Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
* Very high taxes
* Basically everything is more expensive
* Confusing road system and signs
* Less demographic diversity (but too high Islamic immigration)
* Less freedom
* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S./Canada
* Close to the Middle East (generally bad region)
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Too many national languages
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
* Having own individual car is relatively uncommon
* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
I agree with these (bold),

Plus i'm more comfortable and used to the USA and the culture.
Vacations to Europe would be awesome though.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
After 13 years I have no desire to ever live in the USA again. Nothing really against the US, there are things I miss but I perfer living in Europe. I could live in pretty much any European country happily as long as I could support myself there.
Same here. I've been in Scotland for 13 years and would never, ever move back to the US.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)

Feel free to add
I'm sure a 300 pound American could easily find a way to keep their weight stable over here, despite not being served the typically massive portions of food served in the US.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM

112 posts, read 353,694 times
Quote:
* Very high taxes
* Less freedom
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
So Americans dislike Europe because its not like...America?
Being self critical and modest certainly does not seem to be an American value...
You just have to expect that everything will be done YOUR WAY and that the red carpet is to be rolled out.

My God you will have lots of changing of mentality to do...As who knows how influential the USA will be by 2050 considering current trends.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
After 13 years I have no desire to ever live in the USA again. Nothing really against the US, there are things I miss but I perfer living in Europe. I could live in pretty much any European country happily as long as I could support myself there.
Ditto, thirteen years. But I've never missed anything about the U.S....no foods or products, etc., and I never think about the U.S. except as news. I've lived in a great small town, a medium size city and one of the biggest American metropolitan area. I guess I must have "had it all," there in my own way, as I made a totally painless transition to living in Europe.

Zero desire to go back. Went back for a five-week visit once, and was sooooooooo happy to get back home to Europe.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
So Americans dislike Europe because its not like...America?
Being self critical and modest certainly does not seem to be an American value...
You just have to expect that everything will be done YOUR WAY and that the red carpet is to be rolled out.

My God you will have lots of changing of mentality to do...As who knows how influential the USA will be by 2050 considering current trends.
Dang don't take it so personally, Reasons why North Americans do not want to live in Europe

Just cause you don't want to live somewhere doesnt mean you hate it.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
I'm an American married to a European & I love Europe, you just cannot compare. Both have good & bad things. The USA is a country & Europe is a CONTINENT, so this topic should have been more specific. Just my opinion. & my hubby & I are planning to move to his country in EUROPE to raise our children there, so not ALL North Americans don't want to live in Europe.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
It's a matter of perspective. Europeans (and other non-Americans) would say everything in the US is way oversized.

Quote:

It depends on the country. Some European countries have a lower (youth) unemployment rate than the US, some higher.

Quote:
* Very high taxes
Only for very high incomes, and the reason taxes are higher is because they are used to subsidise things like education and health care (which are much cheaper than in the US).

Quote:
Fair enough.

Quote:
Confusing to whom? It's just what you're used to.

Quote:
This differs not only by country, but also by region and city. Most major cities in Western Europe have a non-native population of over 50%. Anyway, Europe as a continent offers much more demographic diversity than the US. It takes me less than 15 minutes to cross the border into French-speaking territory (Wallonia, Belgium) or German-speaking territory (Germany) from where I live.

Quote:
* Less freedom
Patently false. I can't believe how many Americans still buy this.

Quote:
I see this as a huge plus

Quote:
In Europe, the suburbs are the less desirable part of the city. This is where the poorer people live who can't afford a place in the inner city.

Quote:

Quote:
Who needs a desert climate anyway? There is enormous climate and landscape diversity within Europe, especially considering its size.

Quote:
First you lament the lack of demographic diversity and now you say there are too many languages? I love the linguistic diversity of Europe, it's part of what makes it so interesting. I'd hate if we all spoke the same generic language.

Quote:
We have less shopping malls but plenty of charming shopping streets and markets in the inner cities.

Quote:
And that's a bad thing?

Quote:
We'll catch up as soon as we've discovered how to pave the roads

Quote:
I can assure you that central heating is not considered a luxury in most of Europe. And we don't need central air conditioning where I live, lol.

Quote:
* Everything is too old
Another thing I love about Europe

Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Dang don't take it so personally, Reasons why North Americans do not want to live in Europe

Just cause you don't want to live somewhere doesnt mean you hate it.
Oh please, if a European had opened such a thread about the US you'd be the first person to whine about how "everyone hates the US"

Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
Here's some reasons why THIS North American very much wants to move to Europe:
Better food (less processed garbage)
Amazing history
More electronic music, less country music
Better women
Much better social connections
Far less violent police
Better booze
Far less religion
Much more variety of culture accessible with less travel
Real coffee
cool cars with manual transmissions
much better drivers (except eastern europe and italy)
real social services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe