Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 PM

647 posts, read 796,857 times

Advertisements

Work-life balance? Germany
Health care quality? Germany
Friendliness of people? Italy
Ease to immigrate (for US citizens)? ??
Ethnic diversity? France
Quality of education? Germany
Cost of living? Italy
Ease at being able to find a permanent job (we are in the engineering & IT fields)? Germany
Best for single mothers? ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:10 PM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Between what people believe and the reality, there is a big gap!
Work life balance and health care quality, France and Italy are far better!
Regarding quality of education, Germany is only good for secondary education and only in Mathematics!

Last edited by amaroW; 01-26-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Between what people believe and the reality, there is a big gap!
*cough*

Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 AM

545 posts, read 866,119 times
Work-life balance? France and Italy
Health care quality? Germany and France are good (don't know about Italy, but I assume it should be as well)
Friendliness of people? All nice
Ease to immigrate (for US citizens)? Quite hard everywhere in Europe
Ethnic diversity? France (big cities)
Quality of education? France and Germany from experience (I met enough Italian studying abroad to come to this conclusion, I don't know about secondary school tho)
Cost of living? Germany and Italy
Ease at being able to find a permanent job (we are in the engineering & IT fields)? Germany (even if it shouldn't be hard in both other countries either)
Best for single mothers? Germany (HUGE benefits, only downside : not enough childcare centers). I would say if your child have less than 5 yo and you want to work, France could be better.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Work-life balance? France and Italy
Health care quality? Germany and France are good (don't know about Italy, but I assume it should be as well)
Friendliness of people? All nice
Ease to immigrate (for US citizens)? Quite hard everywhere in Europe
Ethnic diversity? France (big cities)
Quality of education? France and Germany from experience (I met enough Italian studying abroad to come to this conclusion, I don't know about secondary school tho)
Cost of living? Germany and Italy
Ease at being able to find a permanent job (we are in the engineering & IT fields)? Germany (even if it shouldn't be hard in both other countries either)
Best for single mothers? Germany (HUGE benefits, only downside : not enough childcare centers). I would say if your child have less than 5 yo and you want to work, France could be better.
Italian healthcare is the 2nd in the world after the French one.
Italian elementary schools (for children 6-10 years old) are among the best in the world, then the quality lowers though it remains on line with other countries.
I don't know whether Italian schools are as good as German and French ones, probably in Northern Italy they are.
As for cost of living, it depends: Southern Italy is fairly cheaper than most of Europe but Northern Italy is among the most expensive place in Europe.
I'd say that, considering the wages, Germany is best followed by France.
In welfare Germany and France beat Italy in terms of light years, hands down.
For IT field no doubt that Germany and France are the best (although Italy has good schools, especially for engineering).
As for single mothers, no doubt that Italy is worse than both other countries.
Given these premises, I don't really know which country I'd choose: both are extremely well handled and good for living, maybe I have a slight preference for Germany if I could live in a nice city.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
It's between France and Italy.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 PM

20 posts, read 59,530 times
Work-life balance? GERMANY,FRANCE,ITALY
Health care quality? can't really say..Italy ranked 6th in a survey about best health system in the world,we have for sure some excellences but the situation it's not so good in the whole country.
Friendliness of people? ITALY,GERMANY, FRANCE
Ease to immigrate (for US citizens)?probably the same
Ethnic diversity?ITALY(we don't have a huge community as turkish in germany, but really lots of people coming from everywhere) GERMANY, FRANCE
Quality of education? GERMANY,FRANCE,ITALY
Cost of living? GERMANY,ITALY,FRANCE
Ease at being able to find a permanent job (we are in the engineering & IT fields)? GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY
Best for single mothers?can't really say

Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
Germany
Italy
France

Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 AM

233 posts, read 333,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Germany
Italy
France
This

Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Work-life balance? France
Health care quality? France
Friendliness of people? Italy
Ease to immigrate (for US citizens)? UNK
Ethnic diversity? France
Quality of education? France
Cost of living? Italy
Ease at being able to find a permanent job (we are in the engineering & IT fields)? Germany
Best for single mothers? France
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe