Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To you they're hills, but they are mountain enough to suit me!

But then, I also prefer the Appalachians to the Rockies, and the Spessarts to the Alps.
Hey, it's called Texas Hill Country for a reason

Never been to the Rockies but I love the Sierras and Cascades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hey, it's called Texas Hill Country for a reason

Never been to the Rockies but I love the Sierras and Cascades.
Now, now - the photos I posted of Texas "mountains" were not in the Hill Country!

I've never been to the Cascades, but I am sure they are beautiful! I love mountain scenery.

But if I have to choose mountains or beach, I'll default to beach any time! That's my one complaint about living where I do in Texas. A good beach is at least a seven hour drive from me, and the best Texas beaches (South Padre) are a 9 hour drive. Dang!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The desert in Texas is part of The Chihuahuan Desert, which is the largest desert in North America. It's milder in temps than the Sonoran or Mojave, though -- perhaps why there is slightly more vegetation.

I think the Texas mountain ranges of the Chisos Mountains (Big Bend), Guadalupe Mountains, and Franklin Mountains are all part of this desert.
It may be the largest (I thought the Great Basin was) but most of it is outside of Texas. My point was that Texas has a varied landscape and should not be thought of as just one thing. I live in a dynamic state as well but most people only think of it as one or two things.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Now, now - the photos I posted of Texas "mountains" were not in the Hill Country!

I've never been to the Cascades, but I am sure they are beautiful! I love mountain scenery.

But if I have to choose mountains or beach, I'll default to beach any time! That's my one complaint about living where I do in Texas. A good beach is at least a seven hour drive from me, and the best Texas beaches (South Padre) are a 9 hour drive. Dang!
They're still hills

You bring up another great point; Texas also has many miles of beaches. Some very nice ones. In fact many people might prefer the Texas beaches to those in CA as the water in Texas is warm, not freezing like it is here.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Speaking as a native Texan who lived in various European nations...

I never met anyone who thought I was 'better' than the average American because I am from Texas. I think some of them thought I was more interesting, but that's not quite the same thing.

I got a lot of well-meaning but silly/ignorant questions. Most people were genuinely curious about Texas and it does seem to have a sort of mythic quality for some Europeans. I answered questions over and over like:

Did you ride a horse to school?
Did your home have indoor plumbing?
Do you have/did you grow up on a ranch?
Are there cows everywhere?
Do people wear cowboy hats?
Do people really put horns on their cars?
Is/was your family in the oil business?
What kind of food do you eat...chili and cornbread?
What's a taco?
Do people really carry guns all over the place?
Have you ever seen anyone get shot?
What's a rodeo?

Most people were friendly. Some were hostile, especially after George W. Bush became president. They associated Texas with him and assumed that most if not all Texans supported him. They were surprised when I told them I did not support Bush and had never voted for him in any election. Attitudes towards Americans in general and Texans in particular hardened across Europe after Bush was elected; it eased up after 9/11, but then got much worse after the start of the Iraq War. Poland was a notable exception; it seemed to me that most Poles genuinely liked Americans and were largely supportive of Bush.

YMMV.

I left Europe in 2007, so attitudes may have changed since then. Maybe they like us more now that there's a Democrat in the White House. It does seem that Europeans have more charitable attitudes towards us when there's a D POTUS.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Speaking as a native Texan who lived in various European nations...

I never met anyone who thought I was 'better' than the average American because I am from Texas. I think some of them thought I was more interesting, but that's not quite the same thing.

I got a lot of well-meaning but silly/ignorant questions. Most people were genuinely curious about Texas and it does seem to have a sort of mythic quality for some Europeans. I answered questions over and over like:

Did you ride a horse to school?
Did your home have indoor plumbing?
Do you have/did you grow up on a ranch?
Are there cows everywhere?
Do people wear cowboy hats?
Do people really put horns on their cars?
Is/was your family in the oil business?
What kind of food do you eat...chili and cornbread?
What's a taco?
Do people really carry guns all over the place?
Have you ever seen anyone get shot?
What's a rodeo?

Most people were friendly. Some were hostile, especially after George W. Bush became president. They associated Texas with him and assumed that most if not all Texans supported him. They were surprised when I told them I did not support Bush and had never voted for him in any election. Attitudes towards Americans in general and Texans in particular hardened across Europe after Bush was elected; it eased up after 9/11, but then got much worse after the start of the Iraq War. Poland was a notable exception; it seemed to me that most Poles genuinely liked Americans and were largely supportive of Bush.

YMMV.

I left Europe in 2007, so attitudes may have changed since then. Maybe they like us more now that there's a Democrat in the White House. It does seem that Europeans have more charitable attitudes towards us when there's a D POTUS.
It's the movies I tell ya. Miss Congeniality there are the lines; "The guy in the stetson. Agent answers, there are stetsons everywhere." Then; "Of course he has a gun this is Texas everyone has a gun. My florist has a gun". In the movie The New Guy, there were horses at the high school LOL

Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

YMMV.

You must have come across a lot of uneducated buffoons there. I'm not surprised. People over there can't seem to grasp the difference between the average person and a politician. But anyway.

Those who replied to my post, had no idea Texas had green hills/mountains like that. I always thought the mountains Texas did have were bare rock. And, no, I'm not one of those that thought Texas is a desert, that's only in the far west near New Mexico in the Big Bend area to El Paso.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You must have come across a lot of uneducated buffoons there. I'm not surprised. People over there can't seem to grasp the difference between the average person and a politician. But anyway.
It goes both way, trust me. In fact, I'd bet money there are many more here that are uneducated about Europe than vice-versa. For every 100 Europeans that can identify Texas on a map, there might be 1 American that could identify a state in a particular country in Europe... even a super well known or important one, like Bavaria or something.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
It goes both way, trust me. In fact, I'd bet money there are many more here that are uneducated about Europe than vice-versa. For every 100 Europeans that can identify Texas on a map, there might be 1 American that could identify a state in a particular country in Europe... even a super well known or important one, like Bavaria or something.
You just CAN'T be magnanimous, can you?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I can identify France, Belgium, Germany, Croatia and Bosnia by shape alone. Of course I'm leaving out the obvious ones like Italy.

I can ID most US states but asking the Colorado/Wyoming or Kansas/North Dakota question isn't fair lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe