Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the Rhine-Ruhr area of Germany, but it's quite sprawled out, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
All in all, Europe is Europe, the US and is the US
Actually, Europe is not Europe. Swedish cities and Italian cities, for example, are very different.

For that matter, the US is not the US. I have a hard time saying that say Baltimore, MD and Scottsdale, AZ are within a recognizably American scheme of urban planning and architecture.

There are European cities dominated by low density sprawl, and compact, American cities.

The one platitude you can make is that American cities more often have a downtown characterized by tall buildings or even skyscrapers. A phenomenon not absent, but not characteristic of most cities in Europe.

To address the OP's question, I would say that you can't often generalize about major cities based on their countries. For example, New York City and London have more in common with each other than they do with the countries they are in. I could say the same about San Francisco and Melbourne, or Seattle and Oslo (despite the differences in scale).

Old 06-22-2013, 02:19 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
You know in a lot of cities in Europe the suburbs are actually bad parts of town and the "city" is where the affluent live and play. It's the exact opposite in the US.
I wonder where that myth comes from? The banlieues of Paris? I can't think of many cities in Europe with deprived suburbs. Yes, oftentimes the city centers are very expensive and desirable places to live, but many many middle-class Europeans (and also quite a few upper-class people) live a happy, safe suburban life with more or less the same benefits and drawbacks as American suburbanites. The only major difference I can think of is that most suburbs in Europe are cities in their own right and have a more developed infrastructure (i.e. walkable core, stores...) than their American counterparts.
Even Paris has middle-class and upper-class suburbs.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
LOL. I wasn't aware many American cities have "illegal vending carts selling bacon wrapped corn on the cob covered in mayo[.]"
It's an LA thing.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Actually, Europe is not Europe. Swedish cities and Italian cities, for example, are very different.

For that matter, the US is not the US. I have a hard time saying that say Baltimore, MD and Scottsdale, AZ are within a recognizably American scheme of urban planning and architecture.

There are European cities dominated by low density sprawl, and compact, American cities.

The one platitude you can make is that American cities more often have a downtown characterized by tall buildings or even skyscrapers. A phenomenon not absent, but not characteristic of most cities in Europe.

To address the OP's question, I would say that you can't often generalize about major cities based on their countries. For example, New York City and London have more in common with each other than they do with the countries they are in. I could say the same about San Francisco and Melbourne, or Seattle and Oslo (despite the differences in scale).
Very good post. Haven't been to Europe yet myself but I can't imagine all European cities being similar enough to directly compare to one another. Just look at San Francisco and Los Angeles, they are about as different as two American cities can be.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Very good post. Haven't been to Europe yet myself but I can't imagine all European cities being similar enough to directly compare to one another. Just look at San Francisco and Los Angeles, they are about as different as two American cities can be.
Although their outer regions share some things in common .

Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Although their outer regions share some things in common .
Forgive me, I don't do the CD thing of using city and metro interchangeably as these are also different between the two. LA has "suburbs" that are still within the city of Los Angeles. San Francisco is it's own county and all outlying areas are in different counties and in many cases can be considered suburbs of San Jose or Oakland.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Liverpool and Manchester were used as filming locations to pass as New York City in this film:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfie_(2004_film)

Winners for the thread?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
^^ Glasgow was used to pass as New York in the new film World War Z.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

21 posts, read 23,431 times
Aside from NY and a few old cities with "gentrified" downtowns that were subject to rigurous urban planning (removing winos, disadvantaged minorities and poor whites), the rest of American cities do not bear any resemblance at all.

Many American cities are the size of some European countries.

The main difference is the use of space..the infinite frontier...and the fact than in Europe there are no segments of the population confined in ghettos, very dangerous ghettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe