Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its not sad, we appreciate the attention.

whats sad is how so many people oversees have all these strong opinions about America, but in America people don't even acknowledge that other countries even exist.
That's not true of any of my friends or family! They are too busy planning the next trip abroad - to places all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You can say that again! I saw a brief report on the news today about a US state (forgot which one) that wanted to limit portion sizes on things like soda and they showed a cinema that served soda in 1.5 liter cups
See whats up with news in the Netherlands reporting on soda portion sizes in the USA?

Just kidding, ill assume it was from some international news station like CNN or AlJazerra?

Anyways. was this what you read?
Judge blocks NYC large soda ban; Bloomberg vows appeal
i guess if I'm in the area ill be buying my Coke a Cola in New Jersey.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
That's not true of any of my friends or family! They are too busy planning the next trip abroad - to places all over the world.
Me too, i want to travel abroad and act and dress just like this guy

**** Americans Say in Paris - Ludovik - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
See whats up with news in the Netherlands reporting on soda portion sizes in the USA?

Just kidding, ill assume it was from some international news station like CNN or AlJazerra?

Anyways. was this what you read?
Judge blocks NYC large soda ban; Bloomberg vows appeal
i guess if I'm in the area ill be buying my Coke a Cola in New Jersey.
Yes, it was about the NYC soda ban. I saw it on the Dutch news (TV), it has a section that covers news from all over the world including the US. There is only so much interesting news to report about the Netherlands

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Do they have shows like Honey Boo Boo, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Welcome to Myrtle Manor, Real World and/or Jersey Shore? in France or any other country in Europe?

I think if i never lived here and i was exposed to all those shows i would be like, "what is wrong with that crazy place?"

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
When dealing with the French, always act slightly bored and annoyed.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Do they have shows like Honey Boo Boo, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Welcome to Myrtle Manor, Real World and/or Jersey Shore? in France or any other country in Europe?

I think if i never lived here and i was exposed to all those shows i would be like, "what is wrong with that crazy place?"
Some of the Scandinavians here have made reference to Honey Boo Boo, unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 AM

370 posts, read 950,980 times
Quote:

Yes, but there's such a hoard of crappy TV serials in Italy, Spain, France, England, etc...that those grotesque US serials look like high quality.....not to mention subsidised European movies...

Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 AM

370 posts, read 950,980 times
Quote:
Its not sad, we appreciate the attention.

whats sad is how so many people oversees have all these strong opinions about America, but in America people don't even acknowledge that other countries even exist.

Most people in western Europe don't have strong opinions about the US at all. Most would like to go to NY as tourists, or take their kids to Disneyland or go to Las Vegas, to Route 66, Los Angeles, etc.

But Europe is very big, and many of those "new countries" (and also the "old countries") have received a vast amount of antiamerican propaganda during the cold war, there are also many muslims that hate the US and "godless countries" (including European countries) and a vast pool of ignorant people, just like any country on the face of the earth.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 AM

112 posts, read 353,818 times
Excluding the radicals, at the end of the day it boils down to ignorance.
Concerning France, you have to realise that:
1. French people don't speak other languages, although they are starting to get better in English.
2. French people rarely leave France, and if they do, they don't really come from an international mindset to begin with.

It's a little bit like when GIs arrived in France after WW2. French people only saw Americans from Hollywood and thought Americans would look just like that.

They have these cultural stereotypes about many nations.
In fact Americans and every nation on earth have preconceived conceptions of other nations.
People in the so-called third world have even worse pre-conceptions of other countries.

As a speaker of over 3 languages, and having lived on multiple continents...I am of the opinion that opening your mind to other points of views...And thinking like the French, like the Americans, like the Germans, and so on...Can ease alot of pain and create a more balanced view of the world...Unfortunately national politics, media, ignorance...Just adds fuel to the fire...Peace to you all: A bientot, Tschuss, See you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe