Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Went to Florence, Carpi, Pisa, Rome, and Venice. Food did not live up to the hype.

And I agree with the pizza not being that good. More toppings you get, the less chesse on the pizza. The Gelato was very good.
Dub...Yes I agree Capri is a mad house and a rip-off joint. But if you take the bus ride up to Anacapri - which is where the real people live - it is a different world, the food is fabulous; there are few tourists and the lifestyle is relaxed....and oh, the caprese pizza. For ten days, I ate hardly anything else except for salad and ice-cream.

A little known secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Dub...Yes I agree Capri is a mad house and a rip-off joint. But if you take the bus ride up to Anacapri - which is where the real people live - it is a different world, the food is fabulous; there are few tourists and the lifestyle is relaxed....and oh, the caprese pizza. For ten days, I ate hardly anything else except for salad and ice-cream.

A little known secret.
Was the ice cream sweetened with real sugar or corn syrup?

Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Was stationed in Gaeta, a small city halfway between Rome and Naples. You can find classic tailors and cobblers (shoe makers) in some parts of Italy. A custom made Italian suit and shoes are very comfortable. Be sure to have extra fabric to allow the suit to be let out if you gain weight. The best food is outside the tourist areas. Example, in Ancona (northwest Italy) a family turned their garage into a restaurant. The quality of the food and service put the tourist city restaurants to shame. In Gaeta, seafood was always fresh caught that morning except for Sunday. Olive oil and local family wine are good buys. While there, enjoy the local fruits and vegetables but you can't bring them home. If in season, they have excellent lemons. Don't expect Italian food to taste like Americanized Italian food. It has it's own flavor. Check with US Customs ahead of time for items prohibited from bringing back with you. I know fruit and vegetables are forbidden, don't know about cheese. Learn some French and Italian before your trip. This will help you in France to know what they're saying about you or what they did to your food. My ancestors are from France, but I hate the people of France for their attitude, rudeness, and overall nasty behavior towards Americans who aren't rich celebrities. Of all the many countries I visited, France had, by far, the worst customer service and aloof people. You could not pay me to go back. Perhaps they're friendlier out in the countryside. But not along the coastal areas.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM

24 posts, read 33,753 times
All the pastries in France, the gelato in Italy...

Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,528 times
you should buy the art or special thing which is famous in that country.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Paris/France

I buy makeup, scarves, and food items that are preserved in jars. The honey from the lavender fields in Provence is delicious...you can get it in Paris. I also buy soaps and lotions. I also love Lettanneur handbags. They last forever and no one else will have one. I think they opened before 1900, if I remember correctly. They cost a bit more or less than Coach or other similar brand depending on the material used.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 PM

28 posts, read 34,469 times
Thank you to everyone for your info I had a great time.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
If you go to Venice test - mozzarella in carrozza - it can be filled with different stuff even with fish, depending on the stuff inside choose wine, l ad sparkling white for fish, anyway not so bad the red raboso

When you order add this words...mi son Venesian..it's ancient Venetian slang.. mean ..l'm Venetian, you will be considered as a brother

Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Wine.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wine.
Yep, I have to second this--but make it wine that is unavailable to you in the US--wine from small producers. A wine shop can help you buy some bottles that are produced in limited quantity.

+grappa in Italy
+cognac, pastis, and absinthe in France
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe