Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
That is what I recall. However its well under 1k€/month. People there cannot afford heating bills, food etc. Never heard of that kind of a news from "Eastern-Europe". Those 3 countries have always been 3rd world...
Really, you've never heard of people from, say, Moldova being unable to pay for heating bills or food? Maybe this video will enlighten you:

I hope you're not serious. Anyway, let's get back on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Really, you've never heard of people from, say, Moldova being unable to pay for heating bills or food? Maybe this video will enlighten you:

I hope you're not serious. Anyway, let's get back on topic.
Moldova I consider Moldova being part of Russia.. And it is barely in geographical Europe. But yes, technically you were right.

I was joking but not sure if that MP was.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Moldova I consider Moldova being part of Russia.. And it is barely in geographical Europe. But yes, technically you were right.

I was joking but not sure if that MP was.
How on earth is Moldova part of Russia? They don't even border each other. I suppose Romania is part of Russia as well in your mind?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
How on earth is Moldova part of Russia? They don't even border each other. I suppose Romania is part of Russia as well in your mind?
Weren't they both behind the iron curtain? Moldova was part of Soviet Union, they speak russian etc. Sounds pretty russian to me

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Weren't they both behind the iron curtain? Moldova was part of Soviet Union, they speak russian etc. Sounds pretty russian to me
Yes, so was East Germany so I guess half of Germany is Russian too The Iron Curtain fell over two decades ago in case you haven't noticed. And Moldovans speak Romanian (or a dialect of Romanian) - which is a Latin language btw.

Quote:
EDIT: Ok here is your proof:

List of countries in Europe by monthly average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greece: 1200€/month but accoring news it has been declining: Salaries in Greece 50% makes less than 1140€/month(2011). They are poor. My finnish news site used that 600€/month but couldnt find english proof
1200 euros per month is double of what you said and it's more than any other country in Eastern Europe, as well as Portugal and the Czech Republic. And even if it was 600 euros, which I highly doubt, it would still be higher than many EE countries according to the link you provided. Thanks for proving my point

Greece may be considered 'poor' from a Western European standpoint but certainly not when you look at the global picture. It is a first-world country. Its average wage is only slightly behind Germany and Italy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_average_wage, using the criterium of wealth you introduced.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, so was East Germany so I guess half of Germany is Russian too The Iron Curtain fell over two decades ago in case you haven't noticed. And Moldovans speak Romanian (or a dialect of Romanian) - which is a Latin language btw.

1200 euros per month is double of what you said and it's more than any other country in Eastern Europe, as well as Portugal and the Czech Republic. And even if it was 600 euros, which I highly doubt, it would still be higher than many EE countries according to the link you provided. Thanks for proving my point

Greece may be considered 'poor' from a Western European standpoint but certainly not when you look at the global picture. It is a first-world country. Its average wage is only slightly behind Germany and Italy: List of countries by average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, using the criterium of wealth you introduced.
In Germany they speak Germany Russia is the official language of Moldova. Germany is part of Eurozone, EU etc.

As I said I couldn't come up with english source. Their median is propably much lower than the average, because theres a huge cap between poor and rich.

Maybe I sometimes forget about the "East". Then again my point is still valid: they are getting poorer. And they are poor by "Western standards".

Media in my country is pretty sure that Greece has already gone down the drain. Their unemployment rate is like 25% and growing.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
In Germany they speak Germany Russia is the official language of Moldova. Germany is part of Eurozone, EU etc.
No, Moldovan is the official language of Moldova and it is not related to Russian at all. Watch that video I posted and see if the language the people are speaking sounds even remotely like Russian. Moldovan is a Latin language, it is practically the same as Romanian. There is a small Russian/Ukrainian minority (appr. 16%) that speaks Russian but that's it. See: Moldova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't know countries had to be part of the Eurozone and EU in order to be European? Guess Switzerland and Norway are somehow part of Russia as well then. Moldova is too poor to be accepted into the EU, let alone the Eurozone, it has nothing to do with whether or not it's "European" enough.

Btw, scholars universally consider the western half of Russia to be part of Europe.

Quote:
As I said I couldn't come up with english source. Their median is propably much lower than the average, because theres a huge cap between poor and rich.
You can't come up with a source because it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Maybe I sometimes forget about the "East". Then again my point is still valid: they are getting poorer. And they are poor by "Western standards".

Media in my country is pretty sure that Greece has already gone down the drain. Their unemployment rate is like 25% and growing.
Yes, you seem to want to brush the not-so-successful European countries under the rug and pretend they're not really European, which is incredibly ignorant. Moldova is every bit as European as Germany.

Is Portugal part of the West? Because Greece is wealthier than Portugal in terms of GDP per capita and average wage. The unemployment rate in Spain is as bad, if not worse, as in Greece. I guess we'll have to erase Iberia from the map of Europe as well now.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Finland was part of Russia too for over a hundred years, and I heard they speak Russian in Finland too. Sounds pretty russian to me. Finland = not a European country.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
I think this may be of interest to some people: http://www.langlophone.com/20100526_...le_flipped.pdf

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM

44 posts, read 92,350 times
I never thought that to be part of Europe so prestigious, if Japan or S. Korea in Asia is it so bad? Some Asian countries have much better quality of life than many European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe