Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
umm no....we have better quality of life, better economy, better jobs, more diverse, better landscape, better universities, better education, better gdp....shall i go on?
Keep dreaming in your bubble. Better healthcare? Better universities? Better jobs? Apparently you've never had to live life in America as a hourly wage earner without healthcare insurance and the inability to afford Yale or Harvard. Apparently you prefer genetically modified franken foods without flavor or, can afford to buy foods that aren't actually produced or grown in this country. If that's good for you, and are rich, have at it. Wrap your gead in an American flag and keep thinking that America is perfect and infalliable.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Apparently you haven't spent much time in Italy orknow anything about the culture. Of course, why should I be surprised. Typical American who defines "quality of life" by the number of empty rooms they have in a house in soulless suburb and thinks "food" is served at McDonalds.
lol! Pretty funny! Also notice that the OP seems to be under the illusion that the US is full of high-paying jobs and has an "excellent" economy.

I wonder if Italians go bankrupt to pay health care expenses, even if they have insurance? I wonder if elderly pensioners are ever found frozen to death in their homes in winter, because they couldn't afford to pay for heat?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, Romania sure has changed since I was there! It used to be that only elderly people went to church. No one talked about God or anything related to religion. It just wasn't on people's radar. Even though some very reliable sources have posted similar things about Romania here, I still would have to go back and see it with my own eyes in order to believe it.
Just because a person does not go to church does not mean they are not Christian, religious, or believe in God.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Keep dreaming in your bubble. Better healthcare? Better universities? Better jobs? Apparently you've never had to live life in America as a hourly wage earner without healthcare insurance and the inability to afford Yale or Harvard. Apparently you prefer genetically modified franken foods without flavor or, can afford to buy foods that aren't actually produced or grown in this country. If that's good for you, and are rich, have at it. Wrap your gead in an American flag and keep thinking that America is perfect and infalliable.
How about you get education, get a degree and start earning normal living wage?

Heard of WholeFoods and Trader Joe's? Healthy organic food.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
I'll take Italy over the US any day. People don't need McMansions to be happy and the food isn't poisonous. Get me out of the US ASAP.
If the food here is poisonous, how am i not dead by now?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Just because a person does not go to church does not mean they are not Christian, religious, or believe in God.
Those things never came up in private conversation, either. It was a secular society. Like much of the West Coast of the US.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those things never came up in private conversation, either. It was a secular society. Like much of the West Coast of the US.
Only small parts of the west coast like the pacific NW are slightly less religious than rest of America.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have lived in the US and love many things about it but so many things would also put me off from moving there.

Such as lack of Universal Healthcare, the religious nutters who seem to be quite prevalent in so many places, the gun advocates who think not being able to own guns without serious checks is somehow an infringement on their "freedom", lack of social net, an attitude towards the poor which I often find really offensive, the circus nature of the political system, the prevalence of lobbyists ( bad enough in Europe but in the US actually an issue which is inescapable) and lack of paid vacation, maternity leave etc...

Worker's rights are appalling, "employment at will" to me is pure evil. I do not see workers ( white collars or blue collars, bottom or top of the pile) as commodities but as essential cogs in a machinery where everyone has a role to play.

Some American friends of mine actually get generous amounts of paid vacation only to be too scared to take them because who knows , the boss might realise they are expandable whilst they are away...

Also nobody who has a pre-existing condition should IMO ever be opted out of the medical system for example.That to me is the sign of a venal and perverted society.

America has indeed freedom of speech which usually means people can be as racist and offensive as they want to be. But the idea that someone might not stand up and sing the pledge of allegiance, salute the flag or dare to impune their country in any way shape or form is deemed a form of treason and "unpatriotic". Freedom of speech except for some things which will probably make you ostracised from your community and reviled as a "commie" or "hippie"....

A Presidential candidate has to make a show of "religiosity" and has to wear a little US flag or is necessarily seen as somehow a sup-par human being and not fit for public life because as we know there is no better way than flying a flag and parading your patriotism to make yourself a true patriot... As long as you look and sound like a patriot then you must have the best interest of your country at heart right ? Those who are the loudest obviously win some kind of big prize there....

I also find the obsession people have with not paying taxes is a little bizarre especially when you see so often how the infrastructure is crumbling and social inequality is so bad. Nobody "likes" to pay taxes but I don't mind personally. As long as I feel the government is doing something for it then I see it as a necessary evil. I don't mind paying taxes so people who are less privileged than me can still be get hospital treatment or are not abandoned totally socially.

America is a great place. But the "best" ? Hell no. It has tons of positives and tons of negative. Strange that but it's a little like everywhere else.... I wonder why.
Very well said, and I agree with so many points. I've actually had ushers try to insist I put my hand over my heart during the nationalk anthem. There is a bizarre very superficial patriotism here, almost blind patriotism that I find dangerous.

As for the taxes, I see your point, but all of the taxes in the world would still not go toward improving our crumbling infrastructure. That's the problem, corporate infiltration of our government has destroyed our priorities.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:30 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
*Lack of country music festivals compared to U.S
Is this supposed to be a positive or a negative about living in the US!!! In my opinion its definately a negative! The words 'country music festival' sends shivers down my spine! Please elaborate! :-D

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Mexico is Spanish speaking, Canada is completely French in Quebec and rest of the country is bilingual.
So what?
stop..please just stop

so many inaccuracies with your posts, Canadians and the UK are not flag crazy like the US, like the europeans we also think its a bit much to have flags everywhere. Canada is not completely french in Quebec, Montreal and the areas around it are somewhat bilingual and the rest of the country is NOT bilingual. In almost all provinces outside of Quebec and parts of New Brunswick and areas in Ontario near the Quebec border, French is non-existant and most english canadians outside of those areas I mentioned know as much French as the average American which is very little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe