Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
So if your parents could move to the US, why didn't the rest of your family?
Because he was an engineer and was offered a job in the U.S. and eventually green card.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Yes

How does it feel like living in a gloomy country where drugs and prostitution is legal and seen everywhere? Cannot believe drugs are sold like coffees in Holland

Amsterdam had barely any cars.... Lots of bikes everywhere
If you have lived in Amsterdam then you should know that riding a bike is part of its charm and a very healthy way to get around less pollution.
Are you saying they don't have drugs in America ????

Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Methinks OneLess is just trying to wind people up???

Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
If you have lived in Amsterdam then you should know that riding a bike is part of its charm and a very healthy way to get around less pollution.
It's possible he simply mistook our roads for bike lanes. You know how narrow those European roads are.

Quote:
Are you saying they don't have drugs in America ????
It would seem that way by the hordes of American tourists who flock to Amsterdam just to smoke pot. But no, drug abuse is actually much higher in the US than anywhere in Europe. (I wonder how many Americans are going to fact-check this ).

Old 04-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Methinks OneLess is just trying to wind people up???
He hates The Netherlands because he's jealous of our freedom, isn't it obvious?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,915 times
Quote:
He hates The Netherlands because he's jealous of our freedom, isn't it obvious?
I never said I hate the Netherlands. I said I do not like or want to live there or anywhere in Europe of the reasons I gave on first page. I do not like however that prostitution and drugs are legal and everywhere.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
I never said I hate the Netherlands.
I know. I was mocking people of a certain nationality that tend to come up with the "they hate us 'cause they're jealous!" argument

Quote:
I said I do not like or want to live there or anywhere in Europe of the reasons I gave on first page. I do not like however that prostitution and drugs are legal and everywhere.
You have either never been to The Netherlands at all or you never left Amsterdam. Prostitution and drugs are definitely not everywhere. I grew up in the east and the first time I ever saw a prostitute is when I was 15, on a school trip to Amsterdam. Very few people use drugs (far less than in the US, check statistics) and coffeeshops are relatively rare outside of the major cities. You can find drugs and prostitutes on practically every street corner of the major cities in the US too, whether it's legal or not.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
You can find drugs and prostitutes on practically every street corner of the major cities in the US too, whether it's legal or not.
This is patently untrue, LindavG. One would be forgiven for wondering how often, for how long, and to which corners of the US travels have taken you to make a statement as ill-informed as this.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
This is patently untrue, LindavG. One would be forgiven for wondering how often, for how long, and to which corners of the US travels have taken you to make a statement as ill-informed as this.
It was meant to be hyperbolic. I guess I should use an emoticon every time I make a non-literal statement, lol. In case you're wondering, about 90% of the posts I made in this thread are not to be taken literally

Last edited by LindavG; 04-28-2013 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
It was meant to be hyperbolic. I guess I should use an emoticon every time I make a non-literal statement, lol. In case you're wondering, about 90% of the posts I made in this thread are not to be taken literally
Ah, gotcha. Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding. Between the trolling and the ignorance of other posters, it's hard to discern with 100% accuracy the voice of each individual poster and what s/he is trying to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe