions.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
I keep seeing San Francisco mentioned, but what's the draw for tourists? There's a nice bridge, of course, but what else is distinctive?

I've lived there and I'd love to live there again if I became wealthy, but there's just nothing really unique about it that I'd want to pay big money to see as a tourist. And you WOULD pay big money to stay at a decent hotel.

NYC and Vegas seem to me to be the most distinctively US cities, there's nothing like either one anywhere else. Maybe Hollywood too if one is interested in celebrities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe