Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I was only deeply frustrated when one of the European boosters said USA had a higher unemployment rate than most European countries which i proved him wrong and he still denied it.
Unemployment is not easy to compare as almost every country uses a different definition, which plays a role for instance when two countries being compared have different age pyramids. Then there are things like part-time, internships with and without pay, precarious jobs of the lowest type that are not considered employment everywhere, state-sponsored employment initiatives and programs, etc.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Unemployment is not easy to compare as almost every country uses a different definition, which plays a role for instance when two countries being compared have different age pyramids. Then there are things like part-time, internships with and without pay, precarious jobs of the lowest type that are not considered employment everywhere, state-sponsored employment initiatives and programs, etc.
True. But there all nearly the same.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I am an American, bred and born. To add to that, I am a Texan as well. I love living in Texas and I love the United States as well, with all it's diversity, natural beauty, interesting cities, varied cuisines and cultures, history, etc. Before you say "Europe has all that AND a bag of chips!" I'll tell you - I know that. I've lived in and traveled throughout Europe - and I like many things about every place I went. In fact, I visit Europe every couple of years because I like it so much.

But I much prefer living in the US, and in Texas specifically. Our local economy is strong and has been for decades. Our cost of living is low. Because of that, my husband and I can afford to live in a spacious, very comfortable home with a rolling expanse of beautiful green lawn, gardens, etc. This is not at all unusual in our area. Because our economy is strong, we have a pleasant lifestyle that allows us to travel and enjoy experiencing other cultures, but it's always great to come home to our beautiful state and the home we love.

We have large metro areas close by, which offer plenty of international flair if we want to experience that on a weekend. We can travel all over the US and experience a wide range of cultures, but all in English - which is convenient. We have good roads throughout the US and Texas, which makes travel easy.

I appreciate the differences in Europe - the different languages and customs, the depth of history that's interesting to me, the architecture, etc. which is why we visit often. But I prefer to live in the US in general, and Texas in particular. It's a state of mind that I find refreshing, comfortable, familiar and friendly.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am an American, bred and born. To add to that, I am a Texan as well. I love living in Texas and I love the United States as well, with all it's diversity, natural beauty, interesting cities, varied cuisines and cultures, history, etc. Before you say "Europe has all that AND a bag of chips!" I'll tell you - I know that. I've lived in and traveled throughout Europe - and I like many things about every place I went. In fact, I visit Europe every couple of years because I like it so much.

But I much prefer living in the US, and in Texas specifically. Our local economy is strong and has been for decades. Our cost of living is low. Because of that, my husband and I can afford to live in a spacious, very comfortable home with a rolling expanse of beautiful green lawn, gardens, etc. This is not at all unusual in our area. Because our economy is strong, we have a pleasant lifestyle that allows us to travel and enjoy experiencing other cultures, but it's always great to come home to our beautiful state and the home we love.

We have large metro areas close by, which offer plenty of international flair if we want to experience that on a weekend. We can travel all over the US and experience a wide range of cultures, but all in English - which is convenient. We have good roads throughout the US and Texas, which makes travel easy.

I appreciate the differences in Europe - the different languages and customs, the depth of history that's interesting to me, the architecture, etc. which is why we visit often. But I prefer to live in the US in general, and Texas in particular. It's a state of mind that I find refreshing, comfortable, familiar and friendly.
There are rumors Texas is thinking about making another autobahn as they have in germany.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
There are rumors Texas is thinking about making another autobahn as they have in germany.
Those rumors are unfounded. Texas has great roadways - and we have high speed limits (up to 80) on many of our highways already.

German autobahns are overrated anyway - I don't find them to be any better than Texas interstates. Contrary to popular belief, there ARE speed limits on many sections of German autobahns. We traveled by car through Germany a couple of years ago and though the roads are good - they're not Highway Utopia by any means. Lots of construction, lots of traffic (so even if there's no speed limit, you are still limited due to the congestion) - we spent a lot of time at a complete standstill on the autobahns in fact.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Those rumors are unfounded. Texas has great roadways - and we have high speed limits (up to 80) on many of our highways already.

German autobahns are overrated anyway - I don't find them to be any better than Texas interstates. Contrary to popular belief, there ARE speed limits on many sections of German autobahns. We traveled by car through Germany a couple of years ago and though the roads are good - they're not Highway Utopia by any means. Lots of construction, lots of traffic (so even if there's no speed limit, you are still limited due to the congestion) - we spent a lot of time at a complete standstill on the autobahns in fact.
Its actually 85, we have the second highest speed limit in the world, number 1 is poland and of course the autobahn only has a recommended speed limit.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
I was only deeply frustrated when one of the European boosters said USA had a higher unemployment rate than most European countries which i proved him wrong and he still denied it.
Most people here are not "European boosters" or "American boosters", we're just trying to have a rational discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of both places. I don't see it as my mission to "defend" Europe at all cost but when I come across misconceptions such as the ones in the OP, I try to correct them, that's all.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Most people here are not "European boosters" or "American boosters", we're just trying to have a rational discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of both places. I don't see it as my mission to "defend" Europe at all cost but when I come across misconceptions such as the ones in the OP, I try to correct them, that's all.
thats fine, you can call it whatever you want.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
so you said i was immature then i come back on here and your sticking your tongue out at me.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Its actually 85, we have the second highest speed limit in the world, number 1 is poland and of course the autobahn only has a recommended speed limit.
You're right - I forgot that Texas recently increased the speed limits in some areas to 85!

But actually, there are some speed limits (not just recommendations) on German autobahns. Some types of vehicles have an automatic speed limit, and there are also areas that do have absolute speed LIMITS in place as well - sometimes all the time, and sometimes during just busy times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe