Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,113 times

Advertisements

* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
* Very high taxes
* Basically everything is more expensive
* Confusing road system and signs
* Less demographic diversity (but too high Islamic immigration)
* Less freedom
* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S./Canada
* Close to the Middle East (generally bad region)
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Too many national languages
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
* Having own individual car is relatively uncommon
* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I heard they don't even have P.F. Changs over there!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* Very high taxes
* Less freedom
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
Everything is old ? Of course because Europe is older than America.
No skyscrapers ? If there are, it will ruin the beauty of Europe. It will not match the beautiful, romantic old architecture of Europe.
Less shopping stores ? H&M, Zara, Mango, Primark, Spanish owned boutiques are too many, Ikea... Stores in Europe are mostly outside ( which is what I like ) and not concentrated in malls.
Too many national languages ? That's what makes it interesting.

I do however agree that Europe unlike America and Canada do not have suburban areas and it would be nice if they have.
Yes, some places in Europe do not have Central Heating and Air Conditioning
Yes Mansions are not common

Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
The do not want list does not apply to me; but the cannot list does.

I disagree with the shopping, though the US has physically more, the clothing styles sold here are less than desirable for my wife; one thing we solve with a twice a year trip to Europe. It is fine those who are not looking for specific styles and just looking for low cost, which I wonder about because I do not find clothes more or less expensive at all than here in the US.

As for the list, I doubt many of those not wanting to live there would even know half of those listed reasons; just a simple "because it is a foreign country" suits them just fine as a reason.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Everything is old ? Of course because Europe is older than America.
No skyscrapers ? If there are, it will ruin the beauty of Europe. It will not match the beautiful, romantic old architecture of Europe.
Less shopping stores ? H&M, Zara, Mango, Primark, Spanish owned boutiques are too many, Ikea... Stores in Europe are mostly outside ( which is what I like ) and not concentrated in malls.
Too many national languages ? That's what makes it interesting.

I do however agree that Europe unlike America and Canada do not have suburban areas and it would be nice if they have.
Yes, some places in Europe do not have Central Heating and Air Conditioning
Yes Mansions are not common
How would having few skyscrapers ruin a beauty? You could have both old and new buildings (Montreal an example). Few cities like Frankfurt do have skyscrapers, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't ruin the beauty.

Europe does not have as many stores and options like the U.S.
In America there is something for the very poor to the very rich. Lots of stores and lots of options.
Europe does not have TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohl's as an example. Yes, H&M, Zara, etc. but not a cheap store that sell brand names.

Outside stores are common in cities and many downtown areas, as well as strip "malls" in America too.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
* Very high taxes
* Less freedom
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
Have you actually been to any countries in Europe? If so, which ones?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Well, a big reason is that it's fairly difficult to immigrate to Europe from N. America.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 PM

* No chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Olive Gardens, Friday's, etc. (besides American fast food chains like McDonald's and Burger King).

Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you actually been to any countries in Europe? If so, which ones?
Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, England, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, Malta, Spain, Monaco, Bulgaria, Belgium, the Netherlands and Poland.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
How would having few skyscrapers ruin a beauty? You could have both old and new buildings (Montreal an example). Few cities like Frankfurt do have skyscrapers, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't ruin the beauty.

Europe does not have as many stores and options like the U.S.
In America there is something for the very poor to the very rich. Lots of stores and lots of options.
Europe does not have TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohl's as an example. Yes, H&M, Zara, etc. but not a cheap store that sell brand names.

Outside stores are common in cities and many downtown areas, as well as strip "malls" in America too.
I love Europe as it is... Europe doesn't need Skyscraper buildings. Not having skyscrapers make Europe interesting, mysterious, nostalgic, posh and different .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe