Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm wrong about this, but it seems like the most common destinations for Europeans when they visit the US are on the East and West coasts, and on the East Coast tend to be more in the northern part of the country. Europeans often also seem to be drawn to Chicago and Florida. But I rarely hear any Europeans talking about visiting places like Atlanta GA, Nashville TN, Mobile AL, Charleston SC, Fort Worth or San Antonio TX - heck, I rarely even hear them talking about being curious about or visiting New Orleans LA, which REALLY surprises me.

Now - I know I'm probably going to hear from individual Europeans who protest and say they've gone to some of these places, and I am sure that's true - but I'm talking about GENERALLY SPEAKING. Generally speaking, the American South seems to be quite overlooked as a tourist destination for Europeans.

Insight, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I've heard the opposite, most Europeans tend to visit the South and Southwest than anywhere else, except New York City. European immigrants also tend to settle in southern cities as well like Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. When visiting though, it seems like central North Carolina and northern Georgia are the top destinations in the South for Europeans

Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've heard the opposite, most Europeans tend to visit the South and Southwest than anywhere else, except New York City
Interesting.

I've been reading the thread that discusses Europeans' favorite places to visit in the US and it seems that the vast majority of the places mentioned are in the Northeast, California, and then there's the wild card of Chicago.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting.

I've been reading the thread that discusses Europeans' favorite places to visit in the US and it seems that the vast majority of the places mentioned are in the Northeast, California, and then there's the wild card of Chicago.
Well I don't speak for all Europeans, but generally the British tend to favor places like Raleigh, Orlando, Charleston, Houston, L.A., San Diego. The Spanish pretty much only visit NYC, Chicago, California, Florida, and Puerto Rico. Eastern Europeans seem to populate and visit the Northeast and Midwest more, while western and central Europeans seem to like the south better but overwhelmingly prefer Florida and very isolated pockets of the Deep South like Atlanta, Charleston, and Raleigh/Charlotte. My state seems to be Little Poland, Ukraine, and Russia

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I have a lot of acquaintances from Europe. None visit the south, other than Miami.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have a lot of acquaintances from Europe. None visit the south, other than Miami.
Been my thoughts and experiences as well. If they do visit the south, it's almost always Atlanta, Charlotte/Raleigh, Orlando, or Miami. Houston seems to be the top destination for visitors and expats alike in Texas. The Brits seem to prefer Atlanta, Orlando, Phoenix, Houston, and L.A. in large numbers. The Irish predominantly settle between New York City and Boston while Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York are popular for many people from Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia

Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM

It's a pity if this is the case, because the American South is very unique - ESPECIALLY areas like Charleston, New Orleans, Nashville, and San Antonio (or heck, even Dallas/Fort Worth). Also, those towns aren't the sprawling, impersonal places like some other tourist destinations - even though they have lots of tourist business, there's tons of local charm and ambiance, as well as history. Not to mention good weather for most of the year (excluding July thru September if one can't take the heat - though it doesn't personally bother this southern girl and may not bother people from southern Europe either).

Plus - southerners in general are famous for their hospitality.

I wonder why more Europeans don't come to the American South SPECIFICALLY for vacations.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Seattle, San Fran and New York would be my picks. But Memphis has always intrigued me also. Love music and heard the Beale Street Music Festival is great.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's a pity if this is the case, because the American South is very unique - ESPECIALLY areas like Charleston, New Orleans, Nashville, and San Antonio (or heck, even Dallas/Fort Worth). Also, those towns aren't the sprawling, impersonal places like some other tourist destinations - even though they have lots of tourist business, there's tons of local charm and ambiance, as well as history. Not to mention good weather for most of the year (excluding July thru September if one can't take the heat - though it doesn't personally bother this southern girl and may not bother people from southern Europe either).

Plus - southerners in general are famous for their hospitality.

I wonder why more Europeans don't come to the American South SPECIFICALLY for vacations.
That's what I'm saying Kath. They do, they just don't come for the Southerners or Southern hospitality, most don't care for Southerners since they think all of them are like Sarah Palin who give AK-47s to their children as birthday presents. They come for Mickey Mouse and the winter warmth and sunshine or a bit of the cosmopolitan with Atlanta. If anything, I always told Europeans that have ever asked me about the US that there is more to the US than the South and California . A lot of Brits assume I was from the Southern states as well when I was over there. It seemed a surprise when I told them no, I'm from a state that borders Canada.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM

I guess I'm trying to figure out WHY so many Europeans tend to overlook the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe