Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM

836 posts, read 1,254,545 times

Advertisements

I know that sunseekers from northern Europe (e.g. the British Isles, Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia) go to the Mediterranean area (e.g. the French Riviera, Costa del Sol, the Greek islands), plus the Canary Islands and what not, in the summer in big numbers. Do they go to the Mediterranean and so forth also in the winter (at least in the more southerly parts), or do they go more to Florida, the Caribbean, Brazil, islands in the Indian Ocean (e.g. the Seychelles), Southeast Asia (e.g. Thailand), etc. in the winter?

And do retirees from northern Europe who go to warmer/sunnier places in the winter (i.e. "snowbirds") go to the general Mediterranean area or do they go elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,052 times
Many Scandinavians usually visit southern Europe (Mediterreanean), but Thailand is very popular and so are Dubai and Egypt now. Many also visit Florida, Mexico or Caribbean.

Since there are no true tropical climate in mainland Europe, many do not stay there for months.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
In the winter everybody goes to the south of spain mainly. Areas such as malaga and murcia. Alot of people have homes in spain. Some goto the algarve but it isnt too warm there.

People do goto florida but thats mainly in the summer. The american laws make it not worthwhile buying a house there.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
Swedes mostly go to Thailand nowadays, but I think the Canary Islands is still popular.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 AM

I think the Canary islands are an awful long flight. We may aswell just goto America. Sometimes the flight actually takes 5 hours.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
We live in Paris. Before the € (well even during the early € years still) we used my wife and I to snowbird on the Spanish costas (Puerto Mazarron, Torrevieja south of Alicante- the best climate overall on the costas, much better than the so called "costa tropical" around Almeria and Almunecar) and of course the Canary islands.
Now with the strong € we go Thailand, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize (soon I hope).
We totally skip the African continent (too many security problems, very expensive if one wants to live the Western way,and South Africa is too far) although I 've heard only good things about Morocco (more and more French retirees and snowbirders down there).
Indian is termpting too, the only problem is that I'm afraid to get sick tehre.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
This winter we spent a month in Uganda, next winter it's Thailand. The winter after will likely be SW Florida.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I think the Canary islands are an awful long flight. We may aswell just goto America. Sometimes the flight actually takes 5 hours.
Owen, it is physically impossible to arrive in Florida in 5 hours from the British Isles. I live 3600 miles away from Heathrow on a non-stop flight while to WPB it is 4300 miles and it takes airplanes flying out of Heathrow 8 hours to reach Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
We live in Paris. Before the € (well even during the early € years still) we used my wife and I to snowbird on the Spanish costas (Puerto Mazarron, Torrevieja south of Alicante- the best climate overall on the costas, much better than the so called "costa tropical" around Almeria and Almunecar) and of course the Canary islands.
Now with the strong € we go Thailand, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize (soon I hope).
We totally skip the African continent (too many security problems, very expensive if one wants to live the Western way,and South Africa is too far) although I 've heard only good things about Morocco (more and more French retirees and snowbirders down there).
Indian is termpting too, the only problem is that I'm afraid to get sick tehre.
What about the Dominican Republic? How popular is it with non-Spanish Europeans? It's popular for Americans, safer than Mexico these days and probably a bit cheaper too.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM

It is a 5 hour flight to nyc so do not call me a liar.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It is a 5 hour flight to nyc so do not call me a liar.
No it's not. If it takes me half an hour to fly to NYC, it does not take you 5. The only way you're getting to NYC, and Florida curiously as well, in 5 hours is if you're making the trip in a RAF Tornado. Translation: you need to be flying 800mph which is breaking the sound barrier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe