Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboconsudor View Post
30 something. I know because I knew this Swiss antiquarian that had an old German carton board depicting face shapes of different phenotypes. Every phenotype had names like "graceful alpine with mediterranean influence"..."mellow aryan"...Really, quite saddening that a nation like Germany, the summun in science at that time, could have adopted such quackish theories.
To which theories are you referring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Yeah...not really. Germany has shorter waiting times, better after hours care, and much more frequent use of electronic records.
That could be, but what good does it do when you go to the doc and he doesn't do anything for you? A relative of mine living in Germany says they work on a daily minimum quota system, so if you're an "extra" patient, they blow you off, and get paid for the time anyway. That doesn't happen in Canada.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 AM

291 posts, read 474,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That could be, but what good does it do when you go to the doc and he doesn't do anything for you? A relative of mine living in Germany says they work on a daily minimum quota system, so if you're an "extra" patient, they blow you off, and get paid for the time anyway. That doesn't happen in Canada.
That's anecdotal evidence though. It might just so happen that your relative's doctor is an @sshole.
AFAIK, German doctors are paid on a per-procedure basis too.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM

2,298 posts, read 3,106,035 times
Medical care here is excellent, can choose and change my doctor at will, go whenever I want and have had only great emergency service.

Just had to go to the emergency dental service at midnight on a Sunday and had a root canal done in less than 40 minutes after my arrival. Have been twice to emergency room twice once for a broken ankle and another for a badly sprained ankle, I always have been taken care of promptly. I have been to the ER a couple of times with my daughter as well and again it was top.

The hospital where my daughter was born was excellent as was the follow up.

I have never had to pay a cent beyond my mandatory insurance.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
That's anecdotal evidence though. It might just so happen that your relative's doctor is an @sshole.
AFAIK, German doctors are paid on a per-procedure basis too.
They are in the US as well, but that doesn't mean you get anything for it. Most of the time, unless you have something simple, like an injury, the doctors don't take the patients' concerns seriously, and send them home without providing a service. But they get paid anyway. It sounds like Germany is no better.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM

291 posts, read 474,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They are in the US as well, but that doesn't mean you get anything for it. Most of the time, unless you have something simple, like an injury, the doctors don't take the patients' concerns seriously, and send them home without providing a service. But they get paid anyway. It sounds like Germany is no better.
I would imagine that depends on the doctor in question. I'm sure there's more than a "doctor Haus" in Germany. I'm sure Canadian doctors can find a way to shirk their duties as well.
Generally, the German healthcare system is considered one of the best in the world. Perhaps there are some threads on its quality.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM

101 posts, read 319,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
To which theories are you referring?

Police forces in Europe were influenced by a French called Gobineau. He advocated that facial features were giveways of criminal behaviour. The step further was to create those boards showing "phenotypes", "noses", "recessive fronts"...etc.

Nazis went even farther classifying phenotypes with "precriminal" tendencies, so all suspects were matched against those models.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:26 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,487,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboconsudor View Post
Police forces in Europe were influenced by a French called Gobineau. He advocated that facial features were giveways of criminal behaviour. The step further was to create those boards showing "phenotypes", "noses", "recessive fronts"...etc.

Nazis went even farther classifying phenotypes with "precriminal" tendencies, so all suspects were matched against those models.
This is not what I was referring to. I was referring to the different subsets of German phenotypes from an objective, anthropological perspective. What you're referring to is purely subjective.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,917,720 times
Quote:
This is not what I was referring to. I was referring to the different subsets of German phenotypes from an objective, anthropological perspective. What you're referring to is purely subjective.
And how is this related to this thread? Leave it to the Americans to make every thread about race and skin tones. Thanks for making us look like the the New Nazis of the planet

Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,467,580 times
Quote:
There's no such thing, I have some training in physical anthropology and this is an anachronism from the early twentieth century. Physical anthropology recognizes that some physical features occur more frequently in some populations than in others, but basically most phenotypes will be expressed in a population and the range of osteological variance between individuals in a population is much greater then the variance between populations, making this kind of typing of thirty kinds of German totally useless as a tool of physical anthropology. Race itself is something of a false category as humans groups tend to gradually transition over a piece of geography and not in sharp ways, but really the only broad categories we have for typing skulls is Caucasoid (Europeans, Indians etc), Mongoloid (East Asian), Negroid (Sub-saharan African), and Native American. There's also some obscure ones like Melanesian and such, but basically that's all that can be relied upon as far as physical anthropological typing, and from a skull you don't know that type with total certainty, just from an aggregate of measurements you can assign a statistical likelihood of it being each of the groups, so like a 10% chance of Caucasoid, 75% chance of Negroid, 15% chance of Mongoloid sort of deal in an ideal setting where that sort of stuff has clear boundaries. It's not really used much outside of forensic anthropology where people always ask about race. Where it's most useful is when you have a bunch of skulls from a community and want to ID them, so you can see if a 500 year old mass grave in the Dominican Republic was full of, say, African slaves or native Taino's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe