Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is there alot of Roma people in the United States?
Not Irish travelers but Roma.
There have been for generations. But they tend to have jobs these days, and live in houses, like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Also, is the mirage of living abroad, Roma, as all people living in Romania, have been forbidden travelling outside during communism and developed an obsession with this.
Well, to answer my own question, it's much more lucrative in Romania for them to work as musicians, those who have learned to play an instrument.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is there alot of Roma people in the United States?
Not Irish travelers but Roma.
There are about 1 million Roma around the US.

Quote:
Roma in the United States number approximately one million.[1] U.S. cities with the most Romani are Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, and Portland, Oregon.[2]
In the U.S. the Roma or Romani are commonly known as Gypsies. Despite significant discrimination in the U.S.,[3] their social and economic position in the country is generally more favorable than in Europe, with many owning successful family-run businesses.Americans are largely unaware that there is a Roma ethnic group in the United States, associating "gypsies" with Europe. Most Roma do not communicate their ethnic identity to non-Roma, and may claim to be another ethnic origin, such as Greek or Lebanese.[1] The U.S. Census does not count Roma as a group, since it is neither a nationality nor a religion.
Roma in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Europeans in general seem more passive than Americans. I was sort of wondering a little of the same thing. I know in the US you had better not get closer than 10 feet of someone at a cash machine.

As far as dealing with it; don't know how much of the documentary you watched but in Spain's case the laws don't seem to be written with minors in mind. They don't seem to have a juvenile code like we do. The children were released back to the very adults in many cases who put them up to it. Here at the very least the adults would be held responsible and depending on the severity of the crime, the children would be held in a juvenile detention center. This just simply didn't seem to exist in Spain from what I gathered.
You gathered wrong. there is indeed a juvenile copde in Spain, but only minors over a certain age can be sent to detrention centers, basically teenagers as opposed to actual children. That's why gypsies use young children.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
You gathered wrong. there is indeed a juvenile copde in Spain, but only minors over a certain age can be sent to detrention centers, basically teenagers as opposed to actual children. That's why gypsies use young children.
Gotcha

Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
I am going to spain dont terrify me.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I think much of the separation and poverty is self-inflicted. The more I look at this culture, the more it appears as almost a pyramid scheme (or organized crime) where women and children are abused at the benefit of the dominant males.Their abusive treatment of locals furthers the schism between gypsies and the local populace.
The nomenclature is a bit confusing. Roma is not universally accepted by gypsies as a designation. There are a variety of terms for what we call Gypsies, and in the past Roma were the largest part of the population. That specific name has now been applied to the entire group, and it tends to obscure some significant differences. However, among themselves they recognize different groups, i.e. Roma, Kale, Calo, Manush, etc.

I have lived in Portugal for a number of years, and this country has its own resident population of gypsies. From what I have read, about half of them are settled and pursue occupations that a settled life allows; whereas, the remainder are still migratory. Formerly they identified themselves as Calo (which may be a varient of Kale), but now I think they say Romani - never Roma.

My town has a small resident resident population of gypsies. They run and monthly market, the "gypsy" market and they also raise some produce, which they sell on the streets, and they raise horses. They have rather rigid dress codes and strict codes about mourning, etc. They are easily identified on the street, and they remind me sometimes of the ultra-orthodox Jews when I see a family group on the street (the old men are bearded and on formal occasions dress in black suits and wear wide-brimmed hats, the women wear skirts to the ground and do not show cleavage or bare shoulders.) Some of the very old women carry huge bundles of purchases home balanced on their heads...one wispe of a little old lady I see absolutely amazes me with the size of the bundles she carries this way.

Periodically members of the migratory part of the population come through town, they travel in large , almost square, open wagons...not the type that we are used to from cartoons or films or modern trailer caravans. Their pots and pans are hung from their wagons sometimes, and their other possessions are in large cloth-wrapped bundles that fill the wagons, and which they sit on. The wagons have not arrangement for overhead protection. These people trade horses, tell fortunes, play street music and steal a bit.

They are have traditionally, I understand, never identified themselves as "Roma," though they do use other terms. To them the Roma are particular groups of gypsies living elsewhere (e.g. Romania.)

In the summer you can see the Romanian gypsies begging, playing music and stealing on the streets of Lisbon...and in our town, which draws many tourists. Young girls, carrying infants, roam through the street cafes and the streets, literally whining, and begging. Local Portuguese ignore them. And I have learned to put up a flat hand (like a cop), and say "I have nothing for you." They never wheedle or hassle that firm a turn-down.

The Roma street musicians do not appear to be part of the influx of begging Roma, they come singly or as brother teams. Their music, on the whole, if much better than the awful British buskers who play in the street. I have known a professional street musician for years, and he says that the Roma musicians, by and large, fit into the fraternity of street entertainers. And it is his impression too, that they keep a distance from their begging compatriots.

The local Portuguese gypsies keep the Roma at arms length. I have seen resident local gypsies turn their backs when a group of Roma pass, or give them hostile looks far more the Portuguese do. I suspect that they resent the fact that many people tar them with the same brush as they do the Romanian Roma who descend each summer.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I am going to spain dont terrify me.

Owen, did you make it to Spain yet?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 115,788 times
Caught red-handed

Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM

25 posts, read 115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I finally watched the whole documentary. That's just crazy. I never knew that was going on. I wondered what Europe had against the Roma-Gypsies but wow. That's all I can say. Puts the whole illegal immigrant thing in a whole new light for us Americans. At least ours look for work when they get here.

They are not illegal since they are Romanian...They are indeed a big problem, along with other groups such as North Africans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe