Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've lived in Denmark for almost 20 years and travel to other countries a lot, to cities and the country-side. Renting a car in any city, esp. the big ones, is a bad idea. Public transit well above US standards for intra-city travel. Getting in and out of major cities is another enormous nightmare due to unfamiliarity with signs, traffic and driving habits. We fly everywhere and we only rent a car if we are going into the country-side to stay, which we do most of time. If we stay in a large city, we use public transit and walk. If you want to do inter-city travel, to view the sights, rent a car the day you leave, and be prepared for some stress getting out of town, but the charges for drop off in a different location are large.

Italian drivers in rural areas and highways are just as sweet as they can be. They just like to drive fast. Germans drive even faster and the Autobhans are still hell because there are only lorries in the right lane and speeders in all other lanes (they all have speed limits, now). City and rush hour traffic is bad. Americans are much more relaxed about letting you change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic.

The UK and Ireland are a special cases. Have you ever driven on the left hand side? Ever entered a traffic circle in which the flow is clock-wise? Good luck.
No, it isn't that Italians drive fast, it's that they are taught to regard nothing beside nor behind them. Even in rural areas, they disregard lanes and aren't aware of anyone around them.
Public transit is light years ahead of America in most cities, but driving can be a unique adventure if you're up to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I've rented a car in on several occasions and found Germany to be the cheapest for my itinerary. I would make a loop around Switzerland, perhaps austria, italy, always visited France. I prefer the rural areas so a car fitted my flexible traveling style. I'd also take a tent so I could camp if I chose.

BUT- if your trip will mainly be cities public transport is the way to go.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I would avoid Belgium.
I wouldn't

Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I've rented a car in on several occasions and found Germany to be the cheapest for my itinerary. I would make a loop around Switzerland, perhaps austria, italy, always visited France. I prefer the rural areas so a car fitted my flexible traveling style. I'd also take a tent so I could camp if I chose.

BUT- if your trip will mainly be cities public transport is the way to go.
Yes, Germany is usually the cheapest option. The cars available are better, too.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
In my future I would love to fly to a European city, and then rent a car with unlimited milage and travel to several countries and major capital cities in a week or two. What's the best city to fly to, rent a car and then drive to other places? I would like to see western Europe. A cruise in Southern Europe/Mediterreanean is a must as well. I want to see especially England, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Belgium.

I love visiting many countries in short period, just to say I've been there competition
I've done this several times. I usually fly into Frankfurt, Germany and rent a car and from there, it's very easy to see Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland.

Roads are great, traffic laws are easy to understand, and all you need is a passport and your current drivers' license.

My husband and I visited England a few weeks ago. We rented a car there, too, and drove all the way up to the northern coast. We had a blast.

I MUCH prefer renting a car to relying on public transportation. Yes, the gas is more expensive in Europe than in the US, but the cars also generally get better gas mileage. And I like having the complete freedom to stop and go whenever I like.

I stay off the autobahns/interstate/major highways as much as possible. I much prefer driving on secondary roads and seeing the "real" countryside, smaller towns and villages, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I wouldn't
Me either - Belgium is beautiful. My favorite Belgian city is Ghent. And if someone is interested in WW2 history, there's lots of it scattered throughout the country.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Me either - Belgium is beautiful. My favorite Belgian city is Ghent. And if someone is interested in WW2 history, there's lots of it scattered throughout the country.
World War I history as well!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
I like the option given by others to use public transportation, so I recommend that as well.

If you do insist on driving, do not rent a car in the UK and then go to mainland Europe with plans to drop the car off somewhere there. Rent a car in the UK, drop it off in the Uk and then rent a car on mainland Europe. In the UK they drive on the left side of the road, so a car rented in the UK would a bit of a hassle to drive in the other countries.
Second, make your route logical. Either start in the south (France or Switserland) and then move up north (Holland, Belgium and Germany) or do it the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe