Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,224,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Finland was part of Russia too for over a hundred years, and I heard they speak Russian in Finland too. Sounds pretty russian to me. Finland = not a European country.

moldova is culturally very similar to romania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,781,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Isn't a large part of Ireland living under the European standard?
Ireland is not Romania.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,477,518 times
Quote:
Finland was part of Russia too for over a hundred years, and I heard they speak Russian in Finland too. Sounds pretty russian to me. Finland = not a European country.
Actually Finland, as a nation state, was never part of Russia. And the russian language is not an official language, like it is in Moldova and other Eastern-Bloc countries.

I believe America was owned by British longer than Russia did own Finland.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

10,647 posts, read 15,915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Ireland is not Romania.
Read that the Western part of Ireland GDP per capita is 20% lower compared to the Eastern part.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,477,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, Moldovan is the official language of Moldova and it is not related to Russian at all. Watch that video I posted and see if the language the people are speaking sounds even remotely like Russian. Moldovan is a Latin language, it is practically the same as Romanian. There is a small Russian/Ukrainian minority (appr. 16%) that speaks Russian but that's it. See: Moldova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't know countries had to be part of the Eurozone and EU in order to be European? Guess Switzerland and Norway are somehow part of Russia as well then. Moldova is too poor to be accepted into the EU, let alone the Eurozone, it has nothing to do with whether or not it's "European" enough.

Btw, scholars universally consider the western half of Russia to be part of Europe.

You can't come up with a source because it doesn't exist.

Yes, you seem to want to brush the not-so-successful European countries under the rug and pretend they're not really European, which is incredibly ignorant. Moldova is every bit as European as Germany.

Is Portugal part of the West? Because Greece is wealthier than Portugal in terms of GDP per capita and average wage. The unemployment rate in Spain is as bad, if not worse, as in Greece. I guess we'll have to erase Iberia from the map of Europe as well now.
Hmm maybe Moldova isn't Russia after all. You just never hear anything about it, so maybe I was little under educated. Then again I can see Moldova in my map :

I don't know about scholars but they teach in School that geographical Europe starts from Ural.

Quote:
The 2012 law also smashed through the floor of Greece's minimum wage, which stood at 751 euros ($989) a month gross. It is now 586 euros ($772) and a mere 511 ($673) for the young.
Quote:
"For as long as these dead end, destructive policies continue, we will continue to act against them," says Moutafis. "The strike is about [bringing back] sectoral wage agreements and workers' rights, and it's about more democracy and a dignified standard of living for salaried employees."

The siphoning off of wealth also means that Greece's productivity is declining because of underinvestment, says Robolis. "160,000 companies have gone bust in three years… The investments made by small enterprises are being destroyed. It will take vast sums of money to turn that around."
No wonder they chop wood Hear they even burned Plato's favorite tree

And yes not many people like South because they are just reckless and cannot be trusted.

Quote:
We discover – yet again, you might say – that Germany, Holland, and Finland will not stand behind their solemn pledge of solidarity when push comes to shove.
Spain’s premier Mariano Rajoy has been betrayed. Nobody should be entirely surprised if he and the Spanish arch-nationalists in his circle offer a condign riposte, and bring down the entire temple on the heads of the creditor powers.
He bit the bullet and agreed to the highly intrusive terms of a €100bn eurozone rescue for the Spanish banking system on a specific understanding: that the ESM bail-out fund would ultimately take over the burden by recapitalising Spain’s banks directly.
Quote:
Be that as it may, Mr Rajoy now learns that the AAA trio will not permit direct recapitalisation of the Spain’s "legacy" banks by the ESM, even after the new European bank regulator is up and running.
The burden will fall entirely on Spain, or so it seems. Spain must raise €60bn in fresh debt on the capital markets to plug the hole, or nearer €150bn if City sceptics are right.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...ayal-of-spain/

Last edited by Majurius; 03-14-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM

10,647 posts, read 15,915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Hmm maybe Moldova isn't Russia after all. You just never hear anything about it, so maybe I was little under educated. Then again I can see Moldova in my map :

I don't know about scholars but they teach in School that geographical Europe starts from Ural.
Belarus, Georgia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan feels more Russian to me than Moldova.
Don't really link the other countries with Russia anymore.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
Quote:
The problem is that Russia is very much a part of Europe.

Quote:
Actually Finland, as a nation state, was never part of Russia. And the russian language is not an official language, like it is in Moldova and other Eastern-Bloc countries.
Russian is an official language in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan and Tajikistan.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 AM

2,673 posts, read 5,428,571 times
Quote:
Read that the Western part of Ireland GDP per capita is 20% lower compared to the Eastern part.
That happens in most countries. In Australia the GDP of NSW is a lot higher than NT. Also London GDP is much higher than other parts of Britain. Despite the problems at the moment Ireland is classified as a wealthy country.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,224,164 times
Quote:
same with the north and south of england , the west of ireland is very sparsley populated

Old 03-16-2013, 03:04 PM

3,717 posts, read 5,247,004 times
Quote:
Weren't they both behind the iron curtain? Moldova was part of Soviet Union, they speak russian etc. Sounds pretty russian to me
IF moldova is part of russia for you then Finland certainly is too, coz your country does border russia, unlike Moldova.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe