Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Let's see. Which country could we invade? I'm not so fond of Borschtsch. But Belgian Chocolate and Beer is heavenly delicious. Belgium first?
Let's do Denmark first. Poor weather, but we could have use of a port in the Atlantic. Then Belgium, some cheap trappist beer would be nice. But let's not invite Italy with us this time, shall we?

But wait, Italy actually helped Finland the last time. Ok, take them in. The old gang once again on the road. I've already invited Hungary and Romania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM

270 posts, read 592,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Cool, could you bring back some fries with a selection of sauces and maybe some of those round sugary waffels from the supermarkt.
Supermarkt?! Tstststststs. I'll bring you the good ones from Antwerp or Leuk. With whipped cream and cherries.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

270 posts, read 592,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Let's do Denmark first. Poor weather, but we could have use of a port in the Atlantic. Then Belgium, some cheap trappist beer would be nice. But let's not invite Italy with us this time, shall we?

But wait, Italy actually helped Finland the last time. Ok, take them in. The old gang once again on the road. I've already invited Hungary and Romania.
I'm glad that at least one of us thinks strategic. I'm ok with Italy if they bring some Barolo and fresh made Pasta. Hungary and Romania could invade South East Europe so we can stay up North. Good idea!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Funnily, as much as I 'm interested the history of big conquerors from Alexander the Great to...Hitler (!!!)and have a deep interest in reading history books about wars, I have an awful memory of my year serving in the military (conscript,so coerced in it, not enlisted), I'm not interested the least in militaria , tried paintball once and -let's say wargames are not my thing, even virtual-.
Same with me, even paintball requires you to aim and shoot at people, which isn't a good thing to do psychologically speaking

Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
Same with me, even paintball requires you to aim and shoot at people, which isn't a good thing to do psychologically speaking
My son however is a Paintball nut! (lol)

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

21 posts, read 23,429 times
Who resents Germans?
Keeskops?
No one else.
Germans are oversensitive.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My mother still hasn't forgiven them for trying to kill her in WW2.
I understand this. I had some Jewish teachers who made my and my sister's early education very humiliating because of our German surname. This was 30 years after the end of the war.

On the other hand, I had some wonderful Jewish teachers as well. That taught me you can't generalize about someone's character by their ethnicity.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
On the opposite of these (I'm sorry to say so, stupid and unforgiving) Jewish teachers, my grandfather on my mother's side , who was a French officer in both WW, had as best friend a former German officer of the Wehrmacht(after second WWII,of course) , spoke German fluently (in fact he gave me the taste for the German language) and believed any ideas of retaliation and revenge was offensive.
He had been a first hand witness of the suffering induced by war. He knew better.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,549 times
Pigeon

I attended an American University as a foreign student from Spain, and I had Jewish Teachers that were always mentioning the Spanish Inquisition, as if the Inquisition was something that happened yesterday, not 400 years ago. They were always mentioning the Great Inquisitor Torquemada and one of them went into rage because I told him that Torquemada was a Jewish convert, as most inquisitors. One of them was sectarian as hell, he only gave A's to Jewish students..but the best and fairer teachers were also Jews.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 13,990 times
I think there is quite a lot of anti-German sentiment in Greece, but this is because Germany is a successful country while Greece is a basket case.
It is all too easy to countries like Greece to blame Germany for their problems, when they largely brought the current financial situation on themselves.
I am from the UK and I respect the way Germany has built a very strong export-based economy. It should serve as an inspiration for other European countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe