Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM

567 posts, read 1,114,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
As an american, I hate country music. It literally hurts my ears.
Most of the "pop country" that's come out of Trashville since the late 80s is god-awful. But there's classic stuff (Cash, Jennings, Haggard, etc. etc.) and there's people on the fringes who take after the classic stuff (Hank III, Bottle Rockets, Be Good Tanyas, O'Death, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 AM

301 posts, read 327,592 times
I wouldn't say any of Russians I know do know this genre of music. I didn't myself until the end of 2011. I like country music if it's cheerful and I hate slow sad songs.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM

14 posts, read 17,539 times
i grew up with it in the US. it's awesome. when i lived in Glasgow (Scotland) there was a Grand Ole Opry. History

Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,207,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird13 View Post
I wouldn't say any of Russians I know do know this genre of music. I didn't myself until the end of 2011. I like country music if it's cheerful and I hate slow sad songs.
I agree, same here, no slow and sad country....Old country music ( lets say around 1965, "Classic country") is quite boring but when we are talking about country-rock, that is music for my taste.

As an great fan of Dolly Parton (Have been on her concert too ) , she is good exsample, concerning music genre.
Sure there many others too...Gretchen Wilson, Allan Jackson, Marty Felle etc.

Next time when Dolly comes to Europe again, I am ready to enjoy hear her singing.

DOLLY PARTON-YOU DON'T KNOW LOVE FROM SHINOLA live in LONDON 2009 {with subtitles} - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,477,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do they drive big trucks like this?

http://www.knfilters.com/images/pres...t-LaJuett3.jpg

just kidding lol, I can't imagine seeing something like that in Italy or France.
I see those kind of a cars almost daily here in Finland

Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,136,384 times
Re that truck...

...and Scandinavia, Sweden specifically.

I dont know if they like country music but they apparently have a jones for US hot rods. Check this out...its a hoot!

Power Big Meet

...some nice cars there...waay over there.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,013,732 times
Country music is absolutely huge in both the UKand Ireland though in my opinion there are so many different strands of country that pander to different tastes that opinions invariably variably vary dramatically from one country music fan to another. Then of course there's Bluegrass which is almost an entirely different genre all by itself. I like them all though some genres more than other.

I tend to favour country-rock in the vein of the Byrds, Gene Clark and Gram Parsons ahead of more poppy country sounds from the likes of George Strait or the Dixie Chicks. Bruce Springsteen used alot of Celtic influences on 'Wrecking Ball' and country music as well as folk is very popular in Ireland.

I am also a massive fan of Mickey Newbury who derserves much wider recognition. He wrote 'An American Trilogy' a song made famous by Elvis and was a sublime songwriter.

Mickey Newbury - An American Trilogy - YouTube

You can't talk about the Stones without mentioning the influence of country rock and Gram Parsons on albums such as 'Sticky Fingers', 'Let It Bleed' or 'Exile On Main Street' so to say the influence of country music has been immense on the UK music scene would be an understatement. It has been for decades dating back to the Everly Brothers, hank Williams and beyond I'm sure.

Even in recent times Primal Scream (Springsteen and E-Street band are big fans) did a cover on the B-side to 'Country Girl' that introduced me to Townes Van Zandt now my favourite country singer. I would describe his songs as country-folk. This is an example of his quality.

Townes Van Zandt - Pancho And Lefty - YouTube

Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 986,407 times
I think this group started for Germany in the European Song Contest

Texas Lightning - No No Never - Video

Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times
Has anyone heard this song, red solo cup?

Even people in America who don't like country music love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CLacRKKhG8

Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM

381 posts, read 944,951 times

El Koala - Yo Via Jase Un Corra - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe