Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
They can be a bit too blunt sometimes, though.
Once a German I had met on vacation in Spain invited us home for a weekend visit, my wife and I. Very kind, no doubt about it. However the last day was marred by the fact that my credit card for some reasons didn't work, so he had to pay the restaurant's bill although I had told him I wanted to invite him. I promised I would make up for it later, but hence he was very cold and seemed very annoyed. Later on when we parted I told me how much we enjoyed the time we spent together and how friendly I found him he answered in an icy tone :
"I'm not your friend".
Germans are "special" for sure...
One experience and you paint an entire nationality?
How very interesting.
Should everyone judge all French by how you post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeDoneYet? View Post
My husband is one of the nicest guys I know and is definitely not fake. He actually has a very low tolerance for fake people. His niceness is very sincere.

When we moved to Germany for a three year military assignment, our first task was finding a house, so we drove through village after village on our house hunting ventures. My husband waved to each and every person we passed and we NEVER got a wave back. It actually was pretty amusing, as we not only didn't get waves but also got very mean looks. I told him to give it a rest but he said he couldn't, as that's his nature.

Over the three years we lived there, I met some very wonderful Germans but also met some very grouchy ones. After reading this thread, they would probably say they're not grouchy, just direct. The direct German personality-type was one I had a really tough time getting used to, although I love Germany and miss many things about it!
You were living in a military community.
Perhaps their experiences with the military community were not so good.
My big gripe about military communities is that they PCS and leave their animals for the local community to take care of.
It's a big problem in many communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeDoneYet? View Post
Just a nice, "How's it going?" kind of wave. Nothing weird or out of the ordinary. It happens all the time here in the States but obviously isn't well-received in Germany.
This is the reason why it's good to learn a little about a country before you just trot off and think it's little USA, or that it should be.
Every base has an introduction to the culture that a new person is supposed to take within the first 30 days.
You become an ambassador for the US if you like it or not.
It's best to learn the local culture and behaviors - not judge the locals because they're not like you, the transplant.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In the American south it is very common for strangers to wave at each other, or to wave at a driver in the car that you're passing for that matter.
But the poster was not in the US south.
They were in another country with different cultural norms.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,956 times
The fact that I was sitting at the table and in the same room I thought meant I would be part of the conversation. They spoke German most of the time around me.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The Germans Ive met have usually be very nice
I agree. I've never been there, but I've seen a lot of them in Mallorca during summer holidays.

Dutch and Flemish Belgian people I've met in Mallorca, also in their own countries, look even better than German ones.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:20 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But the poster was not in the US south.
They were in another country with different cultural norms.
Waving at strangers from a passing car isn't normal anywhere I've lived in the US, let alone abroad.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Outside of that, English ability was poor or non-existent outside of Berlin.
LOL - last time I was in Berlin we were leaving our hotel and on the way to the U-Bahn station when we passed a wino/tramp/bum/down-and-out who was clearly drunk as a skunk and ranting to nobody in particular in German. As we passed him he heard us talking English and immediately swapped to English and wished us a pleasant morning before continuing his rant to the heavens - in English! Now that is class.

Personally, on all my trips to Germany I found the German people I encountered to be nothing but warm, friendly and polite. I'm sure that rude Germans exist somewhere but like everywhere else in the world most people are nice and if you treat people with politeness and respect they will be polite and respectful back. Of course, even nice people can be having a bad day sometimes...

Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Germany is great , they have a very pragmatic attitude to education for example , they accept that not everyone is cut out for academia so apprenticeship type third level institutions are available for people who are more manually skilled , I like how Germany still values the manufacturing sector , something the uk appears to have left to rot

Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I think germans tend to just be direct and it can be perceived as rude as cultural norms vary.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
something the uk appears to have left to rot
Eh, not really. Plenty of young people who take A-Levels have opted to not go to university but rather go straight into work, such as a factory for Cadbury's, which was recently on the news because it has taken on a lot of highly-qualified young people who have just taken A-Levels, and probably thought that university is too expensive to be worth it.

Perhaps you meant to say 'Ireland' instead of 'the UK'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe