Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

I'd visit the South again. I have no plans on visiting anytime soon, but I enjoyed my brief stay in Knoxville and northeast Alabama. The locals in northeast Alabama liked my PA Yankee accent lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,537 times
The French like to visit the big cities and New Orleans.

The Brits like to visit the South or California because it is warmer.

While Central and Eastern Europeans can be anywhere..

At least, based on my observation.

However, I think pretty much any European nationals with kids visiting the US would visit Orlando for Disney World.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
The French like to visit the big cities and New Orleans.

The Brits like to visit the South or California because it is warmer.

While Central and Eastern Europeans can be anywhere..

At least, based on my observation.

However, I think pretty much any European nationals with kids visiting the US would visit Orlando for Disney World

That's so funny. Hell, I LIVE in the US - the SOUTHERN US - and have never taken any kids or grandkids to Disney World!

But I hate touristy stuff. I mean, I can tolerate it at a historical site, but commercial touristy stuff like theme parks and places like Pigeon Forge, TN or any other place dominated by plastic and amusement parks...well, ugh...I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than go to one of those. On any continent!

I can't imagine going all the way to Europe to go to an amusement park. But oh well...people love Disney, so I'm just glad they're THERE while I'm poking around in some historical ruin or a museum somewhere - less of a crowd!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Great Lakes states are better.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's so funny. Hell, I LIVE in the US - the SOUTHERN US - and have never taken any kids or grandkids to Disney World!

But I hate touristy stuff. I mean, I can tolerate it at a historical site, but commercial touristy stuff like theme parks and places like Pigeon Forge, TN or any other place dominated by plastic and amusement parks...well, ugh...I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than go to one of those. On any continent!

I can't imagine going all the way to Europe to go to an amusement park. But oh well...people love Disney, so I'm just glad they're THERE while I'm poking around in some historical ruin or a museum somewhere - less of a crowd!
Poor children There is nothing more fun than amusement parks to me. I love taking my nephews there and seeing them all excited and happy I'm sure Disney World would be a dream come true for them (and for me too ).

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Poor children There is nothing more fun than amusement parks to me. I love taking my nephews there and seeing them all excited and happy I'm sure Disney World would be a dream come true for them (and for me too ).
Have at it! I hope you get the chance to go.

My kids (all grown now) have been to amusement parks. Like me, they have simply never cared for them, though all of us DO love water parks. Especially the Schlitterbahn in the Hill Country of Texas (it's in a more natural setting than most water parks).

Our family has always preferred more "artsy" and historical forays, or outdoor adventures, beaches, mountains, that sort of thing. I prefer taking my grandkids to the Science Center or Jamestown, VA or a Renaissance Festival - I get to see plenty of excitement and happiness on their little faces when we do those sorts of things together.

But like I said, to each his own. Obviously many people love Disney World. My family is just not interested in it.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
National Parks.
The south doesn't have the big national parks.

Isn't Florida in the south?
I know lots of Europeans who have been to Florida regularly.
I also know Europeans who are well traveled throughout the US, more so than US citizens.

People travel where they want to travel.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
National Parks.

I also know Europeans who are well traveled throughout the US, more so than US citizens.

Smoky Mountains y'all!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
National Parks.

I know that people "travel where they want to travel." But I also know that sometimes people aren't aware of what some regions have to offer, or that they have misconceptions about places. For instance, on this very thread, someone said that they thought the American South is full of nothing but big cities and gun toting cowboys. Come on. Seriously?

I didn't think I'd care a thing for Wittenburg, Germany. I don't admire Martin Luther, and after spending two years in beautiful Bavaria, I wasn't the slightest bit interested in going to Wittenburg of all places. Till I went. It was fascinating. If people hadn't worked at dispelling my misconceptions, I would have missed out on a really interesting trip.

Same with Brno, Slovakia. People told me, and tour books told me, that it was a plain, rather dirty industrial city. Unfortunately - or rather FORTUNATELY - I got snowed in for four days there once. It was a fabulous four days - and I didn't have to fight crowds. Brno has a beautiful city center and I would have missed it - now I look back on that trip as one of my favorite holidays. In fact, I'd love to go back and stay in the same hotel (the Jakuba) and eat at the same restaurants!

By the way, Florida is geographically South but not at all culturally "the South." It is much more congested than most areas of the south, and is populated predominately by people who have retired from colder climates or who have moved there to work in the tourist or retirement industries. It does, however, have some fabulous beaches. But you won't experience the American South there much.

Finally, the South does have many excellent national parks. Here are just a few that are SUPERB:

North Carolina's Outer Banks:
Cape Hatteras National Seashore - Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Shenandoah National Park (Appalachian Mountains) in Virginia:
Skyline Drive

Assateague Island National Seashore, also in Virginia:
Assateague Island National Seashore - Assateague Island National Seashore

Congaree National Park in South Carolina:
Congaree National Park - Congaree National Park

Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee:
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Big Bend National Park in Texas:
Big Bend National Park - Big Bend National Park

Also in Texas, the Rio Grande:
Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River - Rio Grande Wild & Scenic River

And Padre Island National Seashore:
Padre Island National Seashore - Padre Island National Seashore

Cane River National Heritage Area in Louisiana:
Cane River National Heritage Area - Cane River National Heritage Area

And also in Louisiana, Jean LaFitte National Historical Park:
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Like I said, these are just a FEW of the many excellent national parks in the American South.

So - once again - COME ON DOWN - you can come through the back door, cuz we're casual that way down here. Have a tall glass of sweet tea, too!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Smoky Mountains y'all!
Yes, right - just to name one of MANY southern national parks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe