Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 12:58 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow......... and where do you think the Americans would have spent a few years gathering their soldiers and equipment ready for an invasion of Europe, if Britain had not defeated the Luftwaffe in 1940? My Uncle spent five years a prisoner of the Germans. That was his contribution to Europe. My wife's father was blown up, and shot, and spent two years in hospital. That was his contribution also.
I never deny that UK contributed. France, the Netherlands, or Poland contributed too.

Just because the UK was not eventually occupied doesn't mean it is more significant than others. If it were located at where France was, it would have fallen in 6 weeks too. There is no special pride in that.

That's all I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,235,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Most likely because all people born in N.I. are automatically entitled to an RoI passport in addition to their UK passport, and RoI is not on the US exclusion list. As a British subject, sickandtired is able to freeload on benefits conferred only by the government of RoI an entity she despises. Oh, the irony.
No.. It is because there aren't many Northern Irish people there. Read the site

Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,256,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It does say "except Northern Ireland", which seems to be where that poster is from. No idea why there is an exception for Northern Ireland, which however is not part of Britain, anyway.
the quota system was authored by an Irish American..Ted Kennedy

Old 10-01-2015, 03:31 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,877,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I never deny that UK contributed. France, the Netherlands, or Poland contributed too.

Just because the UK was not eventually occupied doesn't mean it is more significant than others. If it were located at where France was, it would have fallen in 6 weeks too. There is no special pride in that.

That's all I am saying.
Of course it was more significant! If Britain hadn't stood up to the Nazis and defeated them in the Battle of Britain most of Europe would be speaking Russian right now!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,639,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No.. It is because there aren't many Northern Irish people there. Read the site
Which site? I have zero plans to go on some wild goose chase based on your cryptic postings.

If you want me to read something, provide a link to it, and specify what precisely you want me to read, and why.

Seems you're not very familiar with how d'interwebs work.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:28 PM

10,932 posts, read 11,657,815 times
It ain't going to happen. The referendum will not be about leaving the EU, but rather about the participation of the UK in certain aspects of EC policy, such as immigration and refugee policy, The right of immigrants from other EU countries to receive UK welfare benefits (Social Policy), and the like. I think Cameron will be looking for exclusions (reservations) from these types of policies, much like those Denmark has received. Ultimately, these reservations will allow Cameron to solve the problems that are causing dissent in the EU much more effectively, without leaving the EU.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,797,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow......... and where do you think the Americans would have spent a few years gathering their soldiers and equipment ready for an invasion of Europe, if Britain had not defeated the Luftwaffe in 1940? My Uncle spent five years a prisoner of the Germans. That was his contribution to Europe. My wife's father was blown up, and shot, and spent two years in hospital. That was his contribution also.
Sorry about that (my great grandfather and his brother were Luftwaffe officers, KIA). Let bygones be bygones eh?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,822,135 times
My British friends, since you have a possibility to leave the sinking ship, I advise it to do it before it is too late and you get stuck in the Titanic...

Old 10-07-2015, 07:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,625,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Of course it was more significant! If Britain hadn't stood up to the Nazis and defeated them in the Battle of Britain most of Europe would be speaking Russian right now!
Britain didn't defeat anyone during WWII. It surrender to Japan in the east and could not protect itself until someone else came to rescue in the west. It wasn't occupied for the only reason that it is an island. Nothing more.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My British friends, since you have a possibility to leave the sinking ship, I advise it to do it before it is too late and you get stuck in the Titanic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe