Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
What is with your obsession with skyscrapers Oneless? They're ugly!

I'd much rather visit Prague than Las Vegas (even though I would like to visit Las Vegas. Prague is just higher on my priority list)

Hah the top of that church looks weird Ariete, never seen that.
I am not so fascinated with skyscrapers either. Anyway, America, Asia and the middle east (Dubai ) have those so Europe doesn't need to have skysrapers any more, otherwise Europe will just be the same as those that I mentioned. Those that have skyskrapers do not have Castles and Palaces so Europe is more unique.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Cathedrals in USA...

These cathedrals are awesome. But these were also built by Europeans for sure.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I am not so fascinated with skyscrapers either. Anyway, America, Asia and the middle east (Dubai ) have those so Europe doesn't need to have skysrapers any more, otherwise Europe will just be the same as those that I mentioned. Those that have skyskrapers do not have Castles and Palaces so Europe is more unique.
Not all North American cities have skyscrapers. Washington D.C. and Quebec City as two examples.
Skyscrapers, as well as castles and palaces are facinating.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
These cathedrals are awesome. But these were also built by Europeans for sure.
Yes, and so what? Majority of Americans are from European descent. There are no real Americans unless you are Native American (Indian - not from India). Millions of Europeans emigrated to USA for better life and opportunity and to escape extreme poverty, suppression and wars in their home countries. Don't forget history.

Last edited by OneLess; 05-04-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, and so what? Majority of Americans are from European descent. There are no real Americans unless you are Native American (Indian - not from India). Millions of Europeans emigrated to Europe for better life and opportunity and to escape extreme poverty, suppression and wars in their home countries. Don't forget history.
I know that... That's what I was saying that these cathedrals were built by Europeans, when it comes to Architectural designs , Europeans top the spot.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
http://media.photobucket.com/user/bo...g.html?filters[term]=Kizhi&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=8
Historic cathedrals in Russia.
Ruth I'm sorry - the link doesn't work.
But whatever it is, I'm sure it looks impressive.
Russia is an empire, and that's what empires do - they build stuff to impress)))

Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Not all North American cities have skyscrapers. Washington D.C. and Quebec City as two examples.
Skyscrapers, as well as castles and palaces are facinating.

Washington DC was designed by the French architect.

My guess is that Quebec was built by the French too..

Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

What does this have to do with anything?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Yes Washington was built by a French man .

Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, some say Helsinki is like a miniature Saint Petersburg. No wonder, as same architects roamed in both cities. Mostly German, so blame them. Sometimes I love the aesthetics and the sheer size of the cathedral, some other days I hate it as it dominates the landscape so much, and the main tower looks like a giant penis reaching for the skies. But at least the Cathedral and the Kallio Church (seen in the previous post) are easy landmarks to tourists navigating for their hotel. Like in this picture where both can be seen from a long distance:
I do see a lot of similarities, but Helsinki looks more "northern" to me. St. Petersburg was originally designed by an Italian architect, so you feel more presence of a "South" there with that unique style of "Russian baroque" and all. Plus this cathedral looks as Italian as it gets I guess...

Quote:
As a sidenote, no building built today is allowed to supercede the height of the cathedral within a large range, and the guidelines for city planning are from 1898 I think. And no attempts to change that city plan are in sight. So that building will remain as the ultimate landmark of Central Helsinki for a long time.
Yeah, same in St. Petersburg; nothing can be taller than Russian Navy Headquarters (Admiralteistvo)

Some time ago putinists decided to build so-called Gazprom tower, a sky-scraper; this is how the monstrosity would look like;

There was a public outcry, but putinists didn't care, until UNESCO came and said; %$#*&%#@&***

Only after that the vermin left the city alone, it was saved from destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe