Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post

Europe is a succesor of the Empire of Carolus Magnus, which included modern France, Germany and Austria and some parts of Italy.
Finally someone who understands Europe, thanks Muscovite. Basically the forefathers of Europe are Attila and Charlemagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post

... we know that EU is a Christian union ...
Really? Have you been sleeping for the last two hundred years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post
... as a generally Muslim living country we are aware that we will never be a member of EU.
Turkey will become part of the EU if and when it is convenient to the political economy of all parties involved, then the cultural propaganda will conveniently change colors to accommodate it ... poof ... as if by magic.

Been working that way, then more slowly, then more quickly, for some 5,000 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM

595 posts, read 719,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
I think, Europe must stop now. Maybe European Union should let Serbia to become its member, because after it was bombed by NATO, I believe that European Union has responsibility for its future, and should let the younger generation that do not remember the war or just want to make business in Europe, to join.

But Turkey has more logical connections with Middle-Eastern countries and with Azerbaijan.

And indeed maybe even Greece should not have became a member of Eurozone in the past (which is not the same as EU).

Europe is a succesor of the Empire of Carolus Magnus, which included modern France, Germany and Austria and some parts of Italy.

Britain and Spain (though, Spain has complex history) are also the parts of Western Europe.

Central European countries (Czech Republic and Poland) was able to fit. Baltic countires is small and it was natural for them to enter the EU (but still they have economical connections with Russia (Lithuanian and Latvian food can still be found in Russian supermarkets).

But Turkey - a country with absolutely different culture, yes, ancient, yes, we can respect it, but it is different. And it is not a small Baltic country, it is a big country with large population and lots of young people.
Really good points, but I would reduce Europe more than you. For me, the UE should be the first countries that joined it, as you said, the succesor of Carolus Magnus empire.

Britain and Spain (and Portugal) are geographically part of Western Europe, but culturally and historically no. I think that the fact of being peripheral countries has made ​them grow away from European core, and many of their inhabitants see the EU as something remote and alien to them. Most of their history, those countries have been more interested in other continents than in Europe.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,077,869 times
Really? Have you been sleeping for the last two hundred years?

Are you mad or something?I dont get what ur talking about we are not europeaner so we dont have to know the history of christian union of Europe.what I meant u EU is a chirstian union so as a muslim Turkey will never be accepted by you. Believe or not this is the truth

Turkey will become part of the EU if and when it is convenient to the political economy of all parties involved, then the cultural propaganda will conveniently change colors to accommodate it ... poof ... as if by magic.

Been working that way, then more slowly, then more quickly, for some 5,000 years now

Turkey will never be part of EU.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 43,934 times
There will be no EU in near future so you will not be able to ask that question again

Greece in a big economical crisis,Also Spain is same no jobs there,It's not going well in Portugal and there will be an economical crisis in Italy aswell,Eastern Europe is still not devolopt and poor,there is only 3 big and strong countries in EU, Germany,UK and France and Uk wants to leave EU now.

And now There is a big Turkiye devoloping and economically growing so fast despite a crazy president.Atleast you can easly find a job if you have a degree in Turkey which is almost impossible in many europen countries now.And if you have a univercity degree salaries would be much better than in many eu countries.

The only problem with Turkey is there is no freedoom of speech.Accuatly there is a freedoom of speech but you can't talk against to goverment.It's almost impossible.And still there are a lot of uneducated people from east of Turkey.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Really good points, but I would reduce Europe more than you. For me, the UE should be the first countries that joined it, as you said, the succesor of Carolus Magnus empire.

Britain and Spain (and Portugal) are geographically part of Western Europe, but culturally and historically no.
All this talk about Britain "not being part of Europe" is really news to me, and particularly in the context of "culturally." What English ( British, whatever you call it) classical literature is, but European?
I don't care how many colonies they've had and where, Britons definitely come across as Europeans, whether they like it or not.

P.S. Mac15/Owen dear, whoever you are, I really can live without your thoughtful input on this matter.

Last edited by erasure; 10-22-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

45 posts, read 75,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
wiki shows that 99% of the people of Turkey ascribe to Islam.

Islam is not a European religion so no thanks!
I didn't know Europe had a religion. Does it go to church on Sundays too whilst banging the neighbor on Sat night?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
All this talk about Britain "not being part of Europe" is really news to me, and particularly in the context of "culturally." What English ( British, whatever you call it) classical literature is, but European?
I don't care how many colonies they've had and where, Britons definitely come across as Europeans, whether they like it or not.

P.S. Mac15/Owen dear, whoever you are, I really can live without your thoughtful input on this matter.
These people are going mad! U.K. is an INTEGRAL part of the E.U. get off that stuff you're smoking. The Brits may be more European than the Greeks if that's what you want to look at.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM

124 posts, read 122,785 times
No they should not. Turkey is 99% Muslim + they deny the Armenian genocide

Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
No they should not. Turkey is 99% Muslim + they deny the Armenian genocide
Europe is not CHRISTIAN! Europeans have moved on from that non-sense 100 years ago and passed it on to Americans and some Britons alongside the Irish.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotique View Post
Europe is not CHRISTIAN! Europeans have moved on from that non-sense 100 years ago and passed it on to Americans and some Britons alongside the Irish.
European cultures are based on Christian culture, even if Europeans have not interest to go to churches nowadays. And America is not Christian?
It's my turn to ask you what are you smoking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe