Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM

29 posts, read 143,124 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We will be vacationing in Barcelona, Spain. I've never been to the area, so I'm trying to get some tips on what areas to avoid. We will be staying in this location:

This place is on Avinguda del Paral·lel, not too far from the World Trade Center Barcelona. We would like to walk as much as possible. We also would like to maintain our running routine. Any tips in terms of which areas to avoid - safety and vehicle traffic wise is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 AM

88 posts, read 235,193 times
Apparently Las Ramblas stretch is pretty dangerous after dark with muggings, prostitution, etc. I've walked up and down the strip at all times of the day and never had a problem though.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I was mugged to times in Barcelona, once in the Barrio chino another time on the beach. Never again! I'll never set foot in Barcelona again!
(and I forgot to mention that 2 times I had very close encounters with rowdy tourists)

Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
I've been to Barcelona many times and never been mugged. There must be something about your face...

By the way, the Barrio Chino is the traditional prostitution area. Got lost on your way to the museums?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM

647 posts, read 797,205 times
Las Ramblas is more safer than Barrio Chino, although I never been mugged in Barcelona.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I was mugged to times in Barcelona, once in the Barrio chino another time on the beach. Never again! I'll never set foot in Barcelona again!
How did you got mugged? At gunpoint or were they with more people?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
How did you got mugged? At gunpoint or were they with more people

The first time it was 30 year ago, we were two students (two guys) who were spending a weekend in Barcelona looking for a good time , it was a bit my friend's fault in fact, he made me follow him in the Barrio chino because he was interested in hookers (I wasn't but didnt want to remain alone so I followed him). At a corner of a street (my friend was already 2 streets up front) 3 young guys sprang on me (it was nighttime), I got my pockets ripped off, and then they disappeared, I stand no chance, I screamed, my friend runned back to me, but it was too late! I must say also that the police was completely inefficient and *not interested*.
The second time was 3 years ago, I had rented a car in Gerona , we were going back from vacations (end of August) and my wife wanted to go a last time to the beach at La Escala bfore leaving Spain, we parked the car behind the beach, while we were sunbathing, the trunk was pried open by thugs and all our luggage disappearded!
Good bye Barcelona!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
How did you got mugged? At gunpoint or were they with more people

The first time it was 30 year ago, we were two students (two guys) who were spending a weekend in Barcelona looking for a good time , it was a bit my friend's fault in fact, he made me follow him in the Barrio chino because he was interested in hookers (I wasn't but didnt want to remain alone so I followed him). At a corner of a street (my friend was already 2 streets up front) 3 young guys sprang on me (it was nighttime), I got my pockets ripped off, and then they disappeared, I stand no chance, I screamed, my friend runned back to me, but it was too late!
[/b]
Reminds me of what happened to me in Cozumel, Mexico almost 2 years ago.
Only difference is that i was (a lil bit) drunk and just took some money out of a ATM,
100 meters down the road 2 guys push me to the ground while the 3rd one checks my pockets, lucky for me they let me keep my credit card but all my cash money for that day (something like $120) was gone in just 10 seconds.
Worst thing about it was that there were tourists watching from a distance but never tried to help me.

Anyway i would like to visit Barcelona, want to see the best football player the world has seen live in action for sure.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataCollector View Post
Hi everyone. We will be vacationing in Barcelona, Spain. I've never been to the area, so I'm trying to get some tips on what areas to avoid. We will be staying in this location:

This place is on Avinguda del Paral·lel, not too far from the World Trade Center Barcelona. We would like to walk as much as possible. We also would like to maintain our running routine. Any tips in terms of which areas to avoid - safety and vehicle traffic wise is appreciated.

Be careful at all famous crowded tourist destinations, as pickpocketing is more of a problem than muggings. La Rambla, Sagrada Família, Plaça de Catalunya, Barri Gotic and so on. I would avoid La Rambla as a whole. There's just a lot of tourists, people selling crap aggressively and really nothing to see there.
I've been staying at a hotel on Paral-lel myself, and it's a safe area. Always a lot of people and there's a police station at the western end of the street near that big roundabout.
Eixample (the grid plan area) is generally also very safe, even if some streets look deserted at night. But they are wide and well lit.

Barcelona is actually much safer than it's reputation suggest. Just keep your common sense and take normal precautions and you'll be fine. Don't flash any valuables, keep an outlook while on ATM:s, don't walk on dark alleys at night and so on. I've been twice, and never encountered any kind of problems even in the middle of the night.
The area around Parc Güell is quite run down, and I wouldn't walk there at night. I still suggest you visit the park at daytime, it's great. Can't think of any other areas which could be bad. Wandered around Trinitat Nova and Trinitat Vella in the middle of the night, and that looks like a perfect place for muggings. Didn't see a soul.

If you want to run, you definitely want to check out the Parc de Montjuïc at the south end of that map. It's really beautiful, but the terrain is quite hilly, so it can be a bit tough.

The distances in Barcelona are greater than the map suggests. The grids are very large, and "a few blocks" may take some time. I suggest you take advantage of the excellent metro system. It's cheap, air conditioned, runs frequently and on time.
About traffic, it's dense and heavy, but the city is very walkable. Just be careful if you are planning to run red lights while walking.

Hope this helped.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Don't play the shell game!
They let fake players winning, cheat all the time -HINT: look at the hands, not the shells-.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe